User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A song of ice and fire by G.R.R. Martin

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    oh yeah that would suck.
    Yep. He's getting older and is obviously overweight. It makes a person nervous.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

It didn't grip me, I started to skip characters I had little interest in and focused (at first) on Arya mainly. But then that story went all the way to "What the f...?" as well and I couldn't bother anymore. :P

Okay, I did read further. He has this knack of compelling you to read further. I wish I had the same, so I could tell my stories in a better way!

I'm now three-quarters through the first book. And I've got a double feeling. I'm bored to death AND I can't put it down. Frustrating.
    He keeps me up with promises of "it will get better": the undead-thingies in the prologue, dragon skeletons and old, but eerily warm dragon eggs, budding heroes in the first chapter - I want those heroes and undead and dragons and adventures! So I've kept up and read 400+ pages of medieval history, geography, politics, intrigue, fashion and gastronomy. I almost missed the one page fight with the undead, because I was skipping parts.
    The worst thing is that I tend to remember everything I read, except names. So while I'm thinking "Tyrion, who the hell is Tyrion again? The dwarf? Oh no, it doesn't say Tyrion, it says Tywin. Who is THAT???", I remember the backstories of the guards who were killed in the prologue. My whole memory is now cluttered with histories as boring as the real ones, but I can't even use them to score brownie points with my history buff husband and father-in-law. Where are those dragons Martin keeps on promising? Book eight?

I'm playing with the idea to get a set of markers and mark the good parts, the parts which make me want to read further. Maybe this way I can learn something.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

9w1 sp/so

I've read all five books and I have the first season of the tv series on blu-ray; I love them all and have had no trouble keeping track of everything.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

His books are often painful for me to get through because his actual writing is really, really boring (to me). Books 4 and 5 were especially dry.

But, his characters are wonderful (especially because they aren't always wonderful) and the plot is constantly surprising me. I want to see what happens. I liked the first season of the TV series more than the books because they kept all the interesting things without his writing involved. (and filmed very very well).

Oddly, I've enjoyed some of his other stories, but hated others. He seems to be hit or miss for me, I guess depending mostly on whether he makes me care about the characters and the plot is interesting.

edit: I also really love the alternating perspectives, although it was insanely confusing for the first book or two. The TV series might have helped with that by giving a face to the name (I re-read book 1 and read the rest of the series only after seeing the TV show, since the first book was ok but not exciting enough on its own to make me read the rest). I liked books 2 and 3 a lot more than the first one.

edit2: I also really love that it's fantasy, but not like, dragons splattered everywhere.
    -end of thread-