• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you music devoted?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Can't say that I am. Must be a "sx" thing :wink:

I will obsess over favorite songs, though, putting them on virtually endless repeat.

I'm usually either into hard metal/punk or New Age stuff. I don't get absorbed, but they do set the mood.

I do that too. I practically never listen to anything just once unless there's an interfering circumstance of some kind.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes lol.
I tend to dance at my desk, eyes closed, arms moving. Good thing for high cubicle walls.:dry:

Wish I had those some times. I'm pretty much in an open room with my back to the entrance so at times people must be standing there for five minutes before I notice.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Wish I had those some times. I'm pretty much in an open room with my back to the entrance so at times people must be standing there for five minutes before I notice.

Sometimes I do it in my car too, and I notice the person in the car next to me...looking at me. But I don't care. I'm doing something important. Respect my religion!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
As far as the concept of 'endless:repeat'...guilty as charged. I can listen to the same song, over and over, maybe 30 or more times in a row. There might be some hook or little section that I find totally delicious, so...it's like doing 30 'Hail Mary's', but delicious!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I am. I don't have any words to express what music means to me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is music for casual background listening, and music that demands my undivided attention. I will actually turn off music I enjoy if my attention must be on other things at the moment. I will also unconsciously tune out background music to focus on other things. If something is important to me (and much music falls into this category), I prefer to focus on it without distraction.

I can relate to this, in the sense that I can't really 'multi-task' when it ties to listening music... REALLY listening to music. If I'm really listening and really want to appreciate, the act of listening itself is what I have to focus 100% on - no other distractions or other things I'm trying to accomplish. Otherwise if, say, I'm doing work while 'listening to music', I may not even notice that 5 songs on my playlist just passed me by, because I'm not focusing on actually paying attention to the music, if that makes sense.

But yeah, focusing solely on music is something I very much enjoy; immersing myself in it. Earlier in my life, I'd spent a lot of my free time doing that; was also a way to wind down. I'd just put some music on and lie on my bed for an hour or two, absorbing it. Nowadays I rarely do that; I'm too preoccupied doing other things, for better or for worse.

One of the best times these days I can actually focus on music is when driving. Which, actually, is kind of scary given all of the above - it means I'm mostly in auto-pilot when driving, then. Which... I guess is the case for most people, so ah well. ;)

--------

To the OP - I don't think I 'live it' in the sense you're describing, but I'm not idle/casual either. I'm very particular about what I like and why I like it (or don't like it), and what really speaks to me, but I've got several other things in life I'm interested in & focus on, too.

Lark

I'm a casual listener I guess, although I dont follow the charts because I dont think they are any good to be honest, there's some tunes occasionally and usually they are one hit wonders and they are there and then fade away which are good but they arent songs I'll repeatedly listen to or artists I'll follow and try and see in concert or anything like that.

I used to be a devotee of rage against the machine and the smashing pumpkins but, seriously, those were the last groups and with RATM that was before the split and reunification of the act and by then I sort of felt they were played out.

I dont listen to music as much now and I'm lazy about creating decent play lists on my iPod, especially since I accidentially updated my iTunes and it ruined what skill I had at doing that sort of thing, I listen to audiobooks while in the gym for instance but that is as much to do with the fact that I dont mind listening to an audiobook with the gym playing music in the background as I do two different songs playing simultaneously.

Live music and music in pubs I like a lot, I like traditional irish music too and music as an abstract idea. This year I want to learn to play some instruments and get a greater appreciation for music generally. Learn some songs and poems too.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really.

The music I enjoy are usually integrated to something else that I like (e.g. a movie or a video game) so that I'm induced to like the music that comes attached to it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am a casual music person. I am picky about what I listen to, but not because I have a clue about music or have refined tastes or anything. I just like what I like. Mostly, though, I use my iPod for audiobooks and don't listen to music all that often.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Of utmost importance. It's one of the very few interests which has proven un fleeting.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Probably more listen to it as it comes along. I don't go out of my way, though I can be kinda picky with what I listen to.

Then other times I'm like 'whatever' and I listen to Kesha, Rihanna, and their kind.

Permabanned
Background, or active listening? How much do you engage in it?

When you hear a favorite song, do you feel the need to drop everything and give it your full attention?

It depends on how critical the activity is, but it's mostly background, I seldom put on a record and just sit back listening to it. The closest to that would be a youtube video/playlist.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
I spend way too much time looking up music. Pretty devoted. It's hard to imagine life without music. I also take classes for making music at my college, thinking of making it my major.

I'm an electronic music fan, and listen to and follow "hipster" music more than I should. Chillwave, witch house, vaporwave, glo-fi, hypnagogic pop, etc.

I would without a doubt choose to lose my sight over my hearing. It would be very hard to live without music or communication.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also test highest on musical intelligence. I played piano and guitar and sang in choirs growing up, used to sing constantly even as a very young child, have spent countless hours listening to music of all kinds all my life -- yes, it's the one thing that remains constant, and I'm not sure how well I'd function without it.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not in the sense the OP is asking. I don't explore the darkest realms for new musical experiences, I don't go out of my way. :( But I'm always up for hearing something new.

However, one thing I've never personally liked is the idea of "background music" as being the only use for music. When I "listen to music," it's my main focus, not a background. If I'm doing something that causes the music to slip into the background, I turn it off / change to something different. Still, background music has its place--it's just that using it that way shows, to me, less respect than Active Listening.