123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Zero Dark Thirty

To be honest, I wasn't expect much from this movie, so I'm kind of shocked to see the kind of reviews it has been getting (extremely EXTREMELY positive and referring to it as an Oscar contender based on its unflinching, non-candy-coated approach).

For example:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...223435476.html

...director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal don't shy away from depicting the "enhanced interrogation" techniques like waterboarding that were used along the way. "The new movie is not for the faint of heart or for those expecting typical Hollywood fare," is how The New York Times put it. And it's not just for the clear-eyed depiction of torture, but also what The Hollywood Reporter describes as "its denial of conventional emotionalism and non-gung ho approach to cathartic revenge-taking."...

...director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal don't shy away from depicting the "enhanced interrogation" techniques like waterboarding that were used along the way. "The new movie is not for the faint of heart or for those expecting typical Hollywood fare," is how The New York Times put it. And it's not just for the clear-eyed depiction of torture, but also what The Hollywood Reporter describes as "its denial of conventional emotionalism and non-gung ho approach to cathartic revenge-taking."
    Bigelow originally was with James Cameron, and she shot Strange Days off her ex-husband's script (which I considered a decent gritty scifi movie, with Ralph Fiennes playing a non-admirable character and the gutsy Angela Bassett). She's been doing films for years and apparently scored big with The Hurt Locker recently (which I hope to see at some point).

Considering we know how it ends, it's hard sometimes to make that kind of movie work; but as with Argo (which also lived up to hype), apparently the initial rave about this film is pretty intense.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Saw the trailer for this a couple times. Don't know how I feel about it. Part of me just thinks "certain things shouldn't be movies" but I don't know why. Or at least give it some time.

But I like that Andy from parks and Rex is in it. Don't think I'll see it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Kathryn Bigelow is not bad for a woman director, usually when a woman directs a movie like this it turns out to be some sappy Lifetime movie-of-the-week with the film's major selling point being but a footnote (just look at Deep Impact and then look at how Armageddon, which came out a few months later, got the idea right). But frankly, I lost interest in this movie when the trailer was constantly shown at every single movie I've been to ever since ZDT was on the map. I don't have any interest in it not because I know how it ends -- we know how lots of movies end but what's interesting is how it gets that way...most of the time when I read a book, I start at the end of the story for the same reason.

And I don't buy the NYT's (or any critic for that matter) assessment about the "clear-eyed depiction of torture." Whenever stuff like that is espoused in a critic's darling, it ends up not being the kind of thing you'd see in a movie like Saw or Hostel. When ever the critics talk about "torture" in a "violent" movie they love, the only torture I experience is how insufferably boring the movie is.

Might wait for this one to show up at Redbox, though.
    Last edited by The Ü™; 11-26-2012 at 12:34 PM.

MBTI
    ISTx

Looking forward to this very much.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I'm going to see this when it comes out. I am a fan of Bigelow as a director--every one of her movies is fascinating in its own way. I'm also interested in watching how they approach this story and where they go with it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Currently 100% at Rotten Tomatoes...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Currently 100% at Rotten Tomatoes...
    Yeah, it's been making the top ten lists of (it seems) every notable critic group releasing awards nowadays.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Oh man, I am SOOO excited and anxious to see this. Not so much for Bigelow but I'm excited about seeing the SEALs and the featured female CIA analyst who was behind it all. Been counting down the days for a month. I can't wait!!!!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I also want to add that, even though I'm nosey and want to see it, I ultimately feel that this movie should NOT have been made. There has been too much talk and media press about the SEALs. All this attention is putting their lives in danger. I wish all the attention would die down and quick.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Stoked to see it.

I'll be interested to see her depiction of water boarding.

I've heard it's stupidly effective given the amount of permanent damage inflicted relative to other forms of torture.