• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zero Dark Thirty

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw it. It was graphic and gripping and Mya was AMAZING! (that's all I'm saying).

333sj.jpg

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
All you're saying. Pfft.

How was the SEAL team compound raid at the end?
It was the scene to beat last year, from what I've read.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All you're saying. Pfft.

IT WAS GRAPHIC AND AWESOME! You should know that it was only the last 30 mins of the movie though. Most of the movie was focused on everything that led up to that.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All you're saying. Pfft.

IT WAS GRAPHIC AND AWESOME! I don't want to tell you more. :p

I probably will see the movie again because I had to sit in the 2nd row when I saw it because the theater was almost full when we got there.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
IT WAS GRAPHIC AND AWESOME! You should know that it was only the last 30 mins of the movie though. Most of the movie was focused on everything that led up to that.

I'm aware ZDT isn't "SEAL Team Six: Shameless Jingoism" and this is what intrigues me the most.
I love Spy stories and the Osama Bin Laden case is pretty much the pinnacle of such.

Au contraire, mon frere! You can find it now, if you know what I mean.

It comes out on Friday. I didn't even think about that until you said something.
Way to go. Be a bit more concise next time, would ya?

Geez.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm aware ZDT isn't "SEAL Team Six: Shameless Jingoism" and this is what intrigues me the most.
I love Spy stories and the Osama Bin Laden case is pretty much the pinnacle of such.

Meeee too... especially real life ones.

It comes out on Friday. I didn't even think about that until you said something.
Way to go. Be a bit more concise next time, would ya?

I actually did think about that a while ago when I was feeling all anxious, but I wanted to wait and see it on the big screen.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Just saw it. Good movie.
Wasn't as good as the hype would have you believe, however.

The final 45 minutes are the best on screen this year (er, last year).

It better not lose BP to the Hugh Jackman (non-Wolverine) musical.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw it. Good movie.
Wasn't as good as the hype would have you believe, however.

The final 45 minutes are the best on screen this year (er, last year).

It better not lose BP to the Hugh Jackman (non-Wolverine) musical.

That would be rather pathetic. If I had heard only good things about Les Mis, that would be one thing; but basically it seems to be a movie where what you bring to it contributes to your opinion of it. Objectively, I've heard that Crowe can't sing worth crap, Jackman and Hathaway carry their parts fine, 80% of the movie is close-ups of people's faces because the director can't figure out how to frame a normal shot, and almost everyone in the show is trying way too hard, as if their lives depended on winning an Academy Award.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The least willing suspension of disbelief I've experienced of any movie I've seen thus far.

Excellent.

It got snubbed at the Oscars.

Accuracy was astounding... especially the follow up kill shots after the targets hit the floor.

Hollywood always glosses over that.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The least willing suspension of disbelief I've experienced of any movie I've seen thus far.

Excellent.

It got snubbed at the Oscars.

Accuracy was astounding... especially the follow up kill shots after the targets hit the floor.

Hollywood always glosses over that.
Were the shots silenced?! I didn't notice any silencers on their weapons. Could have utilized sub-sonic ammo I suppose..or edited the scene.

Edit: Zero Dark Thirty is more close to home than you might know. I just learned from a buddy of mine that two of his friends were both seals on that mission and later died in a subsequent mission when their chopper went down.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes. The rifles were suppressed (as they were in RL, too).
I'm surprised you didn't notice when they capped that fool entering the first building.

Edited to include: Should I place spoiler tags over that?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The "torture" the film depicts is rather tame compared to what I expected.

It didn't seem like the film took a stance one way or the other as far as torture was concerned.

I think Hollywood was pissed not because the film was pro torture, but because the film took no stance, and wasn't anti torture.

That runs against the Hollywood narrative. And they, as the Oscar snub and torture histrionics show, pisses them right the fuck off.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The "torture" the film depicts is rather tame compared to what I expected.

It didn't seem like the film took a stance one way or the other as far as torture was concerned.

I think Hollywood was pissed not because the film was pro torture, but because the film took no stance, and wasn't anti torture.

It didn't really help that a few senators openly criticized the movie's accuracy, and the Oscarlites wanted to avoid controversy.

I guess Affleck getting criticized by a few Canadians for downplaying Canadian involvement enough in his movie that he changed his end narrative blurbs wasn't a big deal in comparison.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It didn't really help that a few senators openly criticized the movie's accuracy, and the Oscarlites wanted to avoid controversy.

I guess Affleck getting criticized by a few Canadians for downplaying Canadian involvement enough in his movie that he changed his end narrative blurbs wasn't a big deal in comparison.

Argo was also a circle jerk film for Hollywood.

The movie industry comes to the rescue and save's the CIA agents bacon in the end (the phone call to the fake office at the end).

Argo feeds into the positive self image hollywood has of itself.

Zero Dark Thirty, wasn't anti hollywood, but it was not a movie in the traditional sense.

It wasn't meant as entertainment, which the relatively high proportion of negative viewer (as opposed to critic) reviews reflects.

This movie was instructive not entertaining. And it didn't have an agenda that was more important than factual accuracy.

Kathryn Bigelow let facts get in the way of telling a more entertaining story, whereas hollywood usually lets the entertainment value play first violin.

Taking that creative license, let's hollywood paint the picture in a way that most conforms to their preconceived agenda.

Zero Dark Thirty angers hollywood not because it's anti hollywood, but because it ignores hollywood which is worse in their eyes.

If the film was anti hollywood, that would at least give them the satisfaction of being important (read relevant) enough to be opposed.

By being ignored Bigelow is telling hollywood that they have nothing substantive to contribute to the tale in the first place, and should probably stick to Michael Bay explosion time films, while big girls and boys like Bigelow tell the important stories.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the whole thing, but it would not surprise me if that was a rough approximation of the way things played out.

EDIT - Zero only pulled one Oscar for sound editing.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This movie was instructive not entertaining. And it didn't have an agenda that was more important than factual accuracy.

Kathryn Bigelow let facts get in the way of telling a more entertaining story, whereas hollywood usually lets the entertainment value play first violin.

Taking that creative license, let's hollywood paint the picture in a way that most conforms to their preconceived agenda.

Zero Dark Thirty angers hollywood not because it's anti hollywood, but because it ignores hollywood which is worse in their eyes.

If the film was anti hollywood, that would at least give them the satisfaction of being important (read relevant) enough to be opposed.

Hah, nice explanation.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely plan to. I'm not a big moviegoer but this one seems important.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Argo was also a circle jerk film for Hollywood.
Well, aside from Affleck getting stiffed for a Director's Oscar.

I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty yet, although I've read a great deal about it.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Argo; it's well-crafted and manages to be darkly funny and very serious simultaneously. Acting was great, and the film was well-edited.

However, the "facts" are very much embellished for dramatic purposes, so it walks that bizarre line between looking true to the details (due to how it was shot and the fake footage that so well matches the real footage of events in Iran at the time, including the appearances of the leads) and really being a creative retelling of the actual events.

So it's a fake movie about a fake movie. How does that bake everyone's noodle?

The movie industry comes to the rescue and save's the CIA agents bacon in the end (the phone call to the fake office at the end).

That's probably reading too much; they were involved, but there were many other spots were people had to come through or the plan in the movie would have failed.

Argo feeds into the positive self image hollywood has of itself.

That's plausible.

Well, she's never really stayed in the pen. I was kind of surprised Strange Days hasn't gotten more play, but I guess a story about two white cops capping a mouthy black rapper, triggering race riots, wasn't something a lot of people wanted to promote. At least she and Angie Bassett got Saturn Awards out of it; Ralph Fiennes was deserving as well. She did get something out of The Hurt Locker, but I haven't seen that yet.

EDIT - Zero only pulled one Oscar for sound editing.

I guess my thought was that there was a LOT of buzz -- until McCain and others opened their mouth and made a huge stink. In late Nov and most of December, Zero had ALL the buzz and seemed a shoe-in for Best Picture. But things changed once all the criticism of the torture portrayals came out.