• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Americans

E

Epiphany

Is anyone else anticipating this Cold War drama? Looks to be a smashing hit, I say... SMASHING!!!

fx_americans_keyart_p_2012.jpg

Last edited:

dieValkyrie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tried watching the first episode the night it premiered and my reaction was "Keri Russell looks great for her age" and then ":C" at the rest of it.

I lost interest quickly.

And hey, I thought the second season of Homeland was great! >:O

E

Epiphany

I actually haven't seen it yet. I watched the Chicago Blackhawks game, had a beer and fell asleep. I'll watch it online sometime this week.

sorenx7

I've tried watching Homeland a few times and just can't get interested in it. However, I like Dexter quite a lot (for some reason.) Dexter isn't the type show I would normally like. So far, I like "The Americans" quite a lot. It remains to be seen how it will be after a few episodes, but I thought it started off well. It does seem to capture the mood of the Cold War fairly well, a period of history I'm interested in. Keri Russell is in great shape for the show and has trained extensively for it. She is perfect for the role, IMO. So, I do understand the comparison of "The Americans" to "Homeland." I have had a chance to see Homeland from time to time only because it comes on right before Dexter. But I wouldn't compare Homeland to The Americans too much myself. The vibe of each seems totally different to me.

E

Epiphany

I just watched the pilot episode. Very interesting so far. Hopefully, it will keep up the momentum. I especially liked the love scene because of the tension leading up to it. I'm not a big fan of 80's music, in general, but I'm adding In The Air Tonight to my list of exceptions.

sorenx7

Just saw the second episode. I'm liking the way they do this show. It's expertly crafted.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just watched the pilot episode. Very interesting so far. Hopefully, it will keep up the momentum. I especially liked the love scene because of the tension leading up to it. I'm not a big fan of 80's music, in general, but I'm adding In The Air Tonight to my list of exceptions.
And Tusk! Major points for that too (even though it's technically 70s)! :happy2:

I just saw the pilot tonight. I liked what I saw but still feel it could go either way. As long as they can keep up that sort of writing, I will stick with it.

E

Epiphany

Just saw the second episode. I'm liking the way they do this show. It's expertly crafted.

Episode 3 looks interesting. I now find myself attracted to Keri Russell. I did not foresee this happening.

And Tusk! Major points for that too (even though it's technically 70s)! :happy2:

I just saw the pilot tonight. I liked what I saw but still feel it could go either way. As long as they can keep up that sort of writing, I will stick with it.

I didn't like episode 2 as much as the first one, but I think the show has a lot of potential. Only time will tell.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The Cold War is what got me into international relations and politics in the first place.

Been watching.

So far, it's exceeded my expectations.

E

Epiphany

This episode was a lot better than last week, in my opinion. And Elizabeth is smoking hot with red hair. Espionage is a dirty job. Phillip redeemed himself a bit by attempting to protect Robert's wife. It shows that his humanity still exists underneath that cold, objective facade. The suspense involving their double-lives remains intriguing.

The Cold War is what got me into international relations and politics in the first place.

Been watching.

So far, it's exceeded my expectations.

I appreciate how the writers make the viewers care about both sides instead of villainizing one and glorifying the other, as is common in war.

sorenx7

The plot development is coming along very well. This is the kind of TV series that has to be judged in its totality. I am beginning to love this show. Previous episodes which kind of rubbed me the wrong way, are now beginning to appear very relevant. The writers are doing a heck of a job, IMO. The acting is superb and they're making the Cold War atmosphere seem as realistic as possible. It's just satisfying to see TV the way it should be. Of course, all of this is subjective; I do have to admit I have quite a fascination with the Cold War period. For someone who doesn't, I'm not sure exactly how this show would seem.

E

Epiphany

I've enjoyed this series, as well. I need to catch up on this week's episode. Admittedly, I don't know much about the Cold War, but the espionage drama is intriguing. It'll be interesting to see where this show goes.