First 2345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Cars was the shittiest Pixar movie since A Bug's Life.
    Well, I have a soft spot for A Bug's Life (although I don't consider it the best), but Cars I consider worse than much of the early DreamWorks stuff.

And I didn't even see Cars 2, though it has the distinction of being the only Pixar movie with a "Rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
    I saw it on my 17-hour flight to Bangkok a ways back (I figured wth, I have the time, and it was free). It was okay. Better than Cars one, kind of, but that's not saying much.

I think it's safe to say that Pixar is out of ideas, especially since their next one is a sequel to Monsters, Inc. and now there's talk of Toy Story 4. For Christ sake, where is The Inceedibles sequel? That's the sequel that's needed most.
    I'm fine with them not touching The Incredibles until they get an actual story worth telling. It would be hard to follow up on, to be honest... the first was perfect, and Syndrome was a great foil. Pl7us, it might all sound so same old if they redo the musical themes....

I'm a little surprised Pixar is doing all the reruns/sequels lately. Although I guess they want to use their properties to max impact.

... with all the overseas terrorist films lately, they should do the story of a little boy whose parents are killed by drone bombings, and how he tries to find his way back to sanity and emotional health.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Southern Kross, you kicked ass on your predictions. Good show!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The highlight of the night:

But the audience's reaction made it really funny.

It's also nice to know that Kirk didn't die by Picard's side in the new timeline.

But the audience's reaction made it really funny.
    Yes. And MacFarlane had the perfect rejoinder to their ridiculous booing after the Mel Gibson joke:

"Oh, so you're on HIS side."

Johari
    /Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

My favorite host was David Letterman back in the 90s. His attacks were as hardcore as they come and he effortlessly pissed off the majority of Hollywood. I don't get why people said it was one of the worst hostings--his natural comedic timing made it work, IMO.

Now that's how you do it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    My favorite host was David Letterman back in the 90s. His attacks were as hardcore as they come and he effortlessly pissed off the majority of Hollywood. I don't get why people said it was one of the worst hostings--his natural comedic timing made it work, IMO.

Now that's how you do it.
    Sadly, I never watched the Oscars in the early '90s.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I take back what I said. Letterman wasn't all that, actually.
    I do remember the "Eat. Drink. Man. Woman." joke from my youth and I still laugh about it to this day.

That was a good one. Comes in at around 7:05 in the above video.

The "Eat. Drink. Man. Woman." joke is an absolute classic.

That said, even with the disclaimer that Letterman is my all time favorite comedian, I think his hosting gig was pretty weird. It was odd of them to hire someone who would have open disdain for the Oscar bullshit, and it meant that his performance was kind of doomed from the start. That kind of stuff flies with Ricky Gervais and the Golden Globes, because when push comes to shove nobody gives a shit about the Golden Globes. But people give a shit about the Oscars, and it's a terrible decision to hire someone who is going to crap on their big night.

In the end it's not a show meant to entertain the viewer at the expense of the Academy; for better or for worse it's a celebration of the Academy. I mean, Seth MacFarlane tiptoed around it much more judiciously than Letterman did and he's still getting killed. They shouldn't have asked Letterman and he shouldn't have said yes. And any comedians with a sharpened knife should think twice about accepting the job.

Johari
    /Nohari

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I thought it was kind of a mixed bag as a show.
    Yeah, I agree. MacFarlane wasn't all that funny but still managed to entertain and even charm in places. I actually liked all the musical/dance numbers even though I usually find those pretty boring most years. I loved Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron's dance; it was just joyous to watch! Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Daniel Radcliff were also pretty fantastic.

I also loved the Sound of Music joke.

I loved when they showed Charlize Theron looking downright embarrassed when MacFarlane started singing about her boobs, and all the "Boos" from the audience seemed to come from being offended (which proves how stuck-up Hollywood is) rather than him making bad jokes.
    That stuff was pre-recorded (as well as the cutaways to Naomi Watts and Jennifer Lawrence) and was meant to be part of the joke. It wasn't the classiest thing but it was still funny(ish).

My main issue with him was there weren't many belly laughs. And people are going on about how mean he was but I can remember much meaner jokes at the Oscars than he made. It was pretty tame for him.

Overall, though, the guy took many more risks with his jokes than let's say Billy Crystal. And he actually was funny unlike Jon Stewart.
    Yeah, Crystal was mostly same-old-same-old. That stuff worked in the 90s but not now. I really like Stewart - he wasn't the funniest ever but he did a great job.

And you have to admit that anything is better than James Franco and Anne Hathaway.
    Agreed. That was an all-time low. The writing was terrible and Franco made no effort whatsoever. Hathway was OTT but at least she tired to save the show.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Southern Kross, you kicked ass on your predictions. Good show!
    Not really. 18/24 correct isn't the best score considering how much I follow the Award Season. I can't believe I got both screenplay winners wrong.

I was pleased I got 2 out of 3 Shorts right.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Yeah, I agree. MacFarlane wasn't all that funny but still managed to entertain and even charm in places. I actually liked all the musical/dance numbers even though I usually find those pretty boring most years. I loved Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron's dance; it was just joyous to watch! Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Daniel Radcliff were also pretty fantastic.
    My main issue with him was there weren't many belly laughs. And people are going on about how mean he was but I can remember much meaner jokes at the Oscars than he made. It was pretty tame for him.
    I agree. While he wasn't the best host ever, I think a lot of the criticism MacFarlane is receiving is confirmation bias. Lots of people really hate him, and they had their knives out and ready, waiting for him to suck. There is not a lot of acknowledgement among his critics that he's a pretty good song and dance man and that he dialed it back on the offensive humor for the most part.

Not really. 18/24 correct isn't the best score considering how much I follow the Award Season. I can't believe I got both screenplay winners wrong.
    Well, it was good enough to be equal to or better than 16 out of the 17 people in my Oscar pool, which is mostly people in the movie industry :p

Johari
    /Nohari