User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ginkgo

Pacific Rim refreshes movie goers because it does what all movies should do - advertise itself accurately. What you see is what you get.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes. And it has Idris Elba aka my movie boyfriend in it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yes. And it has Idris Elba aka my movie boyfriend in it.
    He was pretty hawt and believable here -- very 'strong' in all the right ways.

Do you have any other recommendations for movies with him acting in? I wasn't as impressed with Prometheus.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    So Guillermo understands that in a movie that people go to see because they want to see giants fighting, it's important to be able see the giants fighting? Cool.

Also, is there less dopey twilight for boys wish fulfillment in this? That was the other big problem with Transformers.
    The movie could have probably used even more fighting, to be honest -- maybe that is what Duck was getting at. Not that there wasn't a lot, but even moah would have been cool. There's some actual attempt at character development which isn't bad, but it does create kind of a lull where not a ton is happening plot-wise.

I found it hard to tell the difference between the two Channing Tatum half-clones. Maybe that's why they had them speak with different accents.

As far as the fighting, at times because everything is so big and there's so much destruction, it can be hard to scan what exactly is happening or who is getting mangled.

Oh, Ron Perlman chews up the scenery, providing some bad-ass comic relief just as he did in Blade 2 and other pics. Kind of amusing. And Charlie Day as a dorky biologist and his sidekick scientist buddy are kind of amusing too -- I can see him channeling a bit of Rick Moranis here too.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I liked him in Prometheus but I think a lot of the stuff that would have made his character make more sense ended up on the cutting room floor.

I don't know if you're into police dramas at all but he stars in BBC's Luther, which is excellent, as police dramas go. There's something charming about British shows where this big powerful guy gets around in a Volvo.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Forgot to mention the score: It was adventurous, memorable and bombastic. Fit the movie perfectly--none of that self-important, Hans Zimmer-inspired minimalist/horn/forced melancholy droning bullshit.

I cant imagine seeing Pacific Rim as a child or preteen. I'd have lost my damn fool mind. They dont make them like this anymore. It isnt drenched in irony or self-loathing--Pacific Rim is PROUD to be a ridiculous giant monster/mecha flick. It is completely unapologetic.

I hope it does well at the box office. Would be nice to have more giant robot movies (that especially isnt Transformers).

(Addendum: I'd possibly go gay for Idris Elba while I am at it)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Man, this movie is gonna be bad-ass. It's gonna make Optimus Prime and company look like toys...um...well...you know what I mean...um...just watch the trailer.

Mighty Morphing Power Raaaaannnnnggggggeeers!!

Besides the corny love interest (especially the ending, lol)

It was pretty cool.

Characters don't feel as forced.

You know, the two scientists that play the role of relief had some role besides being relief.

I had a good time.

I kind of want to watch Elysium now (besides Ender's Game.)

All these sci-fi tech movies, omg, so many.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Besides the corny love interest (especially the ending, lol)

It was pretty cool.

Characters don't feel as forced.

You know, the two scientists that play the role of relief had some role besides being relief.

I had a good time.

I kind of want to watch Elysium now (besides Ender's Game.)

All these sci-fi tech movies, omg, so many.
    I'm kind of intrigued by Elysium.
    (And Ender's Game, I suppose.)

Both movies have some decent cast, at least.

The movie was a bit hokey and the plot line predictable, but the special effects were fun and it was enjoyable in an unnecessary destruction sort of way.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.