User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: NaNoWriMo 2012!

  1. #11
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Last two days were a dud. Besides it just being a lousy time for me (sick, still fixing my place, work is crazy, having to pick out all new insurance plans, dealing with my divorce, running the risk of financial bankruptcy, etc. -- things will be better in early 2013 for me!), I just didn't have a clear plot figured out along which to write. I needed some better prep, in order to produce more firmly.

    However, I am making myself write as I get time. I don't expect to finish a draft by November 30, but I do expect to have completed some work on a draft and be much further along than before.

    Once upon a time, I wanted to be a writer. And ten years ago, I was in a position where I was miserable and not really caring much about relationships, so a lot of my free time went into writing. I was also younger and more motivated to succeed. Then my entire life finally spiralled out of control and I couldn't accomplish anything realistically without taking care of myself first. That took the last five years of my life.

    Now I'm in a position where I'm trying to write without having to be motivated by pain, escapism, or personal ambition. So I'm searching for my motivation.

    I've finished one book (a church project, 35-40 daily lessons), and I finished a draft in 1996 with a friend for the first book in a fantasy series that we haven't been able to complete a second draft of. Which sucks badly, because it actually had a lot of potential. It's hard to write in tandem when you don't live near each other, and plot becomes convoluted. I find it sad. The characters were wonderful.

    And those moments of transcendence, where I'm writing and the scene is leaping out of my fingers and my heart is rising like a balloon caught on a strong wind being blown straight toward the glorious transcendence of the ruddy sun, are the moments i live for. I think though that in writing (and in all of life, from what I've experienced), there is a lot of drudge work that you have to agree to in order to grab those moments of inspirational bliss. I've been thinking about it the last day, and it is JUST the way it is -- every relationship has its woodshedding and misery, every job has its detailed boring crap to get done in order to produce whatever it is that you are producing. Athletes suffer pain and deprive themselves in order to win a race. There is just a lot of blood, dirt, tears, and sweat involved so that you get those few moments of mountaintop experience.

    And writing is no different. It's giving me a better perspective -- the drudge IS drudge, but if I do it, I'll eventually get to a good place, each time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  2. #12
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Last two days were a dud. Besides it just being a lousy time for me (sick, still fixing my place, work is crazy, having to pick out all new insurance plans, dealing with my divorce, running the risk of financial bankruptcy, etc. -- things will be better in early 2013 for me!), I just didn't have a clear plot figured out along which to write. I needed some better prep, in order to produce more firmly.

    However, I am making myself write as I get time. I don't expect to finish a draft by November 30, but I do expect to have completed some work on a draft and be much further along than before.

    Once upon a time, I wanted to be a writer. And ten years ago, I was in a position where I was miserable and not really caring much about relationships, so a lot of my free time went into writing. I was also younger and more motivated to succeed. Then my entire life finally spiralled out of control and I couldn't accomplish anything realistically without taking care of myself first. That took the last five years of my life.

    Now I'm in a position where I'm trying to write without having to be motivated by pain, escapism, or personal ambition. So I'm searching for my motivation.

    I've finished one book (a church project, 35-40 daily lessons), and I finished a draft in 1996 with a friend for the first book in a fantasy series that we haven't been able to complete a second draft of. Which sucks badly, because it actually had a lot of potential. It's hard to write in tandem when you don't live near each other, and plot becomes convoluted. I find it sad. The characters were wonderful.

    And those moments of transcendence, where I'm writing and the scene is leaping out of my fingers and my heart is rising like a balloon caught on a strong wind being blown straight toward the glorious transcendence of the ruddy sun, are the moments i live for. I think though that in writing (and in all of life, from what I've experienced), there is a lot of drudge work that you have to agree to in order to grab those moments of inspirational bliss. I've been thinking about it the last day, and it is JUST the way it is -- every relationship has its woodshedding and misery, every job has its detailed boring crap to get done in order to produce whatever it is that you are producing. Athletes suffer pain and deprive themselves in order to win a race. There is just a lot of blood, dirt, tears, and sweat involved so that you get those few moments of mountaintop experience.

    And writing is no different. It's giving me a better perspective -- the drudge IS drudge, but if I do it, I'll eventually get to a good place, each time.
    I am taking writing class right now on writer's block. She has been talking about the different types of writer's block and how to combat them. She also talks a lot about developing three key habits.

    1- Process: spend 15-30 min at least 5 days a week doing something silly with no purpose other than it gives you joy. You can draw, dance, sing to music, make collages, etc. Anything where the purpose is doing the action not making a result.
    2- Self-Care: Making sure to get enough sleep, exercise, eating well, meditation, etc.
    3- Product: Spend 5-30 min at least 5 days a week working on your writing project. Can be brainstorming, researching ideas, writing to a prompt, working on the ms... Anything that will further your writing to a final result.

    So with all of the cray cray cray cray cray going on in your life, I suggest you focus on trying to snatch up 5-10 min a day on your real writing. If you feel inspired beyond that, awesome! If you slog through each second in painful agony, then at least you put some effort into it.

    If the four of us (and perhaps more people will too) are serious about working on writing, then maybe we start a writing group on here to support each other in the small moments.

  3. #13
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    I am currently at 2628, i.e. way behind the planned word count, but at least I get some writing done every day. Hopefully the story will pick up sme speed as the plot advances.

    Tonight would be perfect for writing, as I'm going to stay up and watch the US elections anyway, but unfortunately I also have to translate some texts for a pharmaceutical company. Meh!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #14
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I am currently at 2628, i.e. way behind the planned word count, but at least I get some writing done every day. Hopefully the story will pick up sme speed as the plot advances.
    Woo hoo! Good for you!

    I'll see if I make any progress tonight.

    I find writing in the early stages to be a pain. It's because my personality is reactive and observing, and I need raw data in which to see patterns.

    So at first I'm just flinging poo at the walls to get a bunch of poo out there, and then I suddenly start to see patterns in it, so at that point I can excise any irrelevancies and start working on supporting and enabling the patterns that have appeared.

    Once I get a pattern, it becomes my roadmap.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #15
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I find writing in the early stages to be a pain. It's because my personality is reactive and observing, and I need raw data in which to see patterns.

    So at first I'm just flinging poo at the walls to get a bunch of poo out there, and then I suddenly start to see patterns in it, so at that point I can excise any irrelevancies and start working on supporting and enabling the patterns that have appeared.

    Once I get a pattern, it becomes my roadmap.
    Yupp, that's pretty much how it works for me as well. At least I hope so

    Good luck for tonight, but don't stress yourself out too much, its supposed to be fun! A nice mental time off from everythig else.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #16
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Yupp, that's pretty much how it works for me as well. At least I hope so

    Good luck for tonight, but don't stress yourself out too much, its supposed to be fun! A nice mental time off from everythig else.
    Sigh. As you guys might have noticed, I'm kind of hard on myself. Also, when I was depressed all those years, it was how I survived -- I would just push myself and focus on making myself do things.

    The problem is that I have been "relaxing and floating" for many months/years and not doing any of this, and I'm in my 40's now. Unless I push myself and stick to a routine, I'm afraid I might never write anything. You know how that works -- I have to shift my inertia from dead-stop to "moving in any direction" and then I can just maintain it.

    So if you tell me to relax, what'll happen is that I will just play computer games for the next three months and watch movies, and not accomplish a darned thing. Sooooo....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #17
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh. As you guys might have noticed, I'm kind of hard on myself. Also, when I was depressed all those years, it was how I survived -- I would just push myself and focus on making myself do things.

    The problem is that I have been "relaxing and floating" for many months/years and not doing any of this, and I'm in my 40's now. Unless I push myself and stick to a routine, I'm afraid I might never write anything. You know how that works -- I have to shift my inertia from dead-stop to "moving in any direction" and then I can just maintain it.

    So if you tell me to relax, what'll happen is that I will just play computer games for the next three months and watch movies, and not accomplish a darned thing. Sooooo....
    This is why we will form a writer's group So that we don't just play computer games.

    You are beyond hard on yourself. *Wraps you with marshmallows and pillows*

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    LOL!

    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    This weekend has been a little better. I am still behind on the wordcount, but things are slowly improving. I have gotten about 2000 words down since midnight (my timezone) and now have a current total of 6275 words.

    According to the book, a fast typer can get the 1667 words per day done in an hour, a slow typer in 2 hours. I needed 8 hours in front of the computer to get there, so clearly I'm doing something wrong....and I have a pretty good idea what it is.

    1. I'm forcing myself to write from the first to the last chapter without too much jumping around instead of getting a skeleton and then beefing it up. That means that even though I have a basic idea of where the plot is supposed to go, I am still fiddling with the details of the introductory chapters, trying to draw them out as long as possible. Surprisingly, even though I can rather verbose both on the forum and IRL, I do prefer to be concise in storytelling and essays and have always had a problem with padding things out to reach a certain minimum wordcount.

    2. Even though the whole frigging idea of NaNoWriMo is to avoid perfectionism and just write anything, just go for it and see what happens, I still catch myself trying to be witty and rephrase every other sentence a dozen times until it is right. THAT IS NOT WHAT NANOWRIMO IS ABOUT AND IT'S GOTTA STOP RIGHT HERE AND NOW!!!!! I hereby pledge to really go for mass over quality and spit out as many pages as I can in order to catch up.

    I have seen the debates on the NaNoWriMo forum and there are two schoola, those who want to get to 50k no matter what it takes (including cheating) and those who use the opportunity to write some quality, no matter how much they have produced by the end of the month. For me persolly, even though I have secretly been dreaming of being a writer ever since I could write complete sentences, this year at least is definitely about perseverance over quality. I am notoriously bad at sticking to things and it has seriously, very seriously, bothered me for a long, long time. So I want to see this through, mainly to prove to myself that I can do it. Hopefully this will be something that I can look back on and say "hey, somehow I managed to do that, so why not this other thing as well?!"
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  10. #20
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Also, I did some calculations while I was, ehm, powdering my nose, and came up with the following:

    I now have almost two finished chapters at a little over 6.000 words, so let's say roughly 3.000 words makes a chapter. Now, if you wanted to go the classical route, I'd have either a three act or a five act plot, five is much more convenient (more room for plot to develope and insert twists, etc).
    I therefor propose a structure of five acts with three chapters each. That's 45.000 words. Add a little here and there and you've got yourself a 50k novel. Ta daaah!

    /Happy INTP is happy to have put this fuzzy thing into a structure


    Now all I have to do is write it...
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Mayan Calendar 2012 - the world will not end
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 09:58 PM
  2. [NT] Anyone have beliefs in 2012 Nibiru?
    By ProNeon in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
  3. 2012- Where Ends Meet, and People Freak!?
    By Mystic Zealot in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 12:56 AM
  4. 2012: Palin for President
    By 01011010 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
  5. Palin for president in 2012?
    By Usehername in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO