• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sinister (and further discussion on what makes horror work)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's sad but I find horror movies boring. It's not that I was anyhow resistant to horror but I find the whole genre boring. I have many friends, who like a lot of horror, splatter or causal dramatic movies like Battle Royale, Dawn of the Dead or Baise moi but I dont get it. On the contrary I find most of that movies even offensive.

When I have to watch a horror movies that aint too bloody but in which they try to shock the audience thru noise or sudden shockers suddenly appearing, I get extremly agitated. Cause I am easy to shock and I hate being shocked.

Dunno, not doing it on purpose :/

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Horror films induce fear, comedies induce laughter. Centipede falls in the latter category. Hell, the Human Centipede movies were even inspired by a joke that director Tom Six told his friends...

If it matters, I thought the b&w shot beautifully for THCII. Everything else about the movie was dreadful, and not in the positive sense.

But I did feel like it was just one big "ha ha made you look" joke pulled over on viewers who were into the first movie. Really. It was the biggest audience poke in the eye I've seen since Thomas Harris put out the book "Hannibal" -- it's really just one big joke.

I did have a visceral reaction to the mutilation aspect, however. Despite how bad the movie is, smashing teeth and hobbling people, etc., goes through some empathic channel and leaves me pretty unsettled. I felt it even more strongly in the first one. Those without as much empathic sense might be more immune to identifying with victims.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sinister 2

Congratulations, Sinister 2.

You are likely the only movie to come out this year that got a lower Rotten Tomatoes score than The Fantastic Four.

Well-done! Bravo!

(Think of the children!)

Edit: up to 11%. Alas.