User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default SimCity (2013) TypoC team

So the new SimCity, which is the actual sequel to the very first SimCity game just came out today (March 5th) and it's a smash hit (91% on Metacritic). This is not a re-versioning of the game, this is the biggest release since the original and is the culmination of over 10+ years of Maxis' simulator experience. Basically, it's a complete reboot of the game with a brand new engine. A few of us on vent discussed the possibility of sharing a region which allows us to provide each other with critical population

Watch this video first to understand how this works before trying to make sense of the rest of the thread:

There are 7 specialties available: mining (ore and coal), driling (oil), education, gambling, electronics, culture, and trading. A brief guide is available here. The region I have selected has 7 slots each with an advantage in one of the specialties. You will be responsible for working your way up to and building the HQ building of your specialty for the benefit of the region. These are reverse-engineered end game specialty selections to maximize our potential as a region.

City Slot - Specialty - Origin ID
    Trader's Ridge - Trade -
    Petrol Bay - Oil Drilling -
    Cinder - Coal Mining -
    Soiree Sands - Gambling - LaguzMannaz (Mane)
    Summit Vista - Culture - FortStone9 (Eruca)
    Grand Haven - Technology - LvlZeroHero
    Ingot Landing - Ore Mining - jontherobot

Leave a message here with an open specialization and I will send you an invite to the TypologyCentral.com region.
    Last edited by netzealot; 03-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.

WALMART

I call Ingot Landing.

MBTI
    ISTP

We have at least 3 slots left and those who are already working on a city in the TypologyCentral.com region are serious players so I expect things will move along swimmingly.

If you're good at city builders, this game takes the cake and you'd make a great addition to an already strong team of cooperative players.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have questions.

1. Have you guys fallen foul to the apparently horrific sim city login system?
    2. What have you achieved thus far?
    3. How is communication between you, do you use vent, or is there an in-game chat system?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    I have questions.

3. How is communication between you, do you use vent, or is there an in-game chat system?
    1) It is pretty spotty trying to get in at times. I've been able to get in about once for every two tries. Once you're in, the issues are rare.
    2) We have 2 cities hovering between 100-150k population. Nuclear power. I've built a processor plant and I believe JTR has several specialized ore structures. That's about the extent of it in the past 2 days.
    3)There is an in-game chat system.

your resident asshole

So SimCity currently has over 1000 1-star ratings on Amazon. Always-on DRM was a terrible idea.

And I heard they just disabled fast mode. How is everything holding up?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    So SimCity currently has over 1000 1-star ratings on Amazon. Always-on DRM was a terrible idea.

It's a crappy launch, but the DRM bit is a bit off. It's an online game - does it need to be? Not really. But it's modeled after multiple people/cities interacting with each other. The disabling of cheetah (and really, they seem to be just scaling time to adjust server load) is pretty crappy, but it's running now and I quite enjoy it. It's just slow now.

Angry gamers are angry. I saw the same issues when EQ launched, or WOW launched, or D3 launched... It's hard to take the general opinion seriously when the problem virtually comes down to "too successful".

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's a crappy launch, but the DRM bit is a bit off. It's an online game - does it need to be? Not really. But it's modeled after multiple people/cities interacting with each other. The disabling of cheetah (and really, they seem to be just scaling time to adjust server load) is pretty crappy, but it's running now and I quite enjoy it. It's just slow now.

Angry gamers are angry. I saw the same issues when EQ launched, or WOW launched, or D3 launched... It's hard to take the general opinion seriously when the problem virtually comes down to "too successful".
    Its good to see such a comment here. I hate the fact game devs misrepresent their motivations by saying gamers want a service (they dont, they want a game). But the whole angry gamer zerg hive mind thing...anyone would think EA deliberately made their servers bad. Im always critical of unnecessary DRM and--especially--despise in-game DLC selling, but people aren't angry about those things as much as the fact the servers are screwed. Thats inevitable. That always happens with these games. If they didn't want to experience it, they shouldnt have bought a game they knew was always online.

On the other hand, Im glad there is the backlash even if I think its unreasonable. It gives a good message to EA. Anything that might help discourage overdone DRM is hard to dislike.

Maybe Im just not mad because I've not yet shared in the frustrating experience of trying to play simcity. My copy is in the mail (ordered before all this really kicked off), and Im hoping by the time it arrives some of these problems will have been reduced.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    I have questions.

There is actually a wall-posting system, so I can say something and you can read it later, like "just built a solar power farm, you can buy your energy from me" and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post

Unfortunately it's the future. I remember when Steam as a SERVICE wouldn't let you play games in offline mode, and that was like seven years ago. Origin still won't let you activate your account at a new location without online authentication first. The Xbox 360 launch was the same way, Sony's going the same route with the PS4/Vita... Piracy really fucked over the industry, but I don't so much mind. I'll never not have the internet (sans catastrophe) and it's pretty much readily available anywhere outside of my home I go, so...

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

Yeah, Halo 2 was my first experience as a gamer where server load was abysmal to the point of non-playability. I wonder if it's a marketing stunt at times, kind of like under-shipping consoles at launch season...

Also, for the record, I have no server issues anymore. I think around 2-4am they do maintenance for a bit, but they're always back up pretty quick.

MBTI
    ISTP

Right now almost all of the issues have been cleared up. The only one that seems to plague me (not sure if the other people from here have had this) is that about 4-6 hours into a city, it will become corrupted and unaccessible. I cant even start over in the region, so in effect it leaves a marred spot on the region that we can't get rid.

JTR and Mane could tell you I havent been on in the last couple days and this is why. Perhaps if this is fixed soon, and once we get any and all TypoC members we can restart the region... not sure how JTR and Mane feel about that but it would be fun to start at the same spot.

DisneyGeek and ptgatsby... can we count you in?