First 1234 Last

Thread: House of Cards

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm halfway through Episode #1 but it's getting interesting. (Spacey's accent sounds a little forced, though. It jars me out of the moment when he misses an inflection.)

And because it's NetFlix, they're releasing a whole season at a time. This should keep me busy for the next week.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    No, it's not. He breaks the fourth wall every 20 minutes, tongue in cheek, like Ferris Bueller (the original BBC series followed the same formula as well). It's a mix of drama and dark comedy.

Reality is much more sleazy. Watch some Tom Delay and Jack Abramoff documentaries.
    Doesn't that go without saying? I generally stay away from material that gives me any standing ground, the concept of permanence ingrained in my bones.

Lines can be memorized, recited, and quoted, and like I've said elsewhere, as the human being is currently constructed, there's a ceiling to how many stimuli responses we're capable of. Take five dozen adults trained to reproduce material since their eighth grade drama program on eeking life from lemons and I've just wasted two precious hours. Where's the discovery, the risk?

I am the center of the universe, after all; you don't exist. Begone. With its mingling of fiction and reality without direction, however, Tanner '88 looks interesting enough to buy. How many bowel movements have you incurred today, KDude?

thinking of you

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    Doesn't that go without saying? I generally stay away from material that gives me any standing ground, the concept of permanence ingrained in my bones.

Lines can be memorized, recited, and quoted, and like I've said elsewhere, as the human being is currently constructed, there's a ceiling to how many stimuli responses we're capable of. Take five dozen adults trained to reproduce material since their eighth grade drama program on eeking life from lemons and I've just wasted two precious hours. Where's the discovery, the risk?

I am the center of the universe, after all; you don't exist. Begone. With its mingling of fiction and reality without direction, however, Tanner '88 looks interesting enough to buy. How many bowel movements have you incurred today, KDude?
    Honestly, I don't understand a single sentence here. No offense.. I just don't.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Gaaa. Move typing discussions to the type forum.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Gaaa. Move typing discussions to the type forum.
    Agreed.
    The best thing about human beings is that they stack so neatly.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The type discussion has been moved to:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=67635
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Watched four episodes of the new season so far.

If you plan to watch this series, it's probably better to watch the second season sooner rather than later, especially with all the spoilers. It's best to not get spoiled, so that the plotline will blow you away... and it doesn't waste any time with that.

I feel like the season is even more hardcore than last one, only four episodes in.

Also, Francis and Claire are made for each other. Francis is perhaps more overtly Machiavellian, but Claire's balls are as big as his -- they're definitely quite the pair. We got to see this somewhat in Season #1 (even when Claire briefly turns on her hubby), but this one, well, they both just play hardball and they play it well.

Episode #4, it's actually nice to see someone in Congress who isn't as easily manipulated by Frank as many seem to be. I also have major (and probably obvious) suspicions who orchestrated one of the plot elements there, I had them as soon as it occurred. But also, the entire deal with Claire's interview ... oh wow. I didn't see it going there, but as soon as it did, I knew where it was going to go after that. I hope the writing continues to build like that throughout the rest of the season.

If I had one large gripe, it's that the actual President (Walker) is just... blah. How many presidents have we seen who just have no real sense of how politics works? The guy just seems to be as dumb as a rock and thus not a worthy adversary / counterpart to Frank. he's merely a plot point -- an obstacle to subsume and overcome as Frank works to achieve his ultimate goal of holding the presidency himself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Finished Season #2. Found it even more interesting than Season #1, as well as inundated by its own share of spoilers and shocker moments. Characters come, characters go (some forever).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Season two was boss.

Might have to re-watch it though to get some of the smaller points made.

The last scene of season 2 gave me chills (doesn't happen very frequently).

What did you think of that @Jennifer?

EDIT - can't believe some of the shit that went down this season.

Still my favorite show on TV without question.

Ready to discuss plot stuff once enough time has elapsed for the spoilers folks.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Season two was boss.

Might have to re-watch it though to get some of the smaller points made.

The last scene of season 2 gave me chills (doesn't happen very frequently).

What did you think of that Jennifer?

EDIT - can't believe some of the shit that went down this season.

Still my favorite show on TV without question.

Ready to discuss plot stuff once enough time has elapsed for the spoilers folks.
    I started watching on VDay, I think, and just finished last night... i.e., not a crazy pace, but a decent one. I'm usually more into "fantasy" stuff with my TV viewing, but this show was an exception. I also think it's some of the best work I've ever seen by Spacey and Wright, even counting movies.

I think Breaking Bad was better, marginally, but regardless HoC is in my Top Ten Shows ever. I thought the season was even better than the first one, and a bit darker. The Underwoods had less room to screw up here, the stakes were far higher and they were under far more scrutiny as the Veeps.

I love that very last scene that they took their time with, and it was almost all silent -- with Claire and Frank quietly walking and talking, then Frank going on alone. The last second was jarring but perfect (his trademark move), now that Claire had replaced something he had lost earlier in the season.

Some people say the asides are gimmicky but I don't think so, I think they're relevant -- they're the only brief moments throughout the season when we know Frank is telling us the truth. Otherwise we don't really know what he's up to or how he's reacting, because he is such a consumate liar.

I'll be posting a spoiler post tonight on FaceBook (marked as such) of the Top Ten Shockers of Season 2 for me.

Oh, yeah, and I want to talk about how it was mostly shot in Baltimore, and I know where some of the places are. (Joppa for example is up I95 a bit toward Philly, and I've gone hiking off Old Joppa Road before.)

I know where Freddie's BBQ is (it's slightly to the east of I83S running into Inner Harbor), and it looks the same. That whole street that Freddie walks down with the row houses is the street that tees into it. Just kinda cool to know where to find this stuff.

in DC, I don't think that Cathedral Heights metro is a real stop, though; there's a Capitol Heights stop and a Columbia Heights stop, but I think the sign distinctly said Cathedral Heights (I'll have to look again). There is a Cathedral Heights neighborhood in Wash DC though.