First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Ang Lee won Best Director? I didn't see that coming.

And the only thing he didn't thank was the now bankrupt Rhythm and Hues Studios for creating the fake CG tiger. Clearly, the film was about the exploitation of visual effects, which is the true future of cinema (not that I'm complaining, just make a better-looking tiger next time).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I loved how at the beginning he managed to legitimately offend some of the audience.
    I read he started out okay and then just really bombed.

But what did they expect? I think Family Guy is way overrated, honestly; the humor comes off as mean-spirited sometimes, so it's no wonder he made some real missteps tonight.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Prediction: there will be terrorist prevention dudes walking around Universal City Station in the subway due to the Oscars.

Oh never mind, I didn't predict that, I actually saw it.

But why were they there? News at 11!

I thought it was kind of a mixed bag as a show.

On the bad side, it didn't seem to have any structure or flow. I'm also pretty sure Kristen Stewart was high. I know she was limping from an injury, but wow she was disoriented.

On the good side, I thought Seth MacFarlane was good, and I think that's probably the most humorless audience a performer can take on. He really held back and still got groans. The John Wilkes Booth joke was probably a bit out of line, but other than that I thought he tread very lightly. He has an obvious love for old Hollywood, and he sings and dances better than Billy Crystal, who they seem to drag out whenever they don't have a better idea.

I was pretty irritated by the very convenient timing when they cut the mic on Bill Westenhofer as he was about to address the crisis going on in the VFX industry. Yeah, he was being played off, but the timing of the actual audio cut-off was REALLY telling.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

My predictions for tongiht:

Best Picture: Argo
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
    Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln
    Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook
    Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln
    Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables
    Best Original Screenplay: Mark Boal for Zero Dark Thirty
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Tony Kushner for Lincoln
    Best Animated Feature Film: Brave
    Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
    Cinematography: Cloudio Miranda for Life of Pi
    Film Editing: Argo
    Production Design: Anna Karenina
    Costume Design: Anna Karenina
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling: The Hobbit
    Original Score: Life of Pi
    Original Song: Adele, Paul Epworth - "Skyfall" for Skyfall
    Best Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
    Best Sound Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
    Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi
    Best Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugarman
    Best Documentary Short: Inocente
    Best Animated Short: Paperman
    Best Live Action Short: Asad

Edit: holy shit

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I read he started out okay and then just really bombed.

But what did they expect? I think Family Guy is way overrated, honestly; the humor comes off as mean-spirited sometimes, so it's no wonder he made some real missteps tonight.
    Actually, he was barely in the show save for the opening. After the actual awards started, he may have appeared once or twice or when there was a commercial break, where he didn't make any jokes. That was the whole problem -- the show seemed uneven.

I loved when they showed Charlize Theron looking downright embarrassed when MacFarlane started singing about her boobs, and all the "Boos" from the audience seemed to come from being offended (which proves how stuck-up Hollywood is) rather than him making bad jokes.

Overall, though, the guy took many more risks with his jokes than let's say Billy Crystal. And he actually was funny unlike Jon Stewart.

And you have to admit that anything is better than James Franco and Anne Hathaway.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I never watch the Oscars, so i can't say much at all. Just describing the mainstream coverage as the event unfolded. And sorry, but i find MacFarlane kind of boorish. Still, they hired him, and it sounds like he performed according to rep, so they got what they wanted.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The one other travesty was Brave winning for Best Animated Feature. It's clear that Pixar is still the Oscar darling, despite being the same thing as Disney now, because Wreck-It Ralph would've won otherwise. It was the stronger movie overall, despite falling apart in the second half when it became the Sarah Silverman show. Still, the first half was a work of genius.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    The one other travesty was Brave winning for Best Animated Feature. It's clear that Pixar is still the Oscar darling, despite being the same thing as Disney now, because Wreck-It Ralph would've won otherwise. It was the stronger movie overall, despite falling apart in the second half when it became the Sarah Silverman show. Still, the first half was a work of genius.
    Yeah, I felt too like it lost its way for a little bit there in the second half, but I appreciated how unique it was. Art design was good. Another biggie -- they didn't glamorize Ralph. Normally these movies soften up good guys or make them good at too much. Ralph in essence remained a thug for the entire movie, kind of blue collar, kind of rough around the edges, he wasn't glamorized at all... but he was a good guy at heart and still managed to let that shine out despite a rough exterior that was sometimes annoying. Also a rather inspired and unexpected casting choice for him, in John C Reilly.

Brave looked really good. I'll say that -- great color pallete, great hair. (ha.) I liked the idea of doing something new, with a mother/daughter relationship, but I felt like much of it fell flat. I barely remember anything that happened, less than a year later, haven't felt much desire to re-watch it (except to watch Marduk the bear), and -- maybe a huge failing for Pixar -- the supporting cast was very cliche and forgettable. That's normally a Pixar strength, but they were simply used for one-shot jokes. Even the witch was not memorable, although the tag ending (which was still predictable) was cute. I consider it one of the weaker entries in the Pixar lineup, although I consider it a step up from the Cars line.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Cars was the shittiest Pixar movie since A Bug's Life. And I didn't even see Cars 2, though it has the distinction of being the only Pixar movie with a "Rotten" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I would rank Brave above the two i saw, I think, but it is no Up. Though being an earlier computer animated movie, back when they were less complex and more cutesy, I give A Bug's Life a free pass.

I think it's safe to say that Pixar is out of ideas, especially since their next one is a sequel to Monsters, Inc. and now there's talk of Toy Story 4. For Christ sake, where is The Inceedibles sequel? That's the sequel that's needed most.