User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Default DJANGO UNCHAINED

Quentin Tarantino again adds his brand of humor to the landscape of American movies in taking the serious issue of slavery and, in his genius somehow finds humor in the theme.

The Story (from the film's website):
    Set in the South two years before the Civil War, DJANGO UNCHAINED stars Academy Award®-winner Jamie Foxx as Django, a slave whose brutal history with his former owners lands him face-to-face with German-born bounty hunter Dr. King Schultz (Academy Award®-winner Christoph Waltz). Schultz is on the trail of the murderous Brittle brothers, and only Django can lead him to his bounty. The unorthodox Schultz acquires Django with a promise to free him upon the capture of the Brittles – dead or alive.
    Success leads Schultz to free Django, though the two men choose not to go their separate ways. Instead, Schultz seeks out the South's most wanted criminals with Django by his side. Honing vital hunting skills, Django remains focused on one goal: finding and rescuing Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), the wife he lost to the slave trade long ago.
    Django and Schultz's search ultimately leads them to Calvin Candie (Academy Award®-nominee Leonardo DiCaprio), the proprietor of "Candyland," an infamous plantation. Exploring the compound under false pretenses, Django and Schultz arouse the suspicion of Stephen (Academy Award®-nominee Samuel L. Jackson), Candie's trusted house slave. Their moves are marked, and a treacherous organization closes in on them. If Django and Schultz are to escape with Broomhilda, they must choose between independence and solidarity, between sacrifice and survival...

What is your reaction to the trailer? (The movie debuts Christmas Day). IMO the trailer looks like he does make this movie funny.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm just impressed he might have successfully cast DiCaprio as a bad guy with teeth. despite his typically boyish exterior.

But it's definitely a must-see for me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Here's one of the trailers.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm just impressed he might have successfully cast DiCaprio as a bad guy with teeth. despite his typically boyish exterior.

But it's definitely a must-see for me.
    Yeah

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've read a little bit about the movie. I don't much remember Roots, although I remember it airing (I was young -- maybe 8-9 years old?); and they were commenting on the scene near the end where the protagonist is offered a chance to whip his white master and "takes the high road." And how this movie, everyone's like, "that's just total bullshit," and Django doesn't indulge such scruples. After the way that blacks were abused by their masters to the point of losing loved ones including spouses and children, could any black person choose to let such evil go as if it were inconsequential?

One thing I like about Tarantino is that he's pretty honest about how people work, even to the point of some crazy stuff happening in his movies. he's not going to preach or use the movie to instill behavior, he lets characters follow their impulses but he's also honest about the ramifications of their behavior. Kill Bill's another obvious example of that, where Bill's gang pays for its crime against The Bride... but in the process of meting out punishment, the Bride sets her own chain of events in motion (for example, when she disfigures Sophie and worse when she kills Niki's mom). There's a horrible but starkly true scene where she's honest with Niki about why she did what she did and says if she still feels raw about it when she's grown up, she can come find her and settle things. I've heard rumors of a KB3, and it's supposedly going to involve that subplot.

Anyway, I like that he offers his characters freedom, they respond pretty realistically to situations, and then they are forced to face the ramifications of those decisions; they are not morality plays, aside from being honest about the typical outcomes of people's choices.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Went to an advanced screening. It was all I could have hoped for in a Tarantino film (read: it was awesome.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Went to an advanced screening. It was all I could have hoped for in a Tarantino film (read: it was awesome.)
    WOO HOO!

okay, that's cool. I love Tarantino flicks, he makes me smile.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Do the characters talk about movie trivia in this one?

MBTI
    ISTx

Can't wait to see this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Basically why I want to see the movie.