User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: I had a heart attack when I read this...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    You, like, don't know what you're talking about, man...
    Empire is the bee's knees.
    But that's one of the two that I think are good.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I liked Cloverfield, too. But...

J.J. Abrams is a hack.

Everything he makes is instantly forgettable.
    Super 8 was good. He did quite well with Star Trek, considering what a weak script it had. And it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Super 8 was good.
    Bullshit.

He did quite well with Star Trek, considering what a weak script it had. And it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks.
    Bullshit. Search for Spock, ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Super 8 was good. He did quite well with Star Trek, considering what a weak script it had. And it was the best of the odd-numbered Treks.
    Super 8 was better than good. Star Trek was very good, provided you didn't think about it too hard afterwards.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Bullshit. Search for Spock, ftw.
    Meh. I just actually watched this last night (and the Wrath of Khan, the night before) after years of not seeing either, and I was kind of disappointed in ST3. Khan was easily the better movie. The script had great character development and was REALLY tight -- everything tied together, the whole movie deals with aging and death and how it's an integral part of life. (Even the Genesis concept is part of that vision.) Just really good writing.

However, there were particular scenes in ST3 that were decent, and it was the first time I think we saw the new spin on the Klingons, including their language, their crabby foreheads, their costumes, and their culture.

I also actually like Robin Curtis' portrayal of Saavik much better than Kirstie Alley's -- the latter of which I don't consider much of an actor. She merely was every geekboy's wetfandream IMO, but she really didn't do much with the role. Saavik is half-Romulan, half-Vulcan, and I felt that Curtis' portrayal was MUCH more on target and also modeled later presentation of those races in the various ST tv series.

Favorite scenes.... Kirk finding Bones in Spock's quarters, Sarek's visiting Kirk, stealing the Enterprise (just a cool idea), and then what Kirk does to "turn death into a fighting chance for life." I saw that movie in the theater with a friend in high school, and my heart broke watching that entire scene; it was the end of an era. But the crew kept on going.

RE: Super 8. It was one of those movies (like Gattaca) that I was kind of disappointed in the first time I saw it... and then I found myself watching it again... and then again... and again. I really like both of those movies now. I guess it just didn't fit my expectations the first time out.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Meh. I just actually watched this last night (and the Wrath of Khan, the night before) after years of not seeing either, and I was kind of disappointed in ST3. Khan was easily the better movie. The script had great character development and was REALLY tight -- everything tied together, the whole movie deals with aging and death and how it's an integral part of life. (Even the Genesis concept is part of that vision.) Just really good writing.
    Agreed.

However, there were particular scenes in ST3 that were decent, and it was the first time I think we saw the new spin on the Klingons, including their language, their crabby foreheads, their costumes, and their culture.
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture begins with the revamped Klingons.

I also actually like Robin Curtis' portrayal of Saavik much better than Kirstie Alley's -- the latter of which I don't consider much of an actor. She merely was every geekboy's wetfandream IMO, but she really didn't do much with the role. Saavik is half-Romulan, half-Vulcan, and I felt that Curtis' portrayal was MUCH more on target and also modeled later presentation of those races in the various ST tv series.
    Saavik sucks.

Favorite scenes.... Kirk finding Bones in Spock's quarters, Sarek's visiting Kirk, stealing the Enterprise (just a cool idea), and then what Kirk does to "turn death into a fighting chance for life." I saw that movie in the theater with a friend in high school, and my heart broke watching that entire scene; it was the end of an era. But the crew kept on going.
    You can't slingshot around the sun in an Enterprise...

RE: Super 8. It was one of those movies (like Gattaca) that I was kind of disappointed in the first time I saw it... and then I found myself watching it again... and then again... and again. I really like both of those movies now. I guess it just didn't fit my expectations the first time out.
    Never seen Gattaca.

Super 8 was a shining example of EVERYTHING that is wrong with modern blockbusters, made in the spirit of a time when large-scale fare was "magical" and actually connected to viewers (i.e.: 70's-era Spielberg).

Abrams is a logical, low-risk bet for Disney. He'll get asses in the seats for sure, but he just doesn't have it in him to "take it to the next level" in terms of filmmaking craft.

And at the end of the day, this is what Star Wars has ALWAYS been about.

Abrams can keep his shitty Star Trek movies; Captain Kirk and co. haven't been cool since the early 80s.
    But he can stay the fuck away from my Star Wars.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Star Trek: The Motion Picture begins with the revamped Klingons.
    I haven't seen it, actually, so I wouldn't know. Drat, though.

I just found it on VEEHD yesterday, though, and had planned to watch it.

Abrams can keep his shitty Star Trek movies; Captain Kirk and co. haven't been cool since the early 80s.
    But he can stay the fuck away from my Star Wars.
    Well, sounds like you're screwed. Alas.
    Who would like to direct the second one?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned Array
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I haven't seen it, actually, so I wouldn't know. Drat, though.

I just found it on VEEHD yesterday, though, and had planned to watch it.
    Don't. It's garbage. Unless you're combating insomnia, stay away.
    Good score, though. Jerry Goldsmith was always dependable, even on bad days.

Well, sounds like you're screwed. Alas.
    Who would like to direct the second one?
    Not screwed, exactly. I never expected much from it.

As for the second one: Nobody.
    This is a vanity project. Leave well enough alone.

philosopher wood nymph Array greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

You didn't really have a heart attack, did you?

6w5, 4w3, 1w9 (probably)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    You didn't really have a heart attack, did you?
    No, his heart is buried in a secret place that no one know about, like every dark lord of the underworld.