User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Are you music devoted?

The metal thread got me thinking. What is music to you?

Some people are just casual listeners. They idly listen to whatever is appealing or on the charts at the time.

Other people are dedicated to music. They will go to great lengths to seek out new experiences, or to attend shows, even travelling very far to do so.

I ask this because metal for example is truly something that you live. That much I understand. I'm not entirely a metalhead in practice but I understand it at heart. I just apply it to all forms of music. I'm dedicated to music itself (which is a rather difficult and time consuming endeavor, believe me)

Some people are the same way with other kinds of music, whether it's jazz, classical, or dubstep.

So. Do you live your music, or do you just hear it as it comes along?

Banned

Music is as valuable to me as oxygen is.

MBTI
    iNtj
    Enneagram
    etc

I am devoted, I am dedicated, and quite frankly, I can't imagine life without it.
    I know casual listeners. Even more than casual listeners who ask me if I ever have a moment of silence because I listen to so much music.
    (The answer is yes.)
    But as far back as I can remember, I've had an almost insatiable taste for music that has only intensified as I've gotten older. I still test highest in musical intelligence, and my brain is wired to remember the lyrics to almost any song I enjoy.
    This love of music came mainly from my father - my mother enjoys music a great deal, but my father made his living studying it.
    Nobody wants to believe they're just a casual listener even though most people are -- all due respect to those who are, I've just never understood it.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Interesting perspective. I don't see it as dedication, and the concept seems very Fe. I would say I have a relationship with music (which I suppose could be either F function). My relationship with music is both active and passive, because I both listen to it and play it. It's also very deep and profound, as well as transformative. Music is life. Matter is energy which produces vibrations, and life exists as harmonious vibration. The world is sound. Hinduism teaches this. Music puts me in harmony with the universe.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think I'm somewhere in between the two extremes. Oftentimes I am just happy to hear whatever is on the radio or happens to be playing in the background. Yet, I frequently search out new music too. I spent alot of time listening to music but I don't create any of my own. I have alot of bands and musicians that I like but I'm not fanatic about any particular one. I'm not the sort of person to travel hundreds of miles to go to a show for example.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Title View Post
    I am devoted, I am dedicated, and quite frankly, I can't imagine life without it.
    I know casual listeners. Even more than casual listeners who ask me if I ever have a moment of silence because I listen to so much music.
    (The answer is yes.)
    But as far back as I can remember, I've had an almost insatiable taste for music that has only intensified as I've gotten older. I still test highest in musical intelligence, and my brain is wired to remember the lyrics to almost any song I enjoy.
    This love of music came mainly from my father - my mother enjoys music a great deal, but my father made his living studying it.
    Nobody wants to believe they're just a casual listener even though most people are -- all due respect to those who are, I've just never understood it.
    Yeah, same here. My dad is into music as well.

I was fortunate enough to have obtained an entire collection of old 45s and LPs I got to hear everything from motown stuff to Black Sabbath growing up. Also when I was little I had a portable radio that I'd sneak into bed with me and go to sleep quietly listening to classical music on an AM station.

Some times when I was a kid I'd spend all day playing 45s on this cheap little plastic record player made for kids. It had one tiny built in speaker that sounded like crap, but I loved it.

To tell the truth, I think music saved my life.

I used to be more devoted to it (listening wise.. never cared much for concerts). Nowadays, I have my favorites, but I'm just as amused by digital "smart playlists" which sift through my tastes and bring up related things. I'm a musician (guitars, other string instruments), but that's more therapeutic than anything. It's just relaxing to create and fudge around, then move on to something else. I used to be more serious about it, but not enough to have done anything on my own.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I used to be more devoted to it (listening wise.. never cared much for concerts). Nowadays, I have my favorites, but I'm just as amused by digital "smart playlists" which sift through my tastes and bring up related things. I'm a musician (guitars, other string instruments), but that's more therapeutic than anything. It's just relaxing to create and fudge around, then move on to something else. I used to be more serious about it, but not enough to have done anything on my own.
    Nothing wrong with that. Some times I just pick up the guitar and putz around with a bottle slide, just doing whatever.

WALMART

I am dedicated, in the sense that I have analyzed the structure and meaning behind the same three sets of artists for years now.

The short answer is no. I think.

I listen to what fits my mood, when it does, used to build my own library [now but digital clutter in dusty harddrives] but rarely do nowdays, with the advent of free internet radio playlists for all the genres I may like and then some, to automatic mood adjusted ones.

Occasionally I'll pretend to play [keys, guitars], or create something, when the mood strikes/mind finds the room for it, but otherwise that stays on hold.

I've gone to concerts back in the day, involving several hour drives/summer camp-fest, both for the music and the experience.

I'll usually have music playing wherever I am, unless it's not possible or practical, so take from it what you will.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.