User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I never could get good at RTS games.

I'm fine when I only have myself to manage as in an FPS, there's people I can't win against but I'll at least get frags which can be annoying in Quake Live because it throws me into the top tier where the pros are which makes me like a little fish and then I get kicked back down and kill everybody and get thrown back up to top tier in like three matches. But in an RTS I'm like 'NOOOOO you're killin my dudes! Go away!" :<

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I very much prefer single player and co-op games, however, competitive multiplayer is definitely a lot more fun with friends, even if they are just people you meet in the game and add them to your friends list.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

i love multiplayer games. its more of a challenge dealing with other player, that human element is fun to work against. i usually choose a central role where i can help the other players shine, something where there is a lot of coordinating and mobilizing the group or team in execution of a task.

i love psychological games you can play in games.

im also good about creating harmony in a group, to get the job done

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    i love multiplayer games. its more of a challenge dealing with other player, that human element is fun to work against. i usually choose a central role where i can help the other players shine, something where there is a lot of coordinating and mobilizing the group or team in execution of a task.

i love psychological games you can play in games.

im also good about creating harmony in a group, to get the job done
    That's why I like to play medic or pyro in TF2. A good medic can make a good team into a juggernaut. Even though the medic means that one person doesn't fight as effectively, it can make other people on the team many times more effective which makes up for that.

The pyro on the other hand is counter to that. As a pyro my main goal is to mess up the medics ubercharge most of the time. You can't kill the invulnerable opponent but they are still effected by the air blasts and you can knock them out of range of the charge and then harass the medic and cause confusion.

garbage

When given the option, multiplayer. I tend to like the fact that I'm doing something with friends, but I also like some games for their own sake.

I also don't tend to like playing against a bunch of strangers in multiplayer games; it's more enjoyable with friends. Perhaps because there's less focus on the game itself and more on the experience?

I like co-op games, or at least competitive multiplayer games with a handicapping feature. It's boring to win all the time and frustrating to lose all the time, and I often play games that not everyone is familiar with--or that, sometimes, I'm not familiar with.

--

One frustrating experience was with Tribes: Ascend. Good game that I was playing with a bunch of friends and with strangers, but once I played a few games I got enough "experience points" (or whatever) that I was locked out of the 'newbie' servers and had to play with the bigwigs--well before I was 'ready.' I liked the more casual experience, so it wasn't fun at all after that.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

For immersive gaming, I prefer single player. For simple kick-your-feet-back-and-have-some-empty-fun, I go online.

It truly depends on the game. For instance: I recently bought the God of War saga for the PS3 and I remember how entertaining a well-developed single player campaign can be. They don't make "single player" games like God of War III anymore--now the focus is online competitive play (which is a shame, in a way).

Which brings me to my next point: The majority of modern games invest in online multiplayer and neglect the single player element. It is there, but they shamelessly push the MULTIPLAYER!!! Microsoft is especially guilty of this. Online can be fun but it is limited. I also don't like pitting myself against a bunch of xenophobic, sexist, racist children who talk smack into their little microphones. A community element is something that has been lacking in video games since the death of the arcade, but now that we have it this is what it has been reduced to. Or "MLG" players who take getting the high score as serious as a heartattack. Kick these people in the face.

I also don't like to have to download giant gigs of updates and patches and "DLC" map packs that take hours (even days) to download. Sometimes it will even corrupt the data of the console. I'm currently having this problem with Battlefield 3--I recently purchased that one to play online exclusively (the campaign is crap) and have spent the past five days downloading all of the above. And come to find out that I can't even play it online as the recent 2 gb patch times out and creates errors with my PS3 data.

Lame-sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post

I'm fine when I only have myself to manage as in an FPS, there's people I can't win against but I'll at least get frags which can be annoying in Quake Live because it throws me into the top tier where the pros are which makes me like a little fish and then I get kicked back down and kill everybody and get thrown back up to top tier in like three matches. But in an RTS I'm like 'NOOOOO you're killin my dudes! Go away!" :<
    Try C&C series to leverage the gap [tho 4th is more akin to FPs, with less base micro].
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Try C&C series to leverage the gap [tho 4th is more akin to FPs, with less base micro].
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Yeah, Red Alert was one of the few ones I was half decent at. I had a pretty good tech rush to tanks and would even pull off a rifle rush against slower players just to be sarcastic.

Teching in that game isn't as hard though because most stuff isn't used so you don't have to build most of it, it's just getting to tanks first and spamming with maybe some harvester destruction on the side to keep them behind on econ.

Yeah, Red Alert was one of the few ones I was half decent at. I had a pretty good tech rush to tanks and would even pull off a rifle rush against slower players just to be sarcastic.

Teching in that game isn't as hard though because most stuff isn't used so you don't have to build most of it, it's just getting to tanks first and spamming with maybe some harvester destruction on the side to keep them behind on econ.
    Pwn4g3
    ~ Elbert Hubbard