User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Default Geoff's pictures, in Hot Water

So, I'll be hoping to take some good photos over the next week or so, while I am away.

In the meantime here's a few old ones I haven't posted here before...for your delight or disgust... your choice!

The old favourite of mine, Yellowstone. Yes, one or two of them were on a Yellowstone thread at INTPC - apologies to any who have seen them before, but it is a new audience here /photowhore.

As always, comments and criticisms encouraged.

-Geoff

MBTI
    INXP

The next three are all bacterial mats at Grand Prismatic Spring, in Yellowstone. It is an unearthly place.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Comments re: picture 1

I LOVE that picture. The color contrasts are so vivid. Also the blue and orange-brown are basically complimentary colors which adds to the intensity. The soft whiteness of the clouds contrasts sharply with the black jagged lines of the tree. It is a powerful expression of opposites. To me there is also an expressive contrast of hope and desolation. Very powerful image.

You are an awesome photographer. I don't always comment, but will mention now that your pictures are always really inspiring and appreciated.

Yellowstone is close to where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. I lived straight south of there.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

When did you go to Sulphurstone (Yellowstone)?

I love Yellowstone. I should dig up my old digitals of the place and scan my film ones. The place is so photogenic that you practically just need to point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Yellowstone is close to where I spent a good chunk of my childhood. I lived straight south of there.
    Jackson? One of the smaller towns? Please don't say somewhere in eastern Utah.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    When did you go to Sulphurstone (Yellowstone)?

I love Yellowstone. I should dig up my old digitals of the place and scan my film ones. The place is so photogenic that you practically just need to point and shoot.
    Err. thanks! That's exactly what I did, just point and shoot It was late 2004 I think.

Comments re: picture 1

I LOVE that picture. The color contrasts are so vivid. Also the blue and orange-brown are basically complimentary colors which adds to the intensity. The soft whiteness of the clouds contrasts sharply with the black jagged lines of the tree. It is a powerful expression of opposites. To me there is also an expressive contrast of hope and desolation. Very powerful image.

You are an awesome photographer. I don't always comment, but will mention now that your pictures are always really inspiring and appreciated.

How about here? This is due south, I love Grand Teton! I think I took this one at Oxbow bend? I'd settle for growing up in a quiet cabin close to this spot (where I also saw a moose, too )

-Geoff

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    How about here? This is due south, I love Grand Teton! I think I took this one at Oxbow bend? I'd settle for growing up in a quiet cabin close to this spot (where I also saw a moose, too )
    (Jaw hits floor)

That can't be real.

It's positively gorgeous. More than I could have ever imagined.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Jackson? One of the smaller towns? Please don't say somewhere in eastern Utah.
    I lived in a small Utah town for a few months until we could rent a place in Evanston. Wyoming is awesome except for the people. Sorry, had to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Gorgeous! I have seen those irl. My sister describes the Tetons as a pack of wolves guarding the horizon.

Sometimes a Moose would wander into town. Over the years I lived there, perhaps half a dozen did.
    (from Blue Velvet)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I lived in a small Utah town for a few months until we could rent a place in Evanston. Wyoming is awesome except for the people. Sorry, had to be said.
    Utah has worse people... Evanston is hardly Wyoming, it's merely a crossroad of the inter-mountain west. You get freaky weird people there all the time, whereas in the small towns the people are great. Cheyenne is also a cesspool, as are all the boom towns (e.x. Rock Springs) and the major highway crossroad point towns (which scrape some people off while they go through, and usually not the good ones).

Sometimes a Moose would wander into town. Over the years I lived there, perhaps half a dozen did.
    They don't usually live that far south. Aside from a herd of them in one of the canyons in the mountains above SLC, Yellowstone is generally the southernmost point you can see a moose.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

They don't usually live that far south. Aside from a herd of them in one of the canyons in the mountains above SLC, Yellowstone is generally the southernmost point you can see a moose.
    But I DID! I DID! See a moose!!

Don't know what to tell ya because they were there. There was a small forest by the school where my mother taught and a cow with her baby lived there for a while. I also saw a large male moose in someone's yard when I was a kid there. There were a couple of other instances. That was back in the 1980's if that makes a difference.
    (from Blue Velvet)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

But I DID! I DID! See a moose!!
    I'm sure you did. In the 80s they sometimes wandered into SLC, even, and would get themselves into parking garages and sometimes malls (automatic doors). They don't usually come as far south anymore, and they certainly don't there, because they don't tend to live so far south.

Don't know what to tell ya because they were there. There was a small forest by the school where my mother taught and a cow with her baby lived there for a while. I also saw a large male moose in someone's yard when I was a kid there. There were a couple of other instances. That was back in the 1980's if that makes a difference.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some lived along the river there in Evanston...before they cut down most of the trees.