User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Learning an instrument as an adult

It is usually recommended to start early if you want to learn an instrument, but it's never too late.

Have you been studying an instrument as an adult?
    If so which one and did you teach yourself or did you take lessons?
    Was there an instrument that you already knew how to play and that helped you with a new one later on?
    How would you weigh theory vs practice?

Anecdotes and recommendations welcome!

Let's see if you guys can motivate me to pick up that neglected mandolin and give it another try
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oooh, I love the mandolin! You should definitely give it another try!

I have played flute since I was 9 years old and dabbled in piano and trombone (randomly) as a young person as well, but the only thing I ever got really good at was flute. I think in a way playing flute helped me learn other instruments, but I also think part of the reason I never got good at piano was because with the flute, your hands work together to produce one thing, whereas on the piano they both kind of have to do their own thing. I always had trouble with that. It's kind of the same on the guitar, which I am currently trying to teach myself.

Guitar has been weird, in that for about 6 months I practiced a lot, and felt like I didn't really make much progress at all. Then I took a bit of a break from it, came back to it, and all of a sudden found that I was making more progress. I don't know if I just needed a break to overcome that plateau or what, but I'm happy!

I also want to buy a keyboard sometime this winter and make another try at piano.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Thanks! I just found out that @whatever plays the mandolin as well. Is there a special method/book that you guys would recommend?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

being antisocial in a way, I taught myself to play it... and since I learned it before the advent of high speed internet, I learned from a book with pictures... learn the finger placements, learn what makes each sound by playing around with it and start by playing things that you're familiar with so that you can learn by ear as well as by reading music... gotta learn if you're playing it right... after you've gotten familiar with how to make the sounds that you want you're free to do anything

now, of course, there's youtube videos of anything
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

i play guitar, ive been playing for 8-9 years now and continuously learning theory.. when im disciplined enough. I've recently have been teaching myself the button accordion two row. I also have a few recorders and tin whistles I mess around with and a little keyboard. I like to sing too. I think theory and practice back and forth mixed with patience and not taking yourself too seriously= a positive outcome! Music is supposed to be fun, fruitful but most importantly fun and however you go about it, its always good. Do what you feel is natural and right Good Luck and rock out!

for scales on guitar and theory I have theory texts and the guitar handbook, I also found que cards helped with memorizing the basic placements.
    also don't use tablature... save yourself from bad habits now. Listen to music. I like pop/ techno instrumental songs for finding rhythms and riffs, opens a new space besides copying the songs or albums. that being said learning albums has its place too.

MBTI
    INFJ

Electric bass is pretty easy to learn.

Easy to learn but difficult to master.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

A lot of the instruments I want to learn are weird things which no one teaches.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    A lot of the instruments I want to learn are weird things which no one teaches.
    Go for it! If nobody teaches then you can't really do it wrong, I say.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Go for it! If nobody teaches then you can't really do it wrong, I say.
    I dont know, some of the instruments I dont even know the name of. I know the hurdy gurdy is one. There is another which is like a guitar but is a box and sits on the ground. The bard's "guitar" too, I'd like to learn that, I dont know if its the mandolin though.