User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

If Guillermo is better at directing action scenes involving giant robots/creatures than Michael Bay, I might go see this.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    If Guillermo is better at directing action scenes involving giant robots/creatures than Michael Bay, I might go see this.
    RT normally hates stuff like this, but it's been holding pretty steady at 73-75% since the reviews were released. Sounds like it's a winner, if giant rock'em robots are your cup of tea.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've been excited to see it for a while. Like Jen said, this kind of stuff is usually panned by the critics.

The cast looks good. Big fan of Idris Elba and Charlie Day, and I think the director is pretty solid as well though I can't remember who it is at the moment.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Saw it last night...oddly the only thing that holds the movie back is that it attempts to have a plot.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That was enjoyable. Predictable but fun. Elba was solid.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 07-13-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: stupid typos / typoes / mistakes / whatever!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm gonna see at as well. In 3D, at 6:30 PST. Though I think this one was a post-conversion.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Thought it looked kinda lame til a new trailer a few weeks ago.

That actually made me want to see it.

8.1 on IMDB?

No movie over an 8 is ever bad.

I suspect I will be seeing this in the not-so-distant future.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

This both made Transformers look like Power Rangers and it was also perhaps what Transformers would've been if Ang Lee directed it.

Ron Perlman (who is uglier than any alien monster conjured up in the film) was hilarious, and the vfx were absolutely mindblowing; it's gonna be hard for any other movie to top them this year. My biggest complaint: Is it too much to ask to have a major Jaeger-Kaiju brawl in broad daylight? Yeah, the night shots give off pretty colors, but it seems like a wasted opportunity to not let these expensive vfx setpieces (at least 1700 shots) truly shine without any obscurity. AND THE SHAKY CAM NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM ALL MOVIES!!!!

Second biggest complaint: It started off a bit too slow.

Oh, and the 3D was indeed a post job...and it was even better than Life of Pi.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

So Guillermo understands that in a movie that people go to see because they want to see giants fighting, it's important to be able see the giants fighting? Cool.

Also, is there less dopey twilight for boys wish fulfillment in this? That was the other big problem with Transformers.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

We're going to see this next week while the kids are away. If it's really good we'll see it again with them. I'm super excited about it. I'm a pretty big fan of giant robots that aren't Transformers.