• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Doctor Who?

• Thread starter Infinite Bubble
  • Start date

Best Doctor?

• William Hartnell

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Patrick Troughton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jon Pertwee

• Tom Baker

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Peter Davison

• Colin Baker

• Sylvester McCoy

• Paul McGann

• Christopher Eccleston

• David Tennant

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Matt Smith

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My favorite is Baker, then Troughton and Eccleston tie for second place.

I liked Amy at first- she reminded me a bit of Emma Peel in the first few episodes somehow- but she got annoying fast (imo). I really like Rory though, he might be my favorite companion.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I started watching with Tom Baker, but since have watched all of the Doctors. Tom Baker has to be my favorite (oh, that devilish grin!), but I also am really drawn to Eccleston's version. I really liked Sylvester McCoy at the time. Davison and Tennant both grew on me. Pertwee is my least favorite.

I agree with Z Buck that Rory might be my favorite companion.

S

Society

[MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] In that case I think you're right. ENFP it is for Tennant.

[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] As the main writer, I haven't really enjoyed his episodes as much as Russel T. Davies'. Interestingly though I thought the episodes Moffat wrote as guest writer (in particular Blink and The Empty Child) were the best from the respective series.

see, i think i was disappointed because i expected every episode to be as good as Blink / the empty child / silence in the library / girl in the fireplace, and i agree that relatively to those episodes he as good as the main writer, but i don't think Russel episodes where better, if you look at them, Ruseel's episode's where basically "epic character pieces", and good at showing how awesome the doctor is as a human[oid] dues ex machina, but didn't have the elegant complexity of the Moffat's writing, such as the story arch of the doctor dies, the invisible aliens in suits, the birth of amy's child. When moffat did have character pieces, they weren't the doctor at all, but rather of the characters he meets - van goth's character piece was beautiful in particular, and the new season seems geared towards making the new companion into a character piece on its own right.

I

Infinite Bubble

My favorite is Baker, then Troughton and Eccleston tie for second place.

I liked Amy at first- she reminded me a bit of Emma Peel in the first few episodes somehow- but she got annoying fast (imo). I really like Rory though, he might be my favorite companion.

My favourite companion is probably Donna. She had the most interesting personality in my opinion and was one of the funniest.

I started watching with Tom Baker, but since have watched all of the Doctors. Tom Baker has to be my favorite (oh, that devilish grin!), but I also am really drawn to Eccleston's version. I really liked Sylvester McCoy at the time. Davison and Tennant both grew on me. Pertwee is my least favorite.

I agree with Z Buck that Rory might be my favorite companion.

I was hoping someone would mention McCoy! I always thought he was one of the coolest with his little question mark umbrella. The SFX used for his title sequence looks terribly dated though.

see, i think i was disappointed because i expected every episode to be as good as Blink / the empty child / silence in the library / girl in the fireplace, and i agree that relatively to those episodes he as good as the main writer, but i don't think Russel episodes where better, if you look at them, Ruseel's episode's where basically "epic character pieces", and good at showing how awesome the doctor is as a human[oid] dues ex machina, but didn't have the elegant complexity of the Moffat's writing, such as the story arch of the doctor dies, the invisible aliens in suits, the birth of amy's child. When moffat did have character pieces, they weren't the doctor at all, but rather of the characters he meets - van goth's character piece was beautiful in particular, and the new season seems geared towards making the new companion into a character piece on its own right.

I certainly had high hopes for him before the series started, but the types of episodes he writes just aren't the same as his older ones. Yes, I do think Moffat is the better of the writers, like you say, more complex and with intricately woven plots; but I think Davies is a better Doctor Who writer. That is, I think Moffat would be better off writing for something else, another drama perhaps, where it would probably be more appreciated. I think Davies was better at writing about the aliens, which it should be about, whereas Moffat has a different take which I don't enjoy as much.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I did like Donna. In an 'on TV, because I can turn the TV off' kind of way- people that reactive irl drive me bonkers- but I did like her more than most companions.

S

Society

My favourite companion is probably Donna. She had the most interesting personality in my opinion and was one of the funniest.

I was hoping someone would mention McCoy! I always thought he was one of the coolest with his little question mark umbrella. The SFX used for his title sequence looks terribly dated though.

I certainly had high hopes for him before the series started, but the types of episodes he writes just aren't the same as his older ones. Yes, I do think Moffat is the better of the writers, like you say, more complex and with intricately woven plots; but I think Davies is a better Doctor Who writer. That is, I think Moffat would be better off writing for something else, another drama perhaps, where it would probably be more appreciated. I think Davies was better at writing about the aliens, which it should be about, whereas Moffat has a different take which I don't enjoy as much.

hmm, i can't argue with you not enjoying it as much...

but in the old dorky spirit of "[imaginery thing] vs. [imaginery other thing]":

the silence vs. the bane
weeping angels vs. judoon
vashta nerada vs. slitheen
who's aliens are more awesome?

and companion wise: martha jones.

I

Infinite Bubble

hmm, i can't argue with you not enjoying it as much...

but in the old dorky spirit of "[imaginery thing] vs. [imaginery other thing]":

the silence vs. the bane
weeping angels vs. judoon
vashta nerada vs. slitheen
who's aliens are more awesome?

and companion wise: martha jones.

Yeah out of those options Moffats are better (except Slitheen - I genuinely think they're brilliant), but it's what Davies did with them. I've yet to see an episode quite like the Daleks vs Cybermen or to go back to Slitheen, Aliens of London. It keeps the excitement going. And the stakes always seem a little lower in Moffats (apart from the Big Bang, which IMO was over-blown ). I don't know. It doesn't seem like Doctor Who with Moffat.

Also, I think both Rose and Donna were better than Amy/Rory. Although Martha was utterly boring.