User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Pokemon X and Y

Infinite Bubble

Default Pokemon X and Y

Big announcement from Game Freak about the new games. I did not think Gen VI would be out so soon. Was hoping for Gen III remakes but this is just as exciting.

I'm guessing the names are from the coordinates of a 3D axis (as its the first fully 3D main series game).

Legendaries:

Yveltal (left) and Xerneas (right).

Starters:

your resident asshole

Another 3DS user on the forums? Awesome.

I heard the announcement a little while ago and I'm super excited. Right now Chespin is my desired starter.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I don't have a 3DS and don't think I'll get one for this. The 3D environment ruins a bit of the nostalgic charm of playing Pokemon for me.

The X legendary reminds me of the forest spirit from Princess Mononoke.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The last good gen game-wise was III, and the last good one TV-wise was II.

You want to see what Pokemon is really about!?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I did not think Gen VI would be out so soon. Was hoping for Gen III remakes but this is just as exciting.
    I know!! My only hope is that they have the Gen III remakes (if they're ever made?) on the 3DS.

Definitely gonna go for Froakie. I always pick the water starters.

Infinite Bubble

@DisneyGeek

Well I actually haven't got one yet but I'm getting one soon. I held back because the only games I like for it right now are Zelda and Mario.

@Owlesque

They've got to make progress though haven't they? Fully 3D environments are a bit overdue IMO. Still, its a revolution as far as Pokemon is concerned.

@RaptorWizard

I actually enjoyed B/W 2 quite a bit, but before that I agree the last good gen was III. For the anime it was III again for me, it all just went down hill at IV.

Team Rocket was my favourite from Pikachu's Jukebox.

@Ism

To be honest I'm doubting it now. If they were doing it they would have probably revealed it instead of X & Y. Disappointing as III is my favourite gen.

As for the starters it will probably be Fennekin for me, but I'll need to see all the evolutions first.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

They've got to make progress though haven't they? Fully 3D environments are a bit overdue IMO. Still, its a revolution as far as Pokemon is concerned.
    Of course, and I don't fault the developers for that.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Am I the only one that thinks the N64 and Playstation sent console games into a dark age from which many major franchises never recovered? That for some time everything worth playing came out on a PC? Primitive 3D was absolutely hideous looking, the controls were unwieldy, and very few originally 2D games converted smoothly to a 3D environment (though the problems were aided by tons of pointlessly revisions like making Mario take several hits and removing his fire flowers).

For those reasons this is the least thrilling Pokemon I've seen. The fact that it's an RPG at least mitigates a lot of would-be game play changes, but I think it looks kind of shitty. I'd prefer new technology being used to make increasingly high quality, attractive 2D images than low resolution textures on low polygon counts. And whenever people break into 3D, they just have to throw the camera around way too much have excruciatingly long cinematics.

It's kind of funny that Pokemon is moving into that world in the same era that consoles having been doing things like Super Mario Bros Wii and U.

EDIT: I've never seen a Grass type starter pokemon I liked less. And with Vulpix, do we need another fire fox?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the N64 and Playstation sent console games into a dark age from which many major franchises never recovered? That for some time everything worth playing came out on a PC? Primitive 3D was absolutely hideous looking, the controls were unwieldy, and very few originally 2D games converted smoothly to a 3D environment (though the problems were aided by tons of pointlessly revisions like making Mario take several hits and removing his fire flowers).

For those reasons this is the least thrilling Pokemon I've seen. The fact that it's an RPG at least mitigates a lot of would-be game play changes, but I think it looks kind of shitty. I'd prefer new technology being used to make increasingly high quality, attractive 2D images than low resolution textures on low polygon counts. And whenever people break into 3D, they just have to throw the camera around way too much have excruciatingly long cinematics.

It's kind of funny that Pokemon is moving into that world in the same era that consoles having been doing things like Super Mario Bros Wii and U.

EDIT: I've never seen a Grass type starter pokemon I liked less. And with Vulpix, do we need another fire fox?
    I don't think it looks that bad. Definitely not of the primitive 3D you are talking about. Pokemon has always been behind in regards to graphics, making use of technology etc, so its nice that they're taking bigger steps forward than before. God I hope they don't mess up the camera angles though. I've played too many such games, where you'd move slightly to the left, and the angle would just swing around so you can't even see where your going.

Agreed on the grass starter. I find Fennekin to be of a better design than Vulpix, but whether it will bring anything to the game such as new typing/ability we can't know yet. Hopefully it won't become the third fire/fighting starter, but thankfully it doesn't look like it will.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I don't think it looks that bad. Definitely not of the primitive 3D you are talking about. Pokemon has always been behind in regards to graphics, making use of technology etc, so its nice that they're taking bigger steps forward than before. God I hope they don't mess up the camera angles though. I've played too many such games, where you'd move slightly to the left, and the angle would just swing around so you can't even see where your going.

Agreed on the grass starter. I find Fennekin to be of a better design than Vulpix, but whether it will bring anything to the game such as new typing/ability we can't know yet. Hopefully it won't become the third fire/fighting starter, but thankfully it doesn't look like it will.
    Yeah, though the 3D graphics aren't all-out, I don't believe the game will lose any of its appeal. If I even really cared about the quality of the graphics (which is just fine), I wouldn't have played the Pokemon games in the first place. But I did because the mechanics are fun to explore and I like the concept. As long as that much is retained, which I believe it will be, then it's still the same Pokemon I enjoy.

That being said, I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, though I follow the franchise. I think I'll try and hold out for the inevitable Pokemon Z and get the 3DS after that. Less $$$ spent aw yeah.

I really hope the girl trainer doesn't look too princess-y. Or have ridiculous hair style. Gen V's female trainer was my favorite because she actually looked like a trainer, and was a definite step up from Gen IV and HS/SS's female protagonists. Hopefully they keep it up, but (what I assume is) the heroine in the trailer makes it look like they took a step back.