• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House of Cards

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it looks like everyone dropped this series or at least didn't bother to discuss further.

I finally picked up Season 4 earlier this week and just finished. To be honest, I liked it better than Season 3. I think the Underwoods do better when they are under threat and need to work together to keep from going under and to realize their ambitions. This was the effort of the first two seasons, but once Frank became president, then the third season was a bit more unfocused and without as much clarity.

There was something that happens partway into Season 4 (regarding Lukas) that felt very exploitative, the kind of thing that writers do when they don't know what to do with a character or with the plot, so I was kind of rolling my eyes... but there was actually method to the madness. It cleared off part of the board, put a few people in stasis, and the vacuum gave rise to a few other characters taking the initiative to do things. it's interesting to see what happens when the normal characters who command scenes temporarily are not there, so other characters then have space to do something. It also kick-started a few seemingly dead plotlines.

Frank has some pretty disturbing dreams in mid-season, and I love that they actually explore them. They're actually pretty horrific, emotionally; I thought they were great and disturbing. But one thing that does happen is that Frank and Claire are forced to become a team again, and as I noted above, when it's the Underwoods against the world, that's when they become most interesting. I'm glad the series went back to its roots in this way.

And okay -- Ellen Burstyn. I love this woman. (She plays Claire's mom.) She's so great in whatever she's in, one of the best actors currently living today, and here is no different. She elevates the material. There was one episode this season that left me sobbing for a bit, and it's mostly due to her.

Anyway, I have watched Game of Thrones more consistently, and I favor fantasy as a genre above political intrigue (it's just my personal inclination), but I consider House of Cards to be a better show dramatically. There are some basic reasons for this. One is the casting -- Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright ARE their characters, and I believe them when they are on the screen. They both can actually exude the kind of charisma the Underwoods wear as their public face, charming each in their own way (and Claire with a kind of queenly grace, while Francis is more down to earth), but each is also fiercely intimidating and even terrifying when they pull out the stops. And it's scary to witness... like, even as a viewer, I'm just like, "holy shit." (Francis gets a few good sequences in Season 4, the best maybe with Durant in terms of lowering the boom. But Claire as well, she can leave human connection behind when need be and simply be frank, forthright, and ruthless.)

I am not a fan of Joel Kinnaman, although he improved as the season continued -- I didn't much like him in Suicide Squad and any other movie I've seen in him, and he can be pretty damn flat as an actor. I don't find him particularly charismatic, which doesn't gel with him supposedly coming off well on social media. (it feels like a miscast.) However, I found him decent in the 'backroom' scenes and especially the one where he and Francis get together alone. Great scene.

Doug is getting himself in trouble again. I find Doug interesting in that what is happening inside of him seems to be ambiguous both to the audience AND to him. I wonder if he understands why he does the things he does. And of course this ties into his alcoholism. In any case, he seems to be particularly getting himself involved in something that will be doomed to fail in the end because (1) Doug has only one true love and that is Francis Underwood and (2) Doug's a ruthless asshole once he shows his true colors, he's not the nice guy he portrays himself as. He's obsessive and single-minded. Unless the show might be setting up a scenario in which Doug might decide he needs to change his life / finds something better?

Anyway, I thought the season was pretty great from Episode 3-10. The last few episodes got a little muddled, and I'm not sure how I feel about the domestic terrorism thing. Even the last moments of the season... pretty intense and am not sure how i feel.

But to get back to my previous point.... The last reason I really like this show much of the time is, because unlike GoT now, it gives the characters and the scenes space to breathe. Nothing feels rushed. Logistically things make sense. What other show has scenes where the characters say little and sometimes nothing, and simply exist in the same scene, yet that scene says more than any dialogue could say? I love love love that the scenes do not feel hurried and that characters are just being themselves with each other. I could watch most of these episodes again and enjoy them all over again.

----

Side note: Neve Campbell looks/sounds an awful lot like Kate Mara in some of these scenes. Just a curiosity. Another side note, I think Rooney Mara is a better actress overall than Kate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, finished Season 5 last night.

General assessment - Season 4 was better than Season 5, which spends much of its run-time covering the election between the Underwoods and the Conways which is a bit of a mistake because (1) Will Conway is kind of one note and (2) the series feels like it gets stuck for awhile in the election, which is dragged out through some crazy scenarios and then of course shifts because one side gets the right information about the other which ruins its chances. I'm not saying it's all bad, but typically the acting is great but the overall big picture is the problem. I think the high point is somewhere around episodes 7-10. I also just didn't like all the terrorist stuff, which came across as too on-the-nose for some reason.

Claire's relationship with Tom, which was really interesting in Season 4, kind of goes on autopilot and becomes one-note. The writers decided to resolve this by end of season, which I guess is the best thing to do if you don't know what do with it.

Hammerschmidt is an annoying character, he's kind of self-righteous and obsessive... ironically become a bit like Lucas, who he would ridicule for being such. Despite claiming to be rational, he often is very opinionated and will dismiss some stories out of hand and not others.

I liked the addition of Judy Davis (Patricia Clarkson, always a win) and Mark Usher (campbell Scott, who I think is doing better work or at least more prominent work in the end half of his career than the beginning). They're both pretty crafty though, and you can't really trust either -- partly because it's not really clear what they want, exactly (they keep a great game face) so it's hard to predict what they plan to do. I was definitely disappointed to see so little Jackie Sharp and Remy Danton as the series has continued; oh well, actors come and go.

The season ends in an unexpected way and feels like kind of a cheat. Not enough to say the season sucked in terms of the power of some of the scenes, but in terms of the big-picture arc of the series? It seems like they weren't sure whether they'd get another season and tried to both position themselves + try to provide some form of closure. Unfortunately, I found it unsatisfying. I'll discuss it in the following explicit spoiler:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Season 6 (all eight episodes of it) finally dropped, after Spacey getting fired in the initial weeks of shooting due to the abuse scandals.f

I've watched the first two so far -- and it's not bad, even if not on top of the heap. It's hard to rewrite a show, especially one built around the fundamental fall of a character who rose to the top but where the actor then got fired. How does the storyline absorb that loss? Frances might be dead, but his ghost still seems to linger over the story, include mysteries about his end.

If there's a reason to watch, it's mainly to see Robin Wright and a few of the other acting cast who just do decent work regardless of storyline. In episode 2, there's some great lines about Claire and it's all true. One character says, "With Francis, you always knew where you stood [for good or bad]. With Claire, you never do." It's very true. Francis could wield power directly and always was happy to let people know where they fell on the pecking order. Claire is more the asp that might curl up next to you as well as simply bite you to death... and was the curling up just a ploy to start with? She's impossible to read. But then again, in some ways, she's had to be since she had to manage Francis + her own political image.

(The other comment was how a character had trouble deciding whether she was human or an alien pretending to be human... or something to that effect. Again, there's some truth to it. Claire wears a costume 24/7. Who knows what's really inside or whether her sympathies rest with humanity? There's just something very cold and calculating about her even when she exudes polite warmth.)

Robin Wright in any case is still fascinating to watch, trying to figure out what's going on in her head and where her ultimate goals and loyalties lie, but the space behind her eyes is frustratingly murky.

There are both new threats as well as old ones. Doug Stamper, bless his soul, is STILL around and in a position to wreak damage against Claire in defense of his old master Francis. Diane Lane, Campbell Scott, Greg Kinnear (who is just kind of creepy/slimy) are all in the cast.

It might or might not pan out, and it's disappointing that the original series concept cannot be pursued fully due to Spacey's problems, but it's a short season and at least would put the cap on things.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I am now done with this.

I think they needed to take more time to work out where the season was going, because it seems like they had absolutely no freaking idea. It was all sound and crazy, signifying nothing. I guess a lot of crew got paid for work, so that's a plus; but it's honestly the biggest benefit of the season.

I have no issues with the performances, they were all quite decent. Directing was fine. It was the writing. The writers had no clue what they wanted to say or where this show was going. There is no coherence / coordination with the show's original concept either. And by the final episodes, some of the characters were behaving in ways that made no real sense, without real dramatic justification.

So when the final curtain falls, not only does it feel shockingly abrupt but there is no emotional resonance. Frankly, I just didn't care. I enjoyed watch the performances but there was no real emotional or dramatic arc to care about. Very disappointing. It's one of those seasons that you just mentally "retcon" out of the anthology, kind of like Terminator 3 or Alien 4. "Nope. Never happened. Fan fic."

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I am now done with this.

I think they needed to take more time to work out where the season was going, because it seems like they had absolutely no freaking idea. It was all sound and crazy, signifying nothing. I guess a lot of crew got paid for work, so that's a plus; but it's honestly the biggest benefit of the season.

I have no issues with the performances, they were all quite decent. Directing was fine. It was the writing. The writers had no clue what they wanted to say or where this show was going. There is no coherence / coordination with the show's original concept either. And by the final episodes, some of the characters were behaving in ways that made no real sense, without real dramatic justification.

So when the final curtain falls, not only does it feel shockingly abrupt but there is no emotional resonance. Frankly, I just didn't care. I enjoyed watch the performances but there was no real emotional or dramatic arc to care about. Very disappointing. It's one of those seasons that you just mentally "retcon" out of the anthology, kind of like Terminator 3 or Alien 4. "Nope. Never happened. Fan fic."

I'll be finishing this tonight; I just started episode 7.

I will say, I thought season 6 started out decently, and seemed promising. But episode 6 just began to spin into all sorts of crazy directions, noticeably in my mind (particularly the ball drop at the very end of the episode). Whereas to me, before episode 6, things were still decent, even if it seemed all stops were being pulled. I had justified it in my head since they likely had to do a full 180 with the abrupt departure of Spacey, which hadn't been planned for in the overall storyline.

The acting really is a pleasure to watch, though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, I thought the Season 6 premiere had potential....

I wish they had just really figured out what they wanted to say with the season, focused on the remaining characters rather than spinning wheels on ghosts of the past. There were some flashback moments for Claire, for example... but I never really understood what they were trying to say by them. Or her relationship with Annie... What did Claire want to accomplish? What did she want? Why was she persisting? Why did things take the turns they did especially in the latter half of the season? What was being said?

It was like a whole bunch of plot points, without much story, I guess....

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, I thought the Season 6 premiere had potential....

I wish they had just really figured out what they wanted to say with the season, focused on the remaining characters rather than spinning wheels on ghosts of the past. There were some flashback moments for Claire, for example... but I never really understood what they were trying to say by them. Or her relationship with Annie... What did Claire want to accomplish? What did she want? Why was she persisting? Why did things take the turns they did especially in the latter half of the season? What was being said?

It was like a whole bunch of plot points, without much story, I guess....

Yeah... the flashbacks were kind of a moot point imo -- I mean, had they started the whole show out with flashbacks now and then, that's one thing, but to suddenly incorporate them into a final season that ended up being incredibly crammed and rushed/incomplete seemed odd. Another thing that seemed odd to me in some of the final episodes especially were more drawn-out 2-4 minute conversations regarding a total side story / relatively unimportant part of the overall story, but then to have a whirlwind 1 or 2 minutes where suddenly a nuke might be dropped and you're like.... what? Why is this suddenly happening?

There were just too many things that seemed unnecessary to incorporate in; it seemed like they were trying to put 3 seasons of material into a handful of episodes and you were left not really comprehending any of it.

I DO think how the show ended, with Doug, was pretty fitting; however due to the rushed nature of the entire season it ended up being kind of confusing/incomplete/kind of unbelievable at the same time. Also, with both Doug and Claire, I found the storyline of the final several episodes kind of silly, as I don't think either them would have behaved the way they did, had the show been 'properly' written out and had it had one more season (OR a much less crammed final 6th season). Claire especially seemed far too 'dramatic' in some of her behaviors.

My only other thought was that, while from the perspective of her having to take over the mess that she inherited from Frances, it was understandable there were too many people who knew too much and thus needed to be killed off, at the same time it just became a comical farce that everyone got killed off. So I didn't really like that. It just seemed really unrealistic.