• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

House of Cards

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm four eps in. Holding on talking about it until I'm done watching the season, except for two things:

1) The Russian president is SO much more interesting than either Tusk or the Chinese businessman from season 2. Amazing acting helps, plus all his great zingers. (The "artist" one is my favorite so far.)

2) When watching episode 1 with roommates, I couldn't help but burst into song:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm avoiding saying much, since it's the first day after it released.

I just finished episode 5.

I'm four eps in. Holding on talking about it until I'm done watching the season, except for two things:

1) The Russian president is SO much more interesting than either Tusk or the Chinese businessman from season 2. Amazing acting helps, plus all his great zingers. (The "artist" one is my favorite so far.)

I should have been writing down some of his lines. He was just that good.

2) When watching episode 1 with roommates, I couldn't help but burst into song:

Also, I must express my joy over seeing more of Elizabeth Marvel (Dunbar). I like her immensely and she's popped up in other movies I like. She's in the same kind of category as Molly Parker (Jackie) -- actors who can easily play women who are feminine while still easily being tough as nails and undaunted by any challenge. They don't even blink at confrontation.

There's a great scene with Claire and Alexi in E5. I won't say any more. You'll recognize it when it happens.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have about 30 minutes to go. (Yes, I'm partway through the last episode but then had to leave for work.)

It's an interesting season, due to the change of (1) Frank having to move from the offensive to the defensive much of the time and (2) the shift from plot-based drama into more character development. This season has more soul-searching in it, I think, than prior seasons.

It's not really a spoiler to say that Frank is really his own worst enemy. Typically when solving one problem, he creates another (if not more); and his need to constantly be in control can erode the loyalty of even his most faithful.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] Just finished episode 7.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

One thing I'd like to discuss as more people finish the season is the evolution of Heather Dunbar over the course of Season 3. I cannot comment further on that as it involves various spoilers, but it's interesting to see what changes occur as the story unfolds.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

OH I FORGOT TO MENTION

Edit:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

OH I FORGOT TO MENTION

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I KNOW. I saw it and misinterpreted it and actually yelled at the screen. "NO! DAMMIT! NO! WHY?!"

:dry: I was not actually a fan of that. It was funny, but it was also the least subtle metaphor ever, lol.

On the other hand, I WAS a fan of...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:dry: I was not actually a fan of that. It was funny, but it was also the least subtle metaphor ever, lol.

Honestly, I was kind of shocked and appalled, which was delightful, but also... still appalled. Also, flashbacks to "The Omen" or something. Jeeez.

On the other hand, I WAS a fan of...

I liked that, and it seemed a little more realistic than the other thing, actually. I could see someone in that situation doing that. It was just mixing it in that scene where we first see it... that was a really interesting scene.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Done.

The last episode is pretty dark, from a psychological standpoint. I saw some of it coming from a mile away. There were one or two other things that I wasn't sure about until they happened. Season 2 ended with some delicious enthusiasm, with Frank the anti-hero getting what he wanted, this season seems to end on a much heavier note.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Finished the season, finally!

Spoiler-less thoughts:
- God damn, if Frank isn't a perfect example of an unhealthy ENFJ. Especially under stress. Still can't decide what kind of INxJ Claire is.
- Theme of Season 3: Claire is a badass.
- I loved Jackie Sharp in season 2 and didn't like her much at all in season 3. Not that she's any worse of a person in season 3. But I identified with her very strongly in season 2.
- I felt let down by Dunbar's character arc. Didn't feel enough catharsis at the end.
- NOT ENOUGH MEECHUM!
- Worst part of the season by FAR was America Works, and the press reaction to it. That legislation is a piece of crap and would have been ripped apart even worse IRL than it was on the show. Worked great as a piece of symbolism though.

Spoiler-y thoughts:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty scathing review... I found it interesting even if it seemed a little overblown. (For example, I see a difference between an ongoing South Park and a drama that will be limited to just a few seasons.)

That’s It, House of Cards. You Lost Me. - The Daily Beast

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]:

non-spoiler comment:

I really was blown away by that episode interspersed with the buddhist monks creating that large artwork of sand. All that time and effort and precision (working together) over a period of a month, and then the whole point is to mix it all back together and cast it on the waters of the stream. talk about temporality... but that's all we are... these careful meticulous constructions we invest so much in and then time eventually reduces it all to dust, mixes it together, and sweeps it away.

Nicodemus

- Theme of Season 3: Claire is a badass.

Claire is a handful of shards held together by a thin slip of silk. She is more emotionally unhealthy than even Doug.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I'm up to episode 12, I've bulldozed through this.

Ep 4 spoiler:

And I can't believe I'm saying this but Joel Kinnaman's accent is starting to annoy me, it slips every now and then and I keep picking up on it. :shrug:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't wait to start watching the new season, maybe it'll be tonight!

Kas

Fabula rasa
I watched only first season and as it was fun to see everything from Frank point of view and a show was promising, I had an impression that he usually got to easily what he wanted. Where is one badass there is a second and a third badass. It looked too simple, too theatrical.

I think about coming back to season 2. Does it get better with time, more complex?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I watched only first season and as it was fun to see everything from Frank point of view and a show was promising, I had an impression that he usually got to easily what he wanted. Where is one badass there is a second and a third badass. It looked too simple, too theatrical.

I think about coming back to season 2. Does it get better with time, more complex?

Season 2 is very good. Season 3 felt a bit down. I am saving season 4 for when I have time to shotgun it.....

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Season 1 is the only season where Frank appears better and smarter than everyone around him. The mind-games are a lot more exciting and the winners are less obvious in future seasons.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Season one is the climb. Season two is the peak. Season three is the reversal. Season four...

Kas

Fabula rasa
Season 2 is very good. Season 3 felt a bit down. I am saving season 4 for when I have time to shotgun it.....
Season 1 is the only season where Frank appears better and smarter than everyone around him. The mind-games are a lot more exciting and the winners are less obvious in future seasons.
Season one is the climb. Season two is the peak. Season three is the reversal. Season four...
Thank you ! I guess, I want to see the peak then ;)