User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know, some of the instruments I dont even know the name of. I know the hurdy gurdy is one. There is another which is like a guitar but is a box and sits on the ground. The bard's "guitar" too, I'd like to learn that, I dont know if its the mandolin though.
    Bard's guitar is probably a lute or something similar. There are people who teach that.

There are people who teach the hurdy gurdy as well but you'll have to track them down.

alot of culturally specific or period instruments you won't find anyone to teach them. Just if you can find one pick it up look up music with those instruments in it and test it out for yourself. Note by note and then get fancy! (technical advice) haha Seriously you can't go wrong!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    It is usually recommended to start early if you want to learn an instrument, but it's never too late.

Have you been studying an instrument as an adult?
    Yes: I play drums, bass, keyboards and guitar.
    If so which one and did you teach yourself or did you take lessons?
    I took lessons for some of it, but I also taugh myself most of what I know.
    Was there an instrument that you already knew how to play and that helped you with a new one later on?
    Piano. It's the most basic for learning music theory.
    How would you weigh theory vs practice?
    Practice is everything. Having an intellectual understanding means nothing without the learned ability to play what you know. This takes lots of repetition, but is it's own fun.
    Anecdotes and recommendations welcome!
    You will get frustrated with the slow pace of it, but this is only a matter of perspective. Learn to love the sound and motion of playing and be patient with yourself. The only way to learn things quickly is to have played many hours at slow to moderate speeds, and playing things accurately at those speeds. Only then will rapid learning be possible.
    My father took piano lessons at age 50, and was suprised that it was difficult to do (he had two PHD's)
    Let's see if you guys can motivate me to pick up that neglected mandolin and give it another try
    It's not unlike going from couch-potato to athlete. Possible, but very difficult at first. So be gentle with yourself, don't push hard and injure yourself, don't go so easy on yourself that you don't progress. Keep you hands, wrists and arms as relaxed as possible. Take some lessons and learn 'proper' technique. This is important. the established ways are around for a reason, so don't try to reinvent the wheel. It causes frustration later on when you realized that you have to relearn the basics in order to progress.
    But you can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Bard's guitar is probably a lute or something similar. There are people who teach that.

There are people who teach the hurdy gurdy as well but you'll have to track them down.
    Aye, not really in this neck of the woods.

Although to be honest I really should be interested in bodhrain or uilaillian pipes (no idea if I spelt those right)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Aye, not really in this neck of the woods.

Although to be honest I really should be interested in bodhrain or uilaillian pipes (no idea if I spelt those right)
    there are some good youtube videos for bodhran.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

There's an instrument the fecking gypsy beggers play in belfast sometimes which I often wondered whether it was a real thing or something they invented, its like a fiddle or violin but has a sort of horn or trumpet thing as part of it, anyone know what this is?

Originally Posted by Red Herring
    It is usually recommended to start early if you want to learn an instrument, but it's never too late.

Have you been studying an instrument as an adult?
    Yes: I play drums, bass, keyboards and guitar.
    If so which one and did you teach yourself or did you take lessons?
    I took lessons for some of it, but I also taugh myself most of what I know.
    Was there an instrument that you already knew how to play and that helped you with a new one later on?
    Piano. It's the most basic for learning music theory.
    How would you weigh theory vs practice?
    Practice is everything. Having an intellectual understanding means nothing without the learned ability to play what you know. This takes lots of repetition, but is it's own fun.
    Anecdotes and recommendations welcome!
    You will get frustrated with the slow pace of it, but this is only a matter of perspective. Learn to love the sound and motion of playing and be patient with yourself. The only way to learn things quickly is to have played many hours at slow to moderate speeds, and playing things accurately at those speeds. Only then will rapid learning be possible.
    My father took piano lessons at age 58, and was suprised that it was difficult to do (he had two PHD's)
    Let's see if you guys can motivate me to pick up that neglected mandolin and give it another try
    It's not unlike going from couch-potato to athlete. Possible, but very difficult at first. So be gentle with yourself, don't push hard and injure yourself, don't go so easy on yourself that you don't progress. Keep you hands, wrists and arms as relaxed as possible. Take some lessons and learn 'proper' technique. This is important. the established ways are around for a reason, so don't try to reinvent the wheel. It causes frustration later on when you realized that you have to relearn the basics in order to progress.
    But you can do it!
    This, pretty much. And nowadays, chances that something you are looking for NOT being on the web are slim. Books/websites/tutorials/videos.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    there are some good youtube videos for bodhran.
    I'm currently looking at some, I knew there were instructionals for guitar, all the popular tunes from video games and stuff so decided there could be the same for other instruments.

I'm convinced that I heard a remix at one point which was Carmina Burana or a very similar tune with uillean pipes in it but I cant find it, I'm looking for something which could combine music like that.