User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Joss Whedon

Default Joss Whedon

Can someone explain to me the appeal of his work?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

To me, he's really good with timing. He knows when and how to portray events. He's very good with build-up and these build-ups tend to have a very satisfying pay-off. I can't think of a better analogy right now, but his style makes you feel kind of like a kid following a candy trail that leads to a van, you pick up small goodies along the way, but then there's a van that you think is full of all the candy your heart desires...and it actually is full of candy your heart desires and not some letdown trap.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    To me, he's really good with timing. He knows when and how to portray events. He's very good with build-up and these build-ups tend to have a very satisfying pay-off. I can't think of a better analogy right now, but his style makes you feel kind of like a kid following a candy trail that leads to a van, you pick up small goodies along the way, but then there's a van that you think is full of all the candy your heart desires...and it actually is full of candy your heart desires and not some letdown trap.
    Well, except for when he blows it up.

He did kinda douchebag Kitty Pride in Astonishing X-Men at the end of the Unstoppable arc. Then again, if you were a careful reader, you would have seen the ending telegraphed a few issues earlier.

His movies are definitely aimed more at the median. I enjoyed Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog, as it was the right touch of camp and seriousness, poking fun with cultural references... and the music was actually really decent/witty, on par with anything from Wicked or The Book of Mormon... the singers actually competent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I love the dynamics that he builds between characters, and how capable he is building an ensemble. Mostly I'm a fan of his TV work.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

The primary appeal is his ability to give his characters surprising depth, and the depth of his characters is leveraged to create some remarkably intricate plots that just seem to flow from the base characterization. In the meantime, he can entertain viewers/readers by making his characters interact with each other in very human ways.

There are very few writers who do this well. David Eddings was one such, in my opinion. Other than that, especially in fantasy or sci-fi, the characterization is often a weak point, often reflecting the cognitive biases of the author. It takes great insight into human nature (I would type Whedon as INFJ) to be able to build characters that hide the authors cognitive biases very well.

I find that I usually need to watch an entire season of one of his shows before really understand his characters and appreciate what he's doing with them. Out of context, his episodes will often lack the special charm that most people see in his work, because he doesn't reveal that much of any character at any one time, but rather lets you get to know them by seeing them in many different contexts/stories/episodes. This is, by the way, how he hides his cognitive biases from his audience: he portrays the behaviors very accurately, but only lightly brushes in the attributed motivations. Thus, seeing/reading his work out of context, you see people doing stuff that either makes obvious sense (because the reasons are immediate to what is happening) or make no sense at all or only superficial sense (because the reason was indicated in three other episodes you've not seen). His really great Buffy episodes, such as Hush or the musical episode, for example, simply aren't as enjoyable if you haven't spent time on other episodes and thus understand the Buffy characters.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Is 'Buffy' worth giving a try if I think that 'Serenity' is a pretty weak film?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Is 'Buffy' worth giving a try if I think that 'Serenity' is a pretty weak film?
    Yes. I didn't care for Serenity. If you don't mind the affects, I'd recommend Firefly. EDIT: It's stronger out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yes. I didn't care for Serenity. If you don't mind the affects, I'd recommend Firefly. EDIT: It's stronger out of the gate.
    'Firefly' is out of the question: I can't stand Nathan Fillion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The Avengers was one of the best movies of 2012, I'd give that one a shot.

Already saw that one. 6/10 points.