• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DOTA 2

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

who here plays?
for those who do, i can be found in channel NVCC

for those of you who don't, DOTA [2] a part of a relatively young gaming genre known as MOBA.
it consists of a finite battle arena with a variety of characters to choose from to form a unique team of five, pitted against another team of five in a battle of not only skill, not only wits, but both.

give it a shot, if you haven't already.
but whatever you do, don't get into LoL or HoN. those games are for noobs :)

i already made a thread on this topic once before, but it's been a while, and the game has changed.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
DOTA is full of elitists, nitpickers, and backstabbers who are more than happy to throw you under the bus if you don't have a thorough and complete/perfect understanding of all the mechanics, and you don't conform to the playstyle of their choice. Back in the mid-2000's I would play on battle.net. I decided to try out Warcraft 3 DOTA a few times.
My own team sided against me because I only had some knowledge of the game. Not only was I harrassed when I defended myself, but ignoring the chat just caused more of an uproar.

Apparently you needed to theory-craft, and refine your game through single-player mode, before you even considered playing online.
I don't think you are presenting all the information, unless those attitudes were strictly only for Warcraft 3 DOTA.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
all MOBAs [LoL, WCIII DotA, HoN, DOTA2] are notorious for their steep learning curve and excessively critical constituency. if this bothers you, then MOBA isn't for you.
i think it should be obvious by virtue of the fact that i wrote ~4 sentences that i'm not presenting all the information. i did, however include numerous links from which a person can educate themselves. i don't know where you can acuire beta keys since the sources change so frequently, so i didn't provide a link.

word to the wise: a thicker skin is becoming of anyone.
just ask pudge :)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i have about thirty Dota 2 beta keys. all of my friends either have, or do not want them.

anyone here is invited to one or more.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
all MOBAs [LoL, WCIII DotA, HoN, DOTA2] are notorious for their steep learning curve and excessively critical constituency. if this bothers you, then MOBA isn't for you.
i think it should be obvious by virtue of the fact that i wrote ~4 sentences that i'm not presenting all the information. i did, however include numerous links from which a person can educate themselves. i don't know where you can acuire beta keys since the sources change so frequently, so i didn't provide a link.

word to the wise: a thicker skin is becoming of anyone.
just ask pudge :)

On the other hand, just because the communities are putrid (they are), doesn't mean we should actually accept the behavior either. It perpetuates it and allows it to continue. Anyway for most of the part the LoL community isn't terrible but hardly something I'd put on my top 10 as best gaming community ever (well, WoW didn't fall in that category either at the end of the day, neither does Diablo).

But yeah, mobas have steep learning curves and learning to not take offense when people call you noob or idiot is kind of mandatory in order to play the game and not lose your sanity in the progress. Usually those who are the most vocal calling others noob tend to also actually be the ones who make very obvious mistakes but are afraid of admitting them. I also love how even the lower bracket players embrace this attitude as if they are professional. Then I'd say it's actually justify to start calling others noobs.

As for the OP, I don't play DOTA2 or have an interest in it at the end of the day. Part because I've invested so much in LoL and I know the DOTA community is worse.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
On the other hand, just because the communities are putrid (they are), doesn't mean we should actually accept the behavior either. It perpetuates it and allows it to continue. Anyway for most of the part the LoL community isn't terrible but hardly something I'd put on my top 10 as best gaming community ever (well, WoW didn't fall in that category either at the end of the day, neither does Diablo).

But yeah, mobas have steep learning curves and learning to not take offense when people call you noob or idiot is kind of mandatory in order to play the game and not lose your sanity in the progress. Usually those who are the most vocal calling others noob tend to also actually be the ones who make very obvious mistakes but are afraid of admitting them. I also love how even the lower bracket players embrace this attitude as if they are professional. Then I'd say it's actually justify to start calling others noobs.

As for the OP, I don't play DOTA2 or have an interest in it at the end of the day. Part because I've invested so much in LoL and I know the DOTA community is worse.

in my experience with smurfs, the lower bracket play is largely immune to the poor sportsmanship of the medium-high skill tiers. unfortunately, matchmaking in dota 2 often matches high skill players with medium skill opponents/teammates. it's not always true, but there are conditions where this takes place.

as far as LoL vs. DOTA 2, i'd rather play the better game than play with the better community. i'm not saying DOTA is better, but in my opinion it is, so i don't care that the community is "better" in LOL. i just don't like LOL.
i have a tendency to just mute everyone at level 1, because honestly, a well timed ping is all the communication you need. you can't be advising people on how to play their hero, or "champ" or whatever it is LoL call them, in the middle of a teamfight. if they know what to do a ping is good enough - they'll know what to do: if you have to tell them, the teamfight is probably over before they can pull it off.

muting people solves the problem of a bad community.

but i agree with you. if we ever expect to be taken seriously -- if eSports ever expects to be taken seriously, we have to engage in actual sportsmanship. baseball and football have their share of unsportsmanlike conduct, but it's nowhere near what it is in eSports.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
attention doubters:

ti4_zpsc87c79f7.png

that's $8.3M in player contributions.

like it or not, dota is the actual shit.

Nicodemus

On Saturday, after Alliance's performance against C9, I was willing to believe they could win TI. After yesterday's finals at the ESL One, it appears IG will take it... unless Bulldog gets Furion.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
On Saturday, after Alliance's performance against C9, I was willing to believe they could win TI. After yesterday's finals at the ESL One, it appears IG will take it... unless Bulldog gets Furion.
yeah, you really just can't... not ban furion against [a]. his maelstrom>blink>orchid strat against heroes with escape spells [namely ember and mirana] basically means there's no safe place on the map to farm... ever: it's even worse if you don't have an escape. there is precisely one counter to faceless void right now. it's admiral bulldog's orchid malevolence.

i don't really think c9 is particularly strong right now. it's too easy to ban sing's stuff 'cause he's really only *good* at the stuff that's OP and in vogue right now - you wanted to ban mirana and ember anyway. either way, alliance has C9's number. that being said, as good as alliance is, i really think bulldog does all the work. say what you want about egm and akke making big plays, loda being good at getting away with greed... i feel almost all of alliance's wins revolve around bulldog's movement. i guess everyone else sees it too, because he got MVP as ESL even though they didn't even make it to the grand final. it also doesn't help that the offlane is so easy these days that you can basically put any hero there, which, naturally means more spell-farming carries. anyone who can duck into the jungle for 3 minutes and come out with an extra 2k net worth after getting lvl 7 e.g. void, bristleback, doom: those are not bOne7 heroes, but the metagame currently demands 2-3 hard carries thanks to EG's orbit around arteezy and his ceaseless rice-fest.

i would be excited to see lifestealer show his face in the offlane soon again... i think that's long overdue. if void can do it, lifestealer can do it. maybe not to the same effect, but lifestealer is a fun hero to watch so i may be biased.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i am in seattle ready to watch this shit go down.
actually i've been up for like 18 hours almost so i'm about ready to go to sleep and get there early tomorrow.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Going to look for you in the crowd - from my home, of course.
you won't see me unless by some random shit kaci decides i'm worth talking to, which means you won't see me.
if you even knew what i looked like

Nicodemus

Even too hard for Arteezy.

Good news: IG is out.

Nocapszy, I give you $20 if you make sure that syndereN does not get to cast another match. He is such a nuisance.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'll give you $20 to never post in this thread again.
synderen's knowledge is unmatched among casters. by an incredible margin, in fact. and he notices small things that other caster's don't, which cause them to call things out mistakenly...

nevermind. just deal with it. synderen is the shit.

Nicodemus

Ah, so there are people who are impressed by his posturing. We call him Captain Obvious here.