User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Probably going to see this today sometime.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Saw it. Thought it was really great.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Just got out from a sold out showing.
    Django is a return to form for Tarantino and easily his best since Kill Bill Vol. 1.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Just got out from a sold out showing.Django is a return to form for Tarantino and easily his best since Kill Bill Vol. 1.
    I'm so excited to see this!!!
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

As offensive as some critics consider Tarantino's films to be, the modest director is still not edgy enough to bring blackface back to the cinema.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Spike Lee says he won't see this film because of the racial content. comments?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Imagine if a white actor played Jamie Foxx's character!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Racial content? It's a movie about pre-civil ware America, of course there's racial content.

I haven't seen it, though. Is there anything really controversial?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Spike lee has always struck me as more of a "divider than a uniter". I think movies like "do the right thing" he displays a very us/them mentality. I think taro tions films present characters as individuals who have their own responses the race. Spike lee accused tarintino of making a mockery of slavery but I thought it was a very insightful movie. I think it presented a variety of ways in which black people and white people interacted and particularly the character of Steven seemed really interesting. On the one hand his the stereotypical "yes man" slave but he also has certain amount of sway and control.

I thought the movie did a good job of displaying the brutality without it becoming overly moralizing or sentimental. One scene I remember is django in Mississippi being passed by slaves in various forms of torture devices. It's a trasitonal scene and I think the fact that the characters don't really focus in on it makes it more powerful because we see how people just accepted that kind of brutality.

For some reason the scene where django is fighting in the candor mansion and the rap music is playing struck me as an important choice of music. I don't know if it was intentional but it made me think of media perception of black men as Dangerous criminals or gang mbers and how black people have sort of entered into the country through violence and been on the receiving end of a lot of violence since then. But that was just an association I made.

As for all the n-word usage. I don't know why that's so shocking from a film set in the era it is set it.

I watched this in a majority white audience. I felt self conscious of the audience occasionally. Seemed like people were unsure when it was okay to laugh sometimes. I felt like Steven got more laughs than he should. Especially when he is playing the echo of candor. I feel like that's a very tragic character but others seemed to find it funny?

Anyways I thought it was a great movie

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    Racial content? It's a movie about pre-civil ware America, of course there's racial content.

I haven't seen it, though. Is there anything really controversial?
    He can't resist an opportunity to make anything ALL ABOUT HIM.
    And controversial, my ass.

If you take spaghetti westerns seriously you need to have your head examined.
    My audience was prominently black (as am I). I enjoyed this movie immensely. The audience loved it, too.

Slavery was a very brutal and dark period in American history. It wasn't pleasant.
    Neither is Django Unchained. I'll be damned if it isn't a lot of fun, though.

Spike Lee can go sit on some eggs.