User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 30

  1. #1
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default Single vs Multiplayer games?

    Simple question: Do people prefer Single or Multiplayer games?

    When I was younger I used to love multiplayer, the competitive side, the engaging with others from all over the world and being pitted against each other in an arena of skill.

    However, as I got older I started to see how pointless multiplayer was for myself. All it ever did was frustrate and anger me, it made me arrogant and ignorant and I despised myself more and more the further I got into it. There are many different genre's of game, of course, but I played lots of different ones.

    However the same problem would arise, I would look for something I could make unique to myself, some play style or build or even just my actions in game, eventually however it would always be rendered moot, useless or copied.

    And then I realised that it is all about efficiency, effectiveness and what the end product can produce. People abuse and abuse until they get the most powerful or effective methods worked out....then once they have been nerfed due to imbalances, they then move onto the next....and the next...and so on.

    This frustrates and irritates me in the extreme, there is very little in the way of freedom or individuality in multiplayer games. It's generally all built up around group conceptions. If the majority claims something is overpowered....it is overpowered with little consideration to how valid this actually is. A large amount of the time people's self-interest becomes so wrapped up in their abilities at these games that they become delusional, they can no longer understand how they could be beaten and in their arrogance they call foul.

    Of course many complaints are legitimate, but just as in real life the legitimate complaints are always drowned out by the delusional ones.

    I also loved video games in my childhood because it was a way for me to get away from the world, I could go online and play with those who could be considered similar to myself. On the fringe. But now gaming has suddenly gained in popularity and now the world wants in on it.

    This just pushes me out. Im sure there are plenty of issues with this decision and in fact my current rage makes my point far less articulately than I would like, (not to mention I try not to act on intense emotions because of the inaccuracy that is bound to be ripe within anything created by it), but Single player is mine, it's no one elses. No one else is dictating how I should or ought to play, no one is sitting there over my shoulder and balancing the game 'for the good of the community' or so they claim.

    It's the purest example of selfish individuals using the group as their excuse.

    So what are your reasons and why?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  2. #2
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Simple question: Do people prefer Single or Multiplayer games?

    When I was younger I used to love multiplayer, the competitive side, the engaging with others from all over the world and being pitted against each other in an arena of skill.

    However, as I got older I started to see how pointless multiplayer was for myself. All it ever did was frustrate and anger me, it made me arrogant and ignorant and I despised myself more and more the further I got into it. There are many different genre's of game, of course, but I played lots of different ones.

    However the same problem would arise, I would look for something I could make unique to myself, some play style or build or even just my actions in game, eventually however it would always be rendered moot, useless or copied.

    And then I realised that it is all about efficiency, effectiveness and what the end product can produce. People abuse and abuse until they get the most powerful or effective methods worked out....then once they have been nerfed due to imbalances, they then move onto the next....and the next...and so on.

    This frustrates and irritates me in the extreme, there is very little in the way of freedom or individuality in multiplayer games. It's generally all built up around group conceptions. If the majority claims something is overpowered....it is overpowered with little consideration to how valid this actually is. A large amount of the time people's self-interest becomes so wrapped up in their abilities at these games that they become delusional, they can no longer understand how they could be beaten and in their arrogance they call foul.

    Of course many complaints are legitimate, but just as in real life the legitimate complaints are always drowned out by the delusional ones.

    I also loved video games in my childhood because it was a way for me to get away from the world, I could go online and play with those who could be considered similar to myself. On the fringe. But now gaming has suddenly gained in popularity and now the world wants in on it.

    This just pushes me out. Im sure there are plenty of issues with this decision and in fact my current rage makes my point far less articulately than I would like, (not to mention I try not to act on intense emotions because of the inaccuracy that is bound to be ripe within anything created by it), but Single player is mine, it's no one elses. No one else is dictating how I should or ought to play, no one is sitting there over my shoulder and balancing the game 'for the good of the community' or so they claim.

    It's the purest example of selfish individuals using the group as their excuse.

    So what are your reasons and why?
    I always play single player for two reasons. The first is the bolded above. The second is that I suck at video games so I know I'd lose big time if I did multiplayer. It just makes me feel more inadequate.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  3. #3
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I always play single player for two reasons. The first is the bolded above. The second is that I suck at video games so I know I'd lose big time if I did multiplayer. It just makes me feel more inadequate.
    I wish I had been able to see this myself when I was much younger, would have saved me a lot of money, wasted time and effort.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  4. #4
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Mostly multiplayer (But there's been a few single player games I've really enjoyed. But those are rare. (Arcanum/Dragon Age: Origins, not counting old dos games.)

    Single player games don't keep me interested for very long.

    At the moment I'm fragging in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. I really needed a mindless game for a change, it's pretty nice.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  5. #5
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    I like multi when there's room for skill to make up for an otherwise tight method base (Quake 3, TF2 to some extent)

    Quake 3 is especially good since they have officially endorsed strafe jumping (the Quake Live version even has a tutorial course on how to do it) and being good at that as well as trick jumps etc allows variance in play styles and can make it anyone's game - camping the rail gun for example is no longer efficient because the opponent will run circles around you and pick at you with rockets until you have no armor and are forced to leave, and then they might get there faster than you.

  6. #6
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I like single player and co-op (vs AI) games more or less equally, depending on my mood, since they're very different experiences. Single player is more about the actual game and co-op is about the social experience since those tend to be very easy.

    I'll play competing multiplayer games too if the game is fun but I don't tend to like them as much. It can be fun if it's team vs team, though, or non-interacting games that are really just parallel single games (ex: tower defense and similar)

    I just bought starcraft 2 this week since it was on sale for 20$, just to play the custom games. I don't like the actual game. It's too stressful to me - I don't like that degree of multitasking/churning out rapid actions.
    -end of thread-

  7. #7
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    UT99 GOTY/2k4/2k7, Q3RA/XcessiveMod FTW.
    CSS even.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  8. #8
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I like multi when there's room for skill to make up for an otherwise tight method base (Quake 3, TF2 to some extent)

    Quake 3 is especially good since they have officially endorsed strafe jumping (the Quake Live version even has a tutorial course on how to do it) and being good at that as well as trick jumps etc allows variance in play styles and can make it anyone's game - camping the rail gun for example is no longer efficient because the opponent will run circles around you and pick at you with rockets until you have no armor and are forced to leave, and then they might get there faster than you.
    Strafe Jumping.

    I never played Quake 3, but it sure brings back memories of Action Quake 2. Jumping from one side to the other with a quadruple strafejump in Urban 3, pew pew, Your team Won!

    I actually quite like COD: Black Ops 2, because like AQ2 it is quite fast paced. Not something you see in most FPS multiplayers.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  9. #9
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Strafe Jumping.

    I never played Quake 3, but it sure brings back memories of Action Quake 2. Jumping from one side to the other with a quadruple strafejump in Urban 3, pew pew, Your team Won!

    I actually quite like COD: Black Ops 2, because like AQ2 it is quite fast paced. Not something you see in most FPS multiplayers.
    Yeah. It bugs me how the modern FPS tries to go all realistic and limit your actions. Yeah, that's great if your'e going for the immersive experience of playing a soldier in a fight, you're not going to be rocket jumping or flying around or flick shooting in real life. It also kind of levels the playing field in some way, but takes away the room to truly excel competitively. You're effectively weighted down by imposed limitations.


  10. #10
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    It depends on the game really. Some games have a very good single player part so I enjoy them a lot. Some games have a very good multiplayer part so I enjoy them a lot.

    A lot of the good old games had only a single player mode or only a very rudimentary multiplayer mode (which no one plays anymore in most cases) so those are mostly the games I still play on single player. Newer games have only rarely a good, long, replayable single player mode (the remake XCOM Enemy Unknown is a good exception for example). Nowadays it is often happening that you have games which offer you a very short single player which is kept very simple and the main part of the game is just the multiplayer mode. Dawn of War 2, especially Chaos Rising and Retribution, is a good example for that.

    The thing is a good multiplayer game gets me stuck to it for a longer time in row than a single player game, because the different enemies and the community keeps you motivated for a long time. I played Dawn of War 2 in multiplayer for a few years for example. On the other hand, I probably didn't play the original single player game X-COM for that long without a break, but it is a game that I returned to every now and then and might still return to in 5 or 10 years. Dawn of War 2 I will not return to in the future anymore for sure, because the community will be dead (is already nearly).

Similar Threads

  1. Angry Video Nerd Vs Happy Video Game Nerd
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 11:35 AM
  2. Galactic Super Civilizations Yahweh Vs. Lucifer Existential Game
    By RaptorWizard in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 285
    Last Post: 06-27-2016, 06:24 AM
  3. Battle Royale vs. The Hunger Games
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
  4. MBTI vs the MBTI Step II test
    By Totenkindly in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO