Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well I discovered that I only have four days annual leave left between now and when I get my allocations of annual leave, boo, although it means that come april or may I'll have thirty three days to take again, yay, so I'm considering travelling and not just to Edinburgh as I have done previously.

I'm thinking about the big old US of A, so what is there to see and what would you recommend as unmissable? It can be something local to you, I'm happy to hear about the mundane or personal as much as the natural wonders or tourist traps, also if you'd recommend any travel guides or websites I'd be happy to check them out, at present I've got an eye witness USA travel guide, its got a lot of pictures and seems to be as good as the lonely planet guide which looked like it was just listings and listings of accomodation.

I've also got a huge ass Lonely Planet book called Great Adventures which I'm sure does feature the US but I've not had the chance to read it.

Alternatively if you're not from the US, for instance if you're Canadian, I'm open to persuasion as to why I should visit your country instead, maybe not this year but go ahead and tell me why it should be something I do in 2014.
    Trying to travel North America E-W by country is going to net you mostly farmland for your time investment.

It'd be smarter to do a West coast trip one year (Canada, USA, Mexico) and then an East coast trip (Canada, USA, islands) the other year. Most of the Canadian stuff worth seeing is close to the US border, and you can day trip into Mexico from San Diego.

West Coast:
    Fly to Seattle; rent a car.

• Seattle, WA
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Banff, AB (climb or ski Rockies by day and chill in the hot springs by night; hope for northern lights)
    • Canmore, AB
    • Yellowstone, MT
    • Moab, UT
    • Grand Canyon, AZ
    • Sedona, AZ
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • San Diego, CA
    • Tijuana, Mexico
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • San Fransisco, CA
    • Lake Tahoe, CA
    • Portland, OR
    • Seattle, WA

That's only 7274 km and 74 hours of driving, which is a lot better than trying to do E-W by country for North America. Here's a route I've Google Mapped out.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Se...ra=luc&t=m&z=4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Another way to do it is to pick a great city or specific region you're interested in, and do that for 4 days. There's more than 4 days in any great city. I have a feeling you might be an East Coast type of guy, Boston or Philadelphia or... New York.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Another way to do it is to pick a great city or specific region you're interested in, and do that for 4 days. There's more than 4 days in any great city. I have a feeling you might be an East Coast type of guy, Boston or Philadelphia or... New York.
    he's got 33 days off. you're talking to a european.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Trying to travel North America E-W by country is going to net you mostly farmland for your time investment.

It'd be smarter to do a West coast trip one year (Canada, USA, Mexico) and then an East coast trip (Canada, USA, islands) the other year. Most of the Canadian stuff worth seeing is close to the US border, and you can day trip into Mexico from San Diego.

West Coast:
    Fly to Seattle; rent a car.

• Seattle, WA
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Banff, AB (climb or ski Rockies by day and chill in the hot springs by night; hope for northern lights)
    • Canmore, AB
    • Yellowstone, MT
    • Moab, UT
    • Grand Canyon, AZ
    • Sedona, AZ
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • San Diego, CA
    • Tijuana, Mexico
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • San Fransisco, CA
    • Lake Tahoe, CA
    • Portland, OR
    • Seattle, WA

That's only 7274 km and 74 hours of driving, which is a lot better than trying to do E-W by country for North America. Here's a route I've Google Mapped out.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Se...ra=luc&t=m&z=4
    Yes... Pick a coast... Or maybe half the time spent on the west coast.. La, sf, Seattle. Portland and Vancouver bc. Then fly into ny and explore it and the surrounding cities...Niagra falls etc before flying back home.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    he's got 33 days off. you're talking to a european.
    Didn't see the 33 days part. Well shit then, go everywhere!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I haven't been this excited since Mr. Smith Goes to Washington!

You know, if Lark wanted, he could host meetups all across the US for forum members.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I could hang out at niagra falls and then show you all the beautiful rusted out remains of Buffalo.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post

(In case you don't know, @Lark, you probably don't really want to visit Detroit. )

I know MSP is on the list, we can drive down to Chicago too. In US terms it's just a short drive (of 6-8 hours).
    Holy shit! That's like the entire day!

Yeah, I only thought about the possibility of people giving me a misdirection after posting this.

For my part I think that Uber would love to visit Tigers Bay or Shankill Rd