• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies that You Liked at First Viewing But then Began to Hate

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I typically don't end up hating a movie after liking it. But there are two movies that, while still enjoyable to me (especially certain segments), some aspects of them grate on me.

One is Dead Poet's Society. Certain aspects of it resonate with me (basically the lives of the various boys) -- and it's a tribute to the strength of the acting by the youngest and least experienced members of the cast that this movie endures so well. However, the Robin Williams "stand up" humor in the classroom and some of the "do your own thing" lessons end up feeling contrived / break the reality of the movie.

The other is A Few Good Men. The biggest problem with this movie is that it's just way too tightly scripted. You can almost see the script in your head as you watch the movie. The lines are all perfect, there's little that is fresh or raw, it's such a "production" vs something that organically unfolds. A few places, the actors (even Nicholson) seem to obviously quoting dialogue, not just responding to things that are happening. I still do enjoy watching it from time to time because some of those scenes and lines are so great (lots of "quotables" in that movie), but it's obviously a MOVIE to me... whereas the movies that really linger with me stop feeling like movies and just feel like they're happening for real.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't say I hate them, but any of the epic, super-high special effects movies I love to see once, but not repeatedly. These include Star Wars. Although I will watch them multiple times, I just don't enjoy them that much if there isn't deeper character development and something new to discover, or there isn't just an invitation to feel silly. I'll watch comedies multiple times.

Little_Sticks

I really liked it the first time watching. But watching it a second time, it seemed really silly. I'm not even sure what I liked about it now. I think it was fun to watch them be bad-asses, so maybe watching it again would ruin that, if I already know what happens.

I think it's the same reason I used to like watching Dragon Ball Z, despite it being a really silly show in retrospect. The parodies are hilarious.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't seen 300, but it seems valid as a historical document of ancient Greece. Pretty sure all historians agree that the Spartans fought monsters.

Do the ever explain the monsters in the movie? Everything I've read suggests that they didn't.

Actually, I kind of want to watch this movie now.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't seen 300, but it seems valid as a historical document of ancient Greece. Pretty sure all historians agree that the Spartans fought monsters.

Do the ever explain the monsters in them movie? Everything I've read suggests that they didn't.

Actually, I kind of want to watch this movie now.

You should. 300 is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel (comic) which is based on the book "Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae" by Steven Pressfield. Both of them were awesome in and of themselves, and the movie brought its own kind of awesome to its interpretation.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Off hand without thinking hard...

-Transformers - superficially entertaining at first but boring after that.
-Titanic - the ship sinking part is good no matter how many times I see that. The love story, good the first time or two, but not so much after that.
- Jerry Maguire - LOVE this movie for various reasons, but the ending is bad. What happened at the end would have never happened in real life.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I loved Disney's Three Musketeers when I was nine... now it's quite embarrassing to watch.