• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...ter-familiar-looking-revealing-181207193.html

Welcome to the unveiling of the first poster for the highly anticipated "Star Trek" sequel, "Star Trek Into Darkness." Or, as we now like to call it, "[Whatever Villain Benedict Cumberbatch is Playing] Rises."

The new "Star Trek" film looks to have been directed by Christopher Nolan, as the poster brings back more than a few memories of the one-sheet for this summer's "The Dark Knight Rises" (and the one for Nolan's "Inception," at that)...

Even though it looks more like another bad day in Gotham than a new "Trek" adventure, the poster does shed some light on some plot points of the still highly secretive film. We now know according to the film's synopsis that some sort of city is going to, well, crumble, and one on Earth, at that. That could be London's The Gherkin on the right there, or we could be looking at what remains of a futuristic San Francisco, a familiar "Star Trek" location.

The poster also gives us a look at the man whom it's probably safe to say is responsible for this mess -- we assume that's Benedict Cumberbatch who's gravely accessing the devastation, his villainous trenchcoat blowing in the dust-filled wind. The figure's dark hair and coat seem to match the first set photos spotted in February that showed Cumberbatch fighting Spock and Uhura.

... the costume -- and the poster's scenario -- definitely provides more fuel to the theory that he's playing Gary Mitchell, Kirk's former Starfleet pal who gained superpowers and went crazy in the original series episode, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (you can watch that entire episode on Netflix).

Totally forgot about that episode, but yeah... not a bad choice of a direction for a movie, although it would become more of a superhero / scifi pic in the process.

startrek2poster-jpg_155636.jpg

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's definitely the Gherkin in the picture, but it looks like a mix of buildings from different cities.

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all but this poster and the presence of Benedict Cumberbatch are both quite tempting. Although I'd probably be totally confused due to my lack of Trekkie knowledge.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's definitely the Gherkin in the picture, but it looks like a mix of buildings from different cities.

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all but this poster and the presence of Benedict Cumberbatch are both quite tempting. Although I'd probably be totally confused due to my lack of Trekkie knowledge.

Well, the first movie was written in such a way that you don't need to know any trek lore to really understand the plot. It's simply that the more familiar you are with Trek minutia, the richer the movie seems because you can either see them bringing something into the movie from the old continuities, or you can see them change something that you knew was established in the other continuties. So it's like Trekker heaven.

The Gary Mitchell story line involved a friend of Kirk (back in STTOS, AKA the 1968-72 run) who acquired superhuman powers on a planet they beamed down to; his powers started out low-level but were slowly increasing, and as his powers grew, he began to be corrupted by them and he grew more threatening to the crew and then eventually probably to earth and others, so the crew had to find a way to put him down. Tough love episode. :)

EDIT: Ooops. The episode aired in 1966 the first time. Sorry, I guess I'm not a total Trek geek.

EDIT2: Another mistake -- they never beam to a planet in the begining, they go through some energy discharge field that kills some crew but leaves two of them with powers. The endgame, though, does take place on a planet.

I'm so embarrassed. :(

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Zach Quinto was on Conan last night and he said that there's going to be a 9-minute trailer for this at the beginning of The Hobbit.

Another reason to go see The Hobbit!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Zach Quinto was on Conan last night and he said that there's going to be a 9-minute trailer for this at the beginning of The Hobbit.

Another reason to go see The Hobbit!

I should post what I've read about The Hobbit so far too: I've actually seen some big gripes about the 48fps rate Jackson is filming it in. I was rather surprised, I didn't realize there was an issue involving that, from an audience perspective.

But definitely it should all be cool.

It's hard to believe it's almost here, I keep forgetting it IS December now already!

A

Anew Leaf

I am ridiculously excited for this movie... even though I haven't watched any original Star Trek... or seen any of the movies involving the original cast.
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]:
I should post what I've read about The Hobbit so far too: I've actually seen some big gripes about the 48fps rate Jackson is filming it in. I was rather surprised, I didn't realize there was an issue involving that, from an audience perspective.

Yeah, what is the deal with this? I am seeing it with friends in a couple of weeks and one of them demanded we see it the high frame rate version and 3D (UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.... freaking ENTJs making plans). When I inquired about this version another friend said it will make it look "soap operaish" which didn't resonate with me.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would've rather they went in the direction of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (except actually give it some motion) and have them face a force of nature rather than a villain.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture had the right idea, but it was poorly applied.

And I hope the Klingons are somehow part of the story.

Standuble

The Klingons should be part of the story. The Narada did attack the Klingons and would be angry at the Romulans for their losses so it would be fitting if the Klingons were attempting to sneak past the Neutral Zone. Also the Vulcan remnants would no doubt be lobbying the rest of the Federation to fight the Romulans. Not only did a Romulan ship cause the destruction of nearly their entire species but they would ultimately know that the Romulans are an offshoot of the Vulcans and a sore reminder of their dark past before embracing logic. They may conclude that the war of ancient times has not ended and that they need to subdue the Romulans for their logic to reign supreme and for them to recover.

The second film will supposedly have Khan Noonien Singh in it. I can imagine him being rescued by the Klingons or the Romulans and becomes their weapon against the other faction and/or the Federation. From what appears of the poster, Khan will probably invade Earth at some point. It would be interesting if in this film his Klingon Bird of Prey was at the head of a massive Klingon invasion fleet instead and Earth was partially conquered or occupied. Starfleet would probably try to prevent an all out war in the Alpha Quadrant but that would probably be what the third film would be about.

R

Riva

Totally forgot about that episode

It was okay. The theory behind it / the message behind it is amazing though. I could only imagine that a movie based on it would be ideal for the series. No no me being a huge Star Trek fan has nothing to do with that opinion.

Benedict Cumberbatch as a villain for a theme such as this would be ideal. No no me being a huge Sherlock fan has nothing to do with that opinion. He is eccentric by all means (in this acting) and has a touch of arrogance that I believe is in most of his roles and I could only imagine that acting in the favour of the role he is going to play - a role of a man who had gained God powers.

And that accent of his - I hope they let him keep it.

The Klingons should be part of the story. The Narada did attack the Klingons and would be angry at the Romulans for their losses so it would be fitting if the Klingons were attempting to sneak past the Neutral Zone. Also the Vulcan remnants would no doubt be lobbying the rest of the Federation to fight the Romulans. Not only did a Romulan ship cause the destruction of nearly their entire species but they would ultimately know that the Romulans are an offshoot of the Vulcans and a sore reminder of their dark past before embracing logic. They may conclude that the war of ancient times has not ended and that they need to subdue the Romulans for their logic to reign supreme and for them to recover.

The second film will supposedly have Khan Noonien Singh in it. I can imagine him being rescued by the Klingons or the Romulans and becomes their weapon against the other faction and/or the Federation. From what appears of the poster, Khan will probably invade Earth at some point. It would be interesting if in this film his Klingon Bird of Prey was at the head of a massive Klingon invasion fleet instead and Earth was partially conquered or occupied. Starfleet would probably try to prevent an all out war in the Alpha Quadrant but that would probably be what the third film would be about.

As a true Star Trek fan I believe that Kligon dialogues shouldn't be translated to English. If you want to watch the movies you have to learn the language. As simple as that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, we have no idea currently of the characters in the film -- just the actors. The guy in the picture doesn't look like a Klingon. So not sure....

I wonder how the Klingons were impacted by the destruction of Vulcan in the first movie; didn't the Romulan vessel wipe out a bunch of Klingon warbirds or something, off camera?

As a true Star Trek fan I believe that Kligon dialogues shouldn't be translated to English. If you want to watch the movies you have to learn the language. As simple as that.

"The box office receipts are at $750K, for a movie budged at $95 million. Riva, you are fired as our marketing supervisor."

Standuble

I'm all for that. For the uneducated every Klingon action would be up to interpretation and deeper discussion. Is the Klingon smashing open that skull out of hate or love? Are the Klingon fleet bombarding the civilian population centres on that densely populated planet out of mockery or respect? Is the Klingon brutally raping a woman showing his sexual dominance or merely attempting to fulfill his dream of becoming the progenitor of a half-Klingon diaspora? It would make for some truly fascinating debates.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes. Bring on the Klingons. Almost 99.9% certain they will show up in some form.

And if they DO go with the Gary Mitchell character, I'll be incredibly happy. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the first full episode I've ever seen of Star Trek and remains to this day, one of my favorites. Back when they were discussing the reboot, I really did believe they should have started here. Truly, the episode was one of the most cinematic of the entire run.

Benedict is a hell of an actor, to boot. Looking forward to the trailer next week.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. Bring on the Klingons. Almost 99.9% certain they will show up in some form.

And if they DO go with the Gary Mitchell character, I'll be incredibly happy. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the first full episode I've ever seen of Star Trek and remains to this day, one of my favorites. Back when they were discussing the reboot, I really did believe they should have started here. Truly, the episode was one of the most cinematic of the entire run.

Benedict is a hell of an actor, to boot. Looking forward to the trailer next week.

I hope the Klingons look like Klingons if they do show up, because the Romulans didn't look like Romulans in the first (eleventh) film.

I watched the trailer, I'm disappointed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

haven't seen it. They're releasing one before The Hobbit.

I first read all the novelizations of the TOS when I was in middle/high school, and that episode/story was one of the few that really still sticks in my head decades later, even if I don't remember all the details. I'd definitely toss it on a top ten list of TOS episodes.

I never really knew the chronology of the pilot(s). The original "The Cage" pilot didn't really run because of the studio, so the Mitchell episode became the new pilot. I'd like to see the full-length uncut print of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...k-spock-die-star-trek-darkness-173527530.html

I can't see the teaser that Beorn posted until I get home, but the article describes the newest trailer content, I believe. So it's of a spoiler level of a trailer that you might run into if you see The Hobbit.

Possible that Abrams will further muck with the timeline and fold Kahn and Mitchell into the same persona... We might also be seeing an ending with some kind of major cast tragedy, such as the one that occurred at the end of ST2.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I never really knew the chronology of the pilot(s). The original "The Cage" pilot didn't really run because of the studio, so the Mitchell episode became the new pilot. I'd like to see the full-length uncut print of it.

I believe Wikipedia has the air dates listed in order...but don't quote me on that.

I hope the Klingons look like Klingons if they do show up, because the Romulans didn't look like Romulans in the first (eleventh) film.

The crew of the Narada altered their appearance in tribute to the death of Romulus. Explained in the prequel graphic novel, I believe. Don't quote me, either.

As for the trailer: It looks impressively large in scale and the antagonist appears truly menacing.
Nonetheless: Hasn't the theme of "revenge" been driven into the ground?

BTW, here is the extended Japanese trailer...