123 Last

Thread: DOTA 2

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default DOTA 2

who here plays?
    for those who do, i can be found in channel NVCC

for those of you who don't, DOTA [2] a part of a relatively young gaming genre known as MOBA.
    it consists of a finite battle arena with a variety of characters to choose from to form a unique team of five, pitted against another team of five in a battle of not only skill, not only wits, but both.

give it a shot, if you haven't already.
    but whatever you do, don't get into LoL or HoN. those games are for noobs

i already made a thread on this topic once before, but it's been a while, and the game has changed.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

DOTA is full of elitists, nitpickers, and backstabbers who are more than happy to throw you under the bus if you don't have a thorough and complete/perfect understanding of all the mechanics, and you don't conform to the playstyle of their choice. Back in the mid-2000's I would play on battle.net. I decided to try out Warcraft 3 DOTA a few times.
    My own team sided against me because I only had some knowledge of the game. Not only was I harrassed when I defended myself, but ignoring the chat just caused more of an uproar.

Apparently you needed to theory-craft, and refine your game through single-player mode, before you even considered playing online.
    I don't think you are presenting all the information, unless those attitudes were strictly only for Warcraft 3 DOTA.

MBTI
    ENTP

all MOBAs [LoL, WCIII DotA, HoN, DOTA2] are notorious for their steep learning curve and excessively critical constituency. if this bothers you, then MOBA isn't for you.
    i think it should be obvious by virtue of the fact that i wrote ~4 sentences that i'm not presenting all the information. i did, however include numerous links from which a person can educate themselves. i don't know where you can acuire beta keys since the sources change so frequently, so i didn't provide a link.

word to the wise: a thicker skin is becoming of anyone.
    just ask pudge
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

i have about thirty Dota 2 beta keys. all of my friends either have, or do not want them.

anyone here is invited to one or more.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    all MOBAs [LoL, WCIII DotA, HoN, DOTA2] are notorious for their steep learning curve and excessively critical constituency. if this bothers you, then MOBA isn't for you.
    i think it should be obvious by virtue of the fact that i wrote ~4 sentences that i'm not presenting all the information. i did, however include numerous links from which a person can educate themselves. i don't know where you can acuire beta keys since the sources change so frequently, so i didn't provide a link.

word to the wise: a thicker skin is becoming of anyone.
    just ask pudge
    On the other hand, just because the communities are putrid (they are), doesn't mean we should actually accept the behavior either. It perpetuates it and allows it to continue. Anyway for most of the part the LoL community isn't terrible but hardly something I'd put on my top 10 as best gaming community ever (well, WoW didn't fall in that category either at the end of the day, neither does Diablo).

But yeah, mobas have steep learning curves and learning to not take offense when people call you noob or idiot is kind of mandatory in order to play the game and not lose your sanity in the progress. Usually those who are the most vocal calling others noob tend to also actually be the ones who make very obvious mistakes but are afraid of admitting them. I also love how even the lower bracket players embrace this attitude as if they are professional. Then I'd say it's actually justify to start calling others noobs.

As for the OP, I don't play DOTA2 or have an interest in it at the end of the day. Part because I've invested so much in LoL and I know the DOTA community is worse.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    On the other hand, just because the communities are putrid (they are), doesn't mean we should actually accept the behavior either. It perpetuates it and allows it to continue. Anyway for most of the part the LoL community isn't terrible but hardly something I'd put on my top 10 as best gaming community ever (well, WoW didn't fall in that category either at the end of the day, neither does Diablo).

But yeah, mobas have steep learning curves and learning to not take offense when people call you noob or idiot is kind of mandatory in order to play the game and not lose your sanity in the progress. Usually those who are the most vocal calling others noob tend to also actually be the ones who make very obvious mistakes but are afraid of admitting them. I also love how even the lower bracket players embrace this attitude as if they are professional. Then I'd say it's actually justify to start calling others noobs.

As for the OP, I don't play DOTA2 or have an interest in it at the end of the day. Part because I've invested so much in LoL and I know the DOTA community is worse.
    in my experience with smurfs, the lower bracket play is largely immune to the poor sportsmanship of the medium-high skill tiers. unfortunately, matchmaking in dota 2 often matches high skill players with medium skill opponents/teammates. it's not always true, but there are conditions where this takes place.

as far as LoL vs. DOTA 2, i'd rather play the better game than play with the better community. i'm not saying DOTA is better, but in my opinion it is, so i don't care that the community is "better" in LOL. i just don't like LOL.
    i have a tendency to just mute everyone at level 1, because honestly, a well timed ping is all the communication you need. you can't be advising people on how to play their hero, or "champ" or whatever it is LoL call them, in the middle of a teamfight. if they know what to do a ping is good enough - they'll know what to do: if you have to tell them, the teamfight is probably over before they can pull it off.

muting people solves the problem of a bad community.

but i agree with you. if we ever expect to be taken seriously -- if eSports ever expects to be taken seriously, we have to engage in actual sportsmanship. baseball and football have their share of unsportsmanlike conduct, but it's nowhere near what it is in eSports.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

attention doubters:

that's $8.3M in player contributions.

like it or not, dota is the actual shit.
    we fukin won boys

Who do you think wins the International?

MBTI
    ENTP

DK will beat EG in the grand finals
    we fukin won boys

On Saturday, after Alliance's performance against C9, I was willing to believe they could win TI. After yesterday's finals at the ESL One, it appears IG will take it... unless Bulldog gets Furion.