• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, based on this post, as promised, I said I'd create a separate, more detailed thread about the new movie starring Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Peter Stormare, and Famke Janssen. And for a January release with no advance press screening for the critics and a post-release 18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, this movie is a goddamn bloody masterpiece...yes, it has blood, and some of the best-looking CG blood I've seen in recent years, I might add, not to mention some excellent 3D, and colorful performances by all the major actors, particularly Stormare (who is always fun to watch) and Janssen as the main antagonist. The music was scored by yet another composer lifted by Hans Zimmer named Atli Örvarsson, and once again, this Hans Zimmer offspring joins the ranks of Steve Jablonsky, Harry Gregson-Williams, and Klaus Badelt in actually being better than the overrated hack that trained them. Oh yes, and "Bundy" by Animal Alpha is played during the end credits.

One thing that puzzles me, however, is why is Jeremy Renner all of a sudden becoming an action star? He's been in the movie industry in more low-key roles...I think the guy's got potential, don't get me wrong, but why so late?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing that puzzles me, however, is why is Jeremy Renner all of a sudden becoming an action star? He's been in the movie industry in more low-key roles...I think the guy's got potential, don't get me wrong, but why so late?

How many movies did it take for Matt Damon to really become known as an action star?

Maybe Renner just didn't really think of himself as such, then realized he could do it. Bourne Legacy didn't a ton of acclaim either, but I thought Renner was believable and solid.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Oh Famke, you are so hot and yet you do such stupid films.

KDude

She's probably the best supermodel turned actress. She's getting old though (not a problem with me), and starting to direct more.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
She's probably the best supermodel turned actress. She's getting old though (not a problem with me), and starting to direct more.

She's almost 50, and looks amazing for her age. She either bathes in virgins' blood or her plastic surgeon is an artist.

KDude

She's almost 50, and looks amazing for her age. She either bathes in virgins' blood or her plastic surgeon is an artist.

Oh, I think so too. It's only that I caught something awhile back about her wanting to transition to writing and directing, and getting tired of the vainer side of Hollywood (she mentioned plastic surgery too and being tempted to it).

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an ambiguous feeling about this movie. I think it will probably be a good action movie, but I don't like the change in the original story for mass consumption.

dieValkyrie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't seen it, but from what I've seen I just don't think I'd enjoy it.

It looks too shallow and focused on being "cool" and "action-packed" for my tastes. More "Transformers" than "District 9".

I really love the idea of adapting fairy tales into action movies, but the ones I'm seeing are just so uninspired and lacking in the original magic and strangeness of the actual fables. Snow White and the Huntsman had some nice imagery and aesthetics, I also really loved the idea of a Joan of Arc styled Snow White and I think Kristen Stewart in armor definitely looked the part, but she unfortunately lacked the passion or substance to make it profound for me, which extends to the movie itself: it looks great but it's completely unsatisfying and forgettable.

Hansel and Gretel growing up and becoming witchhunters is an awesome idea and opens up so much potential for great conflict, such as in their hunting they come across a witch who actually isn't evil at all or even better: is morally ambiguous, making the siblings question themselves and their hatred for these women who use magic. Perhaps one of them empathizes with a witch while the other is still resolute in their contempt for her because she's still just a monstrous witch in their eyes.

But instead as I understand it the witches in this film are just evil monsters that the morally justified heroes get to shoot up.

Just seems boring to me.

Also I don't like seeing Jeremy Renner as a superhero or action hero :/