User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Can't say that I am. Must be a "sx" thing

I will obsess over favorite songs, though, putting them on virtually endless repeat.

I'm usually either into hard metal/punk or New Age stuff. I don't get absorbed, but they do set the mood.
    I do that too. I practically never listen to anything just once unless there's an interfering circumstance of some kind.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Yes lol.
    I tend to dance at my desk, eyes closed, arms moving. Good thing for high cubicle walls.
    Wish I had those some times. I'm pretty much in an open room with my back to the entrance so at times people must be standing there for five minutes before I notice.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Wish I had those some times. I'm pretty much in an open room with my back to the entrance so at times people must be standing there for five minutes before I notice.
    Sometimes I do it in my car too, and I notice the person in the car next to me...looking at me. But I don't care. I'm doing something important. Respect my religion!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Sometimes I do it in my car too, and I notice the person in the car next to me...looking at me. But I don't care. I'm doing something important. Respect my religion!
    Haha yes!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

As far as the concept of 'endless:repeat'...guilty as charged. I can listen to the same song, over and over, maybe 30 or more times in a row. There might be some hook or little section that I find totally delicious, so...it's like doing 30 'Hail Mary's', but delicious!

MBTI
    INFJ

Yup and my earworms are always things that I want to hear.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yes I am. I don't have any words to express what music means to me.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    There is music for casual background listening, and music that demands my undivided attention. I will actually turn off music I enjoy if my attention must be on other things at the moment. I will also unconsciously tune out background music to focus on other things. If something is important to me (and much music falls into this category), I prefer to focus on it without distraction.
    I can relate to this, in the sense that I can't really 'multi-task' when it ties to listening music... REALLY listening to music. If I'm really listening and really want to appreciate, the act of listening itself is what I have to focus 100% on - no other distractions or other things I'm trying to accomplish. Otherwise if, say, I'm doing work while 'listening to music', I may not even notice that 5 songs on my playlist just passed me by, because I'm not focusing on actually paying attention to the music, if that makes sense.

But yeah, focusing solely on music is something I very much enjoy; immersing myself in it. Earlier in my life, I'd spent a lot of my free time doing that; was also a way to wind down. I'd just put some music on and lie on my bed for an hour or two, absorbing it. Nowadays I rarely do that; I'm too preoccupied doing other things, for better or for worse.

One of the best times these days I can actually focus on music is when driving. Which, actually, is kind of scary given all of the above - it means I'm mostly in auto-pilot when driving, then. Which... I guess is the case for most people, so ah well.

--------

To the OP - I don't think I 'live it' in the sense you're describing, but I'm not idle/casual either. I'm very particular about what I like and why I like it (or don't like it), and what really speaks to me, but I've got several other things in life I'm interested in & focus on, too.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I can't imagine living without it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm a casual listener I guess, although I dont follow the charts because I dont think they are any good to be honest, there's some tunes occasionally and usually they are one hit wonders and they are there and then fade away which are good but they arent songs I'll repeatedly listen to or artists I'll follow and try and see in concert or anything like that.

I used to be a devotee of rage against the machine and the smashing pumpkins but, seriously, those were the last groups and with RATM that was before the split and reunification of the act and by then I sort of felt they were played out.

I dont listen to music as much now and I'm lazy about creating decent play lists on my iPod, especially since I accidentially updated my iTunes and it ruined what skill I had at doing that sort of thing, I listen to audiobooks while in the gym for instance but that is as much to do with the fact that I dont mind listening to an audiobook with the gym playing music in the background as I do two different songs playing simultaneously.

Live music and music in pubs I like a lot, I like traditional irish music too and music as an abstract idea. This year I want to learn to play some instruments and get a greater appreciation for music generally. Learn some songs and poems too.