Thread: NaNoWriMo 2012!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Default NaNoWriMo 2012!

Yes, the day we have been afraid of waited for for so long has finally come! (At least in Europe. Yay!)

Since a 0.02 second search has revealed that no thread has been started yet about this year's National Novel Writing Month, I thought I'd go ahead here.

So this is where you go!

Post your novel ideas, novel samples, find NaNoWriMo friends, etc. etc. Most importantly, get inspiration, bitch to your fellow aspiring writers about how hard it is, share your enthusiasm, or get your ass slapped if you didn't reach that magical 1,667 words per day limit, have been slacking off, think that you're novel is bad, or still cling to the naive idea that stop writing on your novel is something you can actually do.

There are already a number of people on this forum who have created accounts on the NaNoWriMo website.

So here's to you, join the fun and the insanity!
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Anew Leaf

I knew this would happen.

My childish enthusiasm last week when I cheerfully added you all to my buddy list on there... would quickly be eclipsed by the sheer terror of actually doing something about it. I certainly hope that when I upload my words, that no one else can read it, or my secret writing style will come out.

"She walked into the room. [Research what rooms can look like in urban cities that I have never been to before. Maybe we should think about how to decorate her apartment here. What is her backstory? Does she travel? Has she been to India before? Oooh, what part of India should she visit? We liked the Taj Mahal!! Agra it is... I should research more information on Wikipedia about how they built that. Maybe I can incorporate it as a theme into my story. Wait, what is my story about again? All I have is her walking into a room.] A glass of lemonade was sitting on the counter with beads of dew collecting on its clear walls as if some fairy from the night had placed infinite kisses upon each moment of surface."

I can see the reviews coming in now:

"If you are looking for a book to complete your life, you have now found it." - Oprah

"At first I was all like, wow, and then I was like WOW!" - a magazine about stuff

"The part where the Taj Mahal ties everything together into a beautiful package knocked my socks off." - A random snake.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I can see the nightmarish reviews about my work already:

• "If only this book was edible, it would have SOME redemptive value... in the same way that eating an entire box of Trix for dinner provides positive nourishment. (Well, of course, only if you eat the cardboard as well as the contents.)"
    • "Inadvertently unites the savage opponents of this season's political campaigns against a common enemy. Let the heckling commence."
    • "Leaves Cloud Atlas looking like a mean, keen, excessively edited, tightly focused narrative. Cutting word count in half by crossing every other one out wouldn't change the quality of the work."
    • "The kind of book that turns painting by numbers into rocket science in comparison."

Blarg.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Ladies, ladies, if you invested half the energy and creativity you use to beat yourself up in the novel you're set for a bestseller

That being said, maybe forcing myself to come up with a complex but plausible misunderstanding in the very first chapter on which the hole plot depends wasn't such a good idea after all *goes back to Wikipedia to research some more on the life and adventures of Rembrandt because one of his paitings will appear in the story later on*
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Did you guys have any "dares" from your regional state chapter?

Here in the Maryland/Baltimore group, we voted on two dares. I missed the voting for the first but did vote on the second.

Our dares are as follows:

1. Use "1812" in your novel.
    2. Use the names of the 5 British bomb vessels of the Battle of Baltimore -- Terror, Volcano, Meteor, Devastation, and Aetna. Bonus points for the British rocket vessel: Erebus.

This should be a piece of cake. And I voted for this item for Dare 2 because I thought the answers were a little more creative and I could work them into my story more easily. I definitely can use Aetna and Erebus as names of characters in my story, and the rest are easy to slip into convos.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ladies, ladies, if you invested half the energy and creativity you use to beat yourself up in the novel you're set for a bestseller
    to be honest, my post was less an honest self-thrashing and more of a creative warm-up exercise for my soggy shameless brain.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay, I only logged 800 words yesterday. But considering I spent most of my time setting up my writing rather than actually writing, and I started late in the evening, that's not bad.

Tonight should be better.

Anew Leaf

I got about 1000 by sheer cheating. (I pulled snippets of stuff I wrote a couple years ago on my novel.)

Most of my "writing time" was wasted by me panicking when I realized that somehow I have lost my computer document of the novel I started many many years ago. Fortunately, I moonlight as someone trying to destroy all trees on the face of the earth, because I have about 20 copies of it printed in my basement. I started typing it up as penance for not being more organized... dear god. I am a terrible writer. I have 20 pages of third draft "polished" writing, and it's primarily a bunch of crap.

So my new plan is to take one of my writing prompt books (of which I have many) and grab an idea at random and start writing about it.

I am also changing my goal to be to just focus on trying to get some writing done each day, and not worry about this novel in a month goal. I am hugely unprepared as well as I am currently taking a class on...... writer's block. She wants us to start off with small goals. My zygote goal is to do something productive with my writing for 10 mins a day. I also have to spend 15 minutes being playful (I like to call it, how my day goes) and unproductive.

*has note from both doctor and teacher that it's ok for her to not meet the 50,000 word goal and is impressed with herself*

I'll also waste a bunch of time encouraging all of you to "shoot for the rainbows" and "bee happy." Or whatever.

The End.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I found out last night there is a contest ending on 12/31 for books with transgender characters. Authors nor plots have to be "trans" related, you just have to have at least one trans protagonist. The award is a publishing contract for hardback, softback, and e-book; $1000 advance; and $1000 for promotional activities.

But there is no way in hell I can crank out a 60,000 word book from scratch and edit the crap out of it and have it submitted by 12/31. That's two month. I don't even have an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am also changing my goal to be to just focus on trying to get some writing done each day, and not worry about this novel in a month goal. I am hugely unprepared as well as I am currently taking a class on...... writer's block. She wants us to start off with small goals. My zygote goal is to do something productive with my writing for 10 mins a day. I also have to spend 15 minutes being playful (I like to call it, how my day goes) and unproductive.

*has note from both doctor and teacher that it's ok for her to not meet the 50,000 word goal and is impressed with herself*
    *cries*

Oh saturned. At least you made it to Day #2.

(I shall double your success and make it to Day #4!)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I made it to 1227 words before going to bed on day 1. It is now 8:52pm of day 2 (in my time zone) and I have not yet written anything today, work got in the way (a translation of a Spanish medical report, beh!). However, the plot is slowly developing in my head. Let's see if I can catch up tonight and/or this weekend. I'm notoriously bad at going through with things and really want to see this one through for once. *sigh*
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I didn't get any writing done yesterday because I had to give a presentation this morning and had to pull an all-nighter to prepare it (at least it was about a sexy topic).

I was thought "this is going to be sooo great!!" before the actual official iron-fisted merciless start of NaNoWriMo. I really wanted to pull it off last year, but I fell ill for a whole week early in November, so there wasn't really a chance of finishing it.
    There are two things that keep my going right now: The idea that I'll have it printed and can actually hold a hardcopy of something I have written, and that I can always edit around once NaNoWriMo is over so I can consider my current project more of a mine of ideas for later novels compiled all into one text. So it's all neat and preliminary, nothing fixed, no obligations, oh well it's just a draft etc. etc. Kind of cheating myself. Also (okay, so there's actually three things that keep me going ... I'll come in again): - I really do like the idea for my novel. It's supposed to be a parody of Clancy-esque cold war thrillers and the like. A lot of people have recommended 'The Hunt for Red October', so I started it, but couldn't make it past the first 15 or so pages because I found it downright horrible. So that's where I decided to make it even worse, and tadaah, the idea for a novel was born. I think it's a lot easier for Ne-ers to create something new with material that's already available and make it your own, instead of completely starting something from scratch (I, for one, am bad at this, and it's a guarantee for writer's block).

I've been carrying a notebook with me (an actual dead-tree-edition) for the past couple of days so that I could write down anything that comes to mind while I'm going about my daily business. I'm sort of proud of myself because today I officially made it past the 1,000 words-mark. Yay me!

Keep posting!
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-