• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I had a heart attack when I read this...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks like it's confirmed. This means Michael Giacchino will perform the music score, and anyone besides John Williams composing a Star Wars movie score is just sick and wrong. (Don't you think so, [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]?)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks like it's confirmed. This means Michael Giacchino will perform the music score, and anyone besides John Williams composing a Star Wars movie score is just sick and wrong. (Don't you think so, [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]?)

In sorting through all the junk people have stored in my room, I happened upon the Star Wars trilogy; VHS set.
I'm throwing it in the trash.
But before I do, I'm taking a hammer to each individual tape. And maybe I'll jump up & down on the cases, for good measure.

(& no, I will not view them before I do this)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I doubt it is true...probably just a rumor.
If it is true...ugh.

J.J. Abrams sucks.

Sorry you feel that way.

I'm a little bothered at the fact he'll have to split his attention between ST and SW, but other than that, I'm actually a fan. He directed the only Mission Impossible movie I really liked, I'm a fan of his TV work, and Super 8 really grew on me. I also really like Cloverfield, which he produced.

I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.... They certainly could have picked a far worse director.

It looks like it's confirmed. This means Michael Giacchino will perform the music score, and anyone besides John Williams composing a Star Wars movie score is just sick and wrong.

Williams isn't going to be alive forever. At some point, someone else will have to start composing; why not now? Giacchino is exceptionally diverse; I'm sure he'll come up with something that can embody the new direction as well as tie back into Williams' approach.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If John Williams dies, then they should stop making Star Wars altogether.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If John Williams dies, then they should stop making Star Wars altogether.

Lol. Shit.

I was saying, "If Lucas keeps directing, then they should stop making Star Wars altogether." But no one would listen to me!

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks like it's confirmed. This means Michael Giacchino will perform the music score, and anyone besides John Williams composing a Star Wars movie score is just sick and wrong.

Considering that Giacchino got his big break by scoring the Jurassic Park: Lost World video game, this seems fitting. The circle is now complete.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I liked Cloverfield, too. But...

J.J. Abrams is a hack.

Everything he makes is instantly forgettable.

But so are four of the six Star Wars movies. He fits right in!

Seriously though, while I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I think he's just fine. He might bring a little (intentional) humor to the proceedings. That's been sorely lacking in the five movies since the original Star Wars, which actually had a sense of humor.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
But so are four of the six Star Wars movies. He fits right in!

Seriously though, while I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I think he's just fine. He might bring a little (intentional) humor to the proceedings. That's been sorely lacking in the five movies since the original Star Wars, which actually had a sense of humor.

You, like, don't know what you're talking about, man...
Empire is the bee's knees.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Exactly. Plus, I can't wait to find out why there are polar bears on Tatooine!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked Cloverfield, too. But...

J.J. Abrams is a hack.

Everything he makes is instantly forgettable.

Super 8 was good. He did quite well with Star Trek, considering what a weak script it had. And it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Super 8 was good. He did quite well with Star Trek, considering what a weak script it had. And it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks.

Super 8 was better than good. Star Trek was very good, provided you didn't think about it too hard afterwards.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bullshit. Search for Spock, ftw.

Meh. I just actually watched this last night (and the Wrath of Khan, the night before) after years of not seeing either, and I was kind of disappointed in ST3. Khan was easily the better movie. The script had great character development and was REALLY tight -- everything tied together, the whole movie deals with aging and death and how it's an integral part of life. (Even the Genesis concept is part of that vision.) Just really good writing.

However, there were particular scenes in ST3 that were decent, and it was the first time I think we saw the new spin on the Klingons, including their language, their crabby foreheads, their costumes, and their culture.

I also actually like Robin Curtis' portrayal of Saavik much better than Kirstie Alley's -- the latter of which I don't consider much of an actor. She merely was every geekboy's wetfandream IMO, but she really didn't do much with the role. Saavik is half-Romulan, half-Vulcan, and I felt that Curtis' portrayal was MUCH more on target and also modeled later presentation of those races in the various ST tv series.

Favorite scenes.... Kirk finding Bones in Spock's quarters, Sarek's visiting Kirk, stealing the Enterprise (just a cool idea), and then what Kirk does to "turn death into a fighting chance for life." I saw that movie in the theater with a friend in high school, and my heart broke watching that entire scene; it was the end of an era. But the crew kept on going.

RE: Super 8. It was one of those movies (like Gattaca) that I was kind of disappointed in the first time I saw it... and then I found myself watching it again... and then again... and again. I really like both of those movies now. I guess it just didn't fit my expectations the first time out.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Meh. I just actually watched this last night (and the Wrath of Khan, the night before) after years of not seeing either, and I was kind of disappointed in ST3. Khan was easily the better movie. The script had great character development and was REALLY tight -- everything tied together, the whole movie deals with aging and death and how it's an integral part of life. (Even the Genesis concept is part of that vision.) Just really good writing.

Agreed.

However, there were particular scenes in ST3 that were decent, and it was the first time I think we saw the new spin on the Klingons, including their language, their crabby foreheads, their costumes, and their culture.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture begins with the revamped Klingons.

I also actually like Robin Curtis' portrayal of Saavik much better than Kirstie Alley's -- the latter of which I don't consider much of an actor. She merely was every geekboy's wetfandream IMO, but she really didn't do much with the role. Saavik is half-Romulan, half-Vulcan, and I felt that Curtis' portrayal was MUCH more on target and also modeled later presentation of those races in the various ST tv series.

Saavik sucks.

Favorite scenes.... Kirk finding Bones in Spock's quarters, Sarek's visiting Kirk, stealing the Enterprise (just a cool idea), and then what Kirk does to "turn death into a fighting chance for life." I saw that movie in the theater with a friend in high school, and my heart broke watching that entire scene; it was the end of an era. But the crew kept on going.

You can't slingshot around the sun in an Enterprise...

RE: Super 8. It was one of those movies (like Gattaca) that I was kind of disappointed in the first time I saw it... and then I found myself watching it again... and then again... and again. I really like both of those movies now. I guess it just didn't fit my expectations the first time out.

Never seen Gattaca.

Super 8 was a shining example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern blockbusters, made in the spirit of a time when large-scale fare was "magical" and actually connected to viewers (i.e.: 70's-era Spielberg).

Abrams is a logical, low-risk bet for Disney. He'll get asses in the seats for sure, but he just doesn't have it in him to "take it to the next level" in terms of filmmaking craft.

And at the end of the day, this is what Star Wars has ALWAYS been about.

Abrams can keep his shitty Star Trek movies; Captain Kirk and co. haven't been cool since the early 80s.
But he can stay the fuck away from my Star Wars.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Star Trek: The Motion Picture begins with the revamped Klingons.

I haven't seen it, actually, so I wouldn't know. Drat, though.

I just found it on VEEHD yesterday, though, and had planned to watch it.

Abrams can keep his shitty Star Trek movies; Captain Kirk and co. haven't been cool since the early 80s.
But he can stay the fuck away from my Star Wars.

Well, sounds like you're screwed. Alas.
Who would like to direct the second one?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I haven't seen it, actually, so I wouldn't know. Drat, though.

I just found it on VEEHD yesterday, though, and had planned to watch it.

Don't. It's garbage. Unless you're combating insomnia, stay away.
Good score, though. Jerry Goldsmith was always dependable, even on bad days.

Well, sounds like you're screwed. Alas.
Who would like to direct the second one?

Not screwed, exactly. I never expected much from it.

As for the second one: Nobody.
This is a vanity project. Leave well enough alone.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You didn't really have a heart attack, did you?