User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I am so confused. I moved some posts out into a new thread about racism and memes and whatnot. PLEASE do not continue the hostility in that thread or either of these others. (I just realized there are two threads, "movies you thought you hated" and "movies you thought you liked" or something.)

CIVIL discussion about whether certain memes are racist or not can continue here:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...it-thread.html

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Gladiator. I liked it the first two or three times I watched it. The most recent time, I could not get over how many logic problems and plot holes there were. I don't know why I suddenly decided it was too stupid to tolerate.

Peter Jackson's The Return of the King. On first viewing, I was struck by the beautiful scene with the lighting of beacons to aid Minas Tirith. At this point, I don't even remember any other reasons I might not have hated this movie. I think Fellowship is the least bad of the trilogy, mostly for the scenes in The Shire at the beginning.

So I Married An Axe Murderer. I actually own this on DVD. It has one awesome scene (Head! Paper! Now!) surrounded by a bunch of others that mostly fall flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I awaited this movie with high expectations, loved every minute of my first, second, third, fourth viewing. Now for some reason I can't stand that movie. I hate everything about it.
    This is one of the times I'm glad no one on this forum knows me IRL... I love Indepence Day. If I notice it's on tv, I will watch it. Every time. But the first time or two I saw it, I thought, "Meh, okay action movie." I like it MORE now than I did when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Also, Judd Nelson's fist pump at the end is probably the single most cringe-inducing scene I've ever witnessed.
    IMO, it's not even the worst scene in that movie. Ally Sheedy is so interesting and cute through most of the picture, and turning her into a glamour girl was fucking crime. Like, she's all independent and quirky, and then they "fix" her by turning her into fucking Molly Ringwald? (no offense to 16-year-old crushes)

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Gladiator. I liked it the first two or three times I watched it. The most recent time, I could not get over how many logic problems and plot holes there were. I don't know why I suddenly decided it was too stupid to tolerate.

Peter Jackson's The Return of the King. On first viewing, I was struck by the beautiful scene with the lighting of beacons to aid Minas Tirith. At this point, I don't even remember any other reasons I might not have hated this movie. I think Fellowship is the least bad of the trilogy, mostly for the scenes in The Shire at the beginning.

So I Married An Axe Murderer. I actually own this on DVD. It has one awesome scene (Head! Paper! Now!) surrounded by a bunch of others that mostly fall flat.

This is one of the times I'm glad no one on this forum knows me IRL... I love Indepence Day. If I notice it's on tv, I will watch it. Every time. But the first time or two I saw it, I thought, "Meh, okay action movie." I like it MORE now than I did when it came out.
    I never thought about how unrealistic the lighting of the beacons is while reading the book. Now that I can actually see the reality of it, I have to ask: you mean there are solitary individuals living on top of mountain peaks, where it is freezing cold, windy, and snowy the entire year, waiting for the opportunity to light a lamp? Where do they get the supplies to live, food to eat, wood to burn to keep warm? Is there enough oxygen up there to breathe? How do they survive the cold in those huts? And where do they find such special people to live 10 - 15,000 feet in the sky?

I don't hate the movie or the series. But the end of Sauron in Return was more spectacular in the book. The actual imagery of Sauron's spirit rising up taller than the Earth itself, leveling a dour finger at the armies of the good, and then being blown away piece by piece by the wind from the West, would have looked spectacular on the big screen. But all Jackson did was have Sauron's tower fall down - for no particular reason, I might add. There was nothing about the destruction of the One Ring that would cause the tower to fall. The scene was well done, but unnecessary.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

They Live
    Could any infp sunglasses at night kid with a silent me-against-the-world plotline resist their reflection in grandpa Roddy. Don't have any feelings one way or another but we'll say I loved it because I am egotistical, though am no longer nor able to write coherently or surprised by the absence of plot development or cool wresting moves.

Decline of the Western Empire
    Almendros may have been pulling strings covertly because we've a well-executed, beautifully-shot ensemble and despite the lack of character depth became a fun alternative to Scary Movie ten years ago but I've grown braincells since, in that I can now tell time.

Saving grace: "I always fuck my wife better after I've cheated on her."

A Clockwork Orange
    Let's recycle the same great theme 5000x over 2+hours of drawn-out, exaggerated dick jerking. Hip, but who cares?

Lolita
    Powerful first hour, though maybe if Kubrick revamped Lolita and Hump's lines so they didn't come off so strikingly one-dimensional after momma cluck cluck dies or straightup cut out the last hour I'd still enjoy this.

Honorable mention: Friedkin's To Live and Die in L.A., in a dimension where the thing remotely matches the intensity of each trailer yet dated enough to earn an F.

thinking of you

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    A Clockwork Orange
    Let's recycle the same great theme 5000x over 2+hours of drawn-out, exaggerated dick jerking. Hip, but who cares?
    I didn't think that movie had a theme. If it appeared 5000 times in 2 hours then it must have zoomed by me.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

I used to love the LOTR movies, and have seen each of them dozens of times. After a while though, I found the amount of pomp throughout the movies to be grating, and haven't been able to watch them since.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Pretty much all of Tarantino's movies since Death Proof.

Glycerine

Probably like 98% of the movies I like because I hate rewatching films.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Star Wars prequels. I think this was because I was a rabid fan and I didn't want to admit that, apart from the visuals, they weren't that good.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

parental guidance
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so