• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you music devoted?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The metal thread got me thinking. What is music to you?

Some people are just casual listeners. They idly listen to whatever is appealing or on the charts at the time.

Other people are dedicated to music. They will go to great lengths to seek out new experiences, or to attend shows, even travelling very far to do so.

I ask this because metal for example is truly something that you live. That much I understand. I'm not entirely a metalhead in practice but I understand it at heart. I just apply it to all forms of music. I'm dedicated to music itself (which is a rather difficult and time consuming endeavor, believe me)

Some people are the same way with other kinds of music, whether it's jazz, classical, or dubstep.

So. Do you live your music, or do you just hear it as it comes along?

Title

there, there
MBTI Type
iNtj
Enneagram
etc
I am devoted, I am dedicated, and quite frankly, I can't imagine life without it.
I know casual listeners. Even more than casual listeners who ask me if I ever have a moment of silence because I listen to so much music.
(The answer is yes.)
But as far back as I can remember, I've had an almost insatiable taste for music that has only intensified as I've gotten older. I still test highest in musical intelligence, and my brain is wired to remember the lyrics to almost any song I enjoy.
This love of music came mainly from my father - my mother enjoys music a great deal, but my father made his living studying it.
Nobody wants to believe they're just a casual listener even though most people are -- all due respect to those who are, I've just never understood it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting perspective. I don't see it as dedication, and the concept seems very Fe. I would say I have a relationship with music (which I suppose could be either F function). My relationship with music is both active and passive, because I both listen to it and play it. It's also very deep and profound, as well as transformative. Music is life. Matter is energy which produces vibrations, and life exists as harmonious vibration. The world is sound. Hinduism teaches this. Music puts me in harmony with the universe.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I'm somewhere in between the two extremes. Oftentimes I am just happy to hear whatever is on the radio or happens to be playing in the background. Yet, I frequently search out new music too. I spent alot of time listening to music but I don't create any of my own. I have alot of bands and musicians that I like but I'm not fanatic about any particular one. I'm not the sort of person to travel hundreds of miles to go to a show for example.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am devoted, I am dedicated, and quite frankly, I can't imagine life without it.
I know casual listeners. Even more than casual listeners who ask me if I ever have a moment of silence because I listen to so much music.
(The answer is yes.)
But as far back as I can remember, I've had an almost insatiable taste for music that has only intensified as I've gotten older. I still test highest in musical intelligence, and my brain is wired to remember the lyrics to almost any song I enjoy.
This love of music came mainly from my father - my mother enjoys music a great deal, but my father made his living studying it.
Nobody wants to believe they're just a casual listener even though most people are -- all due respect to those who are, I've just never understood it.

Yeah, same here. My dad is into music as well.

I was fortunate enough to have obtained an entire collection of old 45s and LPs I got to hear everything from motown stuff to Black Sabbath growing up. Also when I was little I had a portable radio that I'd sneak into bed with me and go to sleep quietly listening to classical music on an AM station.

Some times when I was a kid I'd spend all day playing 45s on this cheap little plastic record player made for kids. It had one tiny built in speaker that sounded like crap, but I loved it.

To tell the truth, I think music saved my life.

KDude

I used to be more devoted to it (listening wise.. never cared much for concerts). Nowadays, I have my favorites, but I'm just as amused by digital "smart playlists" which sift through my tastes and bring up related things. I'm a musician (guitars, other string instruments), but that's more therapeutic than anything. It's just relaxing to create and fudge around, then move on to something else. I used to be more serious about it, but not enough to have done anything on my own.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I used to be more devoted to it (listening wise.. never cared much for concerts). Nowadays, I have my favorites, but I'm just as amused by digital "smart playlists" which sift through my tastes and bring up related things. I'm a musician (guitars, other string instruments), but that's more therapeutic than anything. It's just relaxing to create and fudge around, then move on to something else. I used to be more serious about it, but not enough to have done anything on my own.
Nothing wrong with that. Some times I just pick up the guitar and putz around with a bottle slide, just doing whatever.

W

WALMART

I am dedicated, in the sense that I have analyzed the structure and meaning behind the same three sets of artists for years now.

Permabanned
The short answer is no. I think.

I listen to what fits my mood, when it does, used to build my own library [now but digital clutter in dusty harddrives] but rarely do nowdays, with the advent of free internet radio playlists for all the genres I may like and then some, to automatic mood adjusted ones.

Occasionally I'll pretend to play [keys, guitars], or create something, when the mood strikes/mind finds the room for it, but otherwise that stays on hold.

I've gone to concerts back in the day, involving several hour drives/summer camp-fest, both for the music and the experience.

I'll usually have music playing wherever I am, unless it's not possible or practical, so take from it what you will. :shrug:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
The short answer is no. I think.

I listen to what fits my mood, when it does, used to build my own library [now but digital clutter in dusty harddrives] but rarely do nowdays, with the advent of free internet radio playlists for all the genres I may like and then some, to automatic mood adjusted ones.

Occasionally I'll pretend to play [keys, guitars], or create something, when the mood strikes/mind finds the room for it, but otherwise that stays on hold.

I've gone to concerts back in the day, involving several hour drives/summer camp-fest, both for the music and the experience.

I'll usually have music playing wherever I am, unless it's not possible or practical, so take from it what you will. :shrug:

Background, or active listening? How much do you engage in it?

When you hear a favorite song, do you feel the need to drop everything and give it your full attention?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think I'm more of a casual listener.

I hope that's not a bad thing...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is music for casual background listening, and music that demands my undivided attention. I will actually turn off music I enjoy if my attention must be on other things at the moment. I will also unconsciously tune out background music to focus on other things. If something is important to me (and much music falls into this category), I prefer to focus on it without distraction.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By your definition I'm devoted, but I'm not any more devoted to music than I am to any other experiences in life. I love live music, in fact it's nearly the only way I will listen to metal with the exception of a couple of groups.

Music ends up being nearly like a food to me, something that feels just right when I'm hungry for something in particular. I will go out of my way to try new things, to try to appreciate them just so I can extend my palate and have more choices. I'm afraid that I don't have a very good 'ear' when listening, I rarely listen heavily to words or isolated instruments, more to mood, rhythm and texture.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That depends on some things which I can't quite explain.

I think I'm pretty devoted. I think quite a few people would have difficulty identifying me without the headphones which I constantly carry, and I listen to music more than I listen to people. However, I've only been to one concert by choice. Not that I wouldn't attend a concert for what I listen to now, I just wouldn't know where to look for one. :laugh:

Am I devoted? I don't know. I don't really care either. Being called music devoted won't change anything, anyway.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I used to be devoted. I'm not as much now, but I still swoon over music at times. I can really feel it. I've had what I would describe as a religious experience with music, both from listening and from playing. Moments of transcendence, where I lose track of time, and even where I am. It is the best feeling I have ever experienced. I think it's referred to as a 'flow' state. No drug I've tried can touch it.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I used to be devoted. I'm not as much now, but I still swoon over music at times. I can really feel it. I've had what I would describe as a religious experience with music, both from listening and from playing. Moments of transcendence, where I lose track of time, and even where I am. It is the best feeling I have ever experienced. I think it's referred to as a 'flow' state. No drug I've tried can touch it.
Haha yeah, and next thing you know you're wobbling around, dancing, head bobbing or even head banging and it's not even in any kind of self aware fashion, your body just starts moving itself!

And then I get embarrassed when somebody walks in on me and I can't hear them because of my giant headphones and I'm convulsing like a lunatic.

G

garbage

Can't say that I am. Must be a "sx" thing :wink:

I will obsess over favorite songs, though, putting them on virtually endless repeat.

I'm usually either into hard metal/punk or New Age stuff. I don't get absorbed, but they do set the mood.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Haha yeah, and next thing you know you're wobbling around, dancing, head bobbing or even head banging and it's not even in any kind of self aware fashion, your body just starts moving itself!

And then I get embarrassed when somebody walks in on me and I can't hear them because of my giant headphones and I'm convulsing like a lunatic.

Yes lol.
I tend to dance at my desk, eyes closed, arms moving. Good thing for high cubicle walls.:dry: