Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I still get freaked out alone in old houses, in the dark; but that's about all Sinister brought to me, playing off those fears... a bunch of separated momentary freak-outs. I mean, if I were in a house where I knew I locked something away, and the damn thing suddenly would show up again playing, I would be the hell out of there.
    You know, movie about haunted mansions are always interesting, often because of the art direction. In fact, I enjoyed The Haunting -- directed by Jan De Bont, mastermind of Twister, Speed, and Speed 2 -- precisely for the creepiness of the house. And at times, it was quite atmospheric, and the sound effects were also quite eerie. I can't really figure out why people thought that movie was so bad...unless they are using it solely as a comparison to the original movie by Robert Wise, which I haven't seen.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    You know, movie about haunted mansions are always interesting, often because of the art direction. In fact, I enjoyed The Haunting -- directed by Jan De Bont, mastermind of Twister, Speed, and Speed 2 -- precisely for the creepiness of the house. And at times, it was quite atmospheric, and the sound effects were also quite eerie. I can't really figure out why people thought that movie was so bad...unless they are using it solely as a comparison to the original movie by Robert Wise, which I haven't seen.
    RT deep-sixed it with a 17%. The synopsis is: "Sophisticated visual effects fail to offset awkward performances and an uneven script."

Interestingly, Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs up with this comment: "To my surprise, I find myself recommending The Haunting on the basis of its locations, its sets, its art direction, its sound design, and the overall splendor of its visuals."

So that seems to gel with what you're saying.

I haven't seen it or the original (which gets high marks from what I've seen, based on both atmosphere AND on complex psychological profiles of the characters).

One of the reasons I enjoy the movie "Session 9" is because of location as well; what can fail with a movie shot in an actual vacated, aging asylum? The set is just damned creepy, with paint peeling off the walls, remnants of broken furniture in the halls, and areas like the crematorium. It would be scary to be in the depths of that beast when the power goes out. (Not that movie isn't also well-served by the slow disintegration of the lead's sanity + the series of revelatory 'therapy session' tapes of a dissociative patient... they just get worse and worse.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I think the best horror movies put you in the same atmosphere/situation that would scare you if you were there. I don't get scared by slasher films because I can't put myself in most of those situations. I got really, really wigged out by that movie several years ago that I think was called The Visitors or Strangers or something like that. I think Liv Tyler was in it. The premise was that a couple had to stay in a house in the middle of nowhere and three masked intruders showed up and started playing mind games with them. They'd bang on the door and there wouldn't be anyone there, then you'd catch a glimpse of someone in a mask. And then they wound up in the house. It was terrifying and claustrophobic and freaky because I could imagine being in that situation and not understanding what you were up against. And it really was random--the strangers had picked the house quite randomly and just wanted to eff with people's heads just for fun. The psychology of that just messes with me. The unfairness, the uncertainty, and not knowing if they mean to harm or kill you or just have some sadistic fun. I hated and loved that movie at the same time.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

RT deep-sixed it with a 17%. The synopsis is: "Sophisticated visual effects fail to offset awkward performances and an uneven script."
    Oh yeah, Owen Wilson was in it, wasn't he? And a young Catherine Zeta-Jones played a lesbian.

Interestingly, Roger Ebert gave it a thumbs up with this comment: "To my surprise, I find myself recommending The Haunting on the basis of its locations, its sets, its art direction, its sound design, and the overall splendor of its visuals."
    Wow, he and I agree on something? (I generally agreed more with Gene Siskel, though he did give The Silence of the Lambs a low rating, IIRC.)

Ebert usually only gives positive reviews to any movie set in Chicago, directed by Scorsese (though every critic does this), or about black people.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Ebert usually only gives positive reviews to any movie set in Chicago, directed by Scorsese (though every critic does this), or about black people.
    I've found him somewhat unpredictable as he ages. He's given decent marks to some movies I thought he'd pass on, and my general feeling he's given more positives in the last five years as well. (Although he gave The Human Centipede II no stars whatsoever, lol!)

I knew Zeta-Jones and Neeson were in the remake, but didn't remember Wilson. But I never saw it....

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I knew Zeta-Jones and Neeson were in the remake, but didn't remember Wilson. But I never saw it....
    The real Zeta-Jones is probably more attracted to Neeson than another woman.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've found him somewhat unpredictable as he ages. He's given decent marks to some movies I thought he'd pass on, and my general feeling he's given more positives in the last five years as well.
    Well, if you notice, he's always smiling:

(Although he gave The Human Centipede II no stars whatsoever, lol!)
    He gave zero stars to the first one, too. Although interestingly, he didn't really say anything bad about it...

He gave both I Spit on Your Grave films zero stars, as well, and the remake, as even he noted, was a professionally made film.

I'm starting to think he does this to all exploitation films that somehow creep their way into mainstream cinema, probably because in his mind, he sees them as being on the same level as video games, which he openly dismissed for not being art.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Lol... now there's an expose/hardcore discussion -- Were the two Centipede movies effective horror, and why or why not?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I think the best horror movies put you in the same atmosphere/situation that would scare you if you were there. I don't get scared by slasher films because I can't put myself in most of those situations. I got really, really wigged out by that movie several years ago that I think was called The Visitors or Strangers or something like that. I think Liv Tyler was in it. The premise was that a couple had to stay in a house in the middle of nowhere and three masked intruders showed up and started playing mind games with them. They'd bang on the door and there wouldn't be anyone there, then you'd catch a glimpse of someone in a mask. And then they wound up in the house. It was terrifying and claustrophobic and freaky because I could imagine being in that situation and not understanding what you were up against. And it really was random--the strangers had picked the house quite randomly and just wanted to eff with people's heads just for fun. The psychology of that just messes with me. The unfairness, the uncertainty, and not knowing if they mean to harm or kill you or just have some sadistic fun. I hated and loved that movie at the same time.
    You're stating something here that I've discovered in literature too (namely Stephen King plus some others) -- one of King's strengths is quickly creating people who feel real and even "normal" and then subjecting them to some really crazy stuff... sometimes supernatural, sometimes just psychological pressures... but he knows how to write unique "everyman" kinds of people, and they become the link that helps people remain anchored in the story even when more unbelievable things happen.

(I did look up The Strangers -- while overall it still tended to pan out mediocre/negative with the critics, the movie had both its defenders as well as obliging critics who all agreed the production values and the atmosphere of the house and the situation that you were describe were actually strengths of the movie, and they were mostly criticizing the actual plot/writing instead.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Lol... now there's an expose/hardcore discussion -- Were the two Centipede movies effective horror, and why or why not?
    No. Horror films induce fear, comedies induce laughter. Centipede falls in the latter category. Hell, the Human Centipede movies were even inspired by a joke that director Tom Six told his friends...