• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favourite Painters

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
This may be a thread already, I'm too lethargic to look, but, as I'm considering taking Art History as a minor, who are your favourite painters -- though it's not necessary, if you could post a image link that would be much obliged.

I've found myself both intrigued and emotionally affected by the works of Munch, Van Gogh, Rothko, Da Vinci, Giotto, Vermeer, Cézanne, Seurat, and so and so forth.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The old Dutch Masters are a favorite. So are Leighton, Parrish, Sergeant, the Wyeths, Nagel, and it may not be "painting" but Mucha and Montaigne, as well. I'm also a big fan of Remington.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Off the top of my head; Edouard Manet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet, J. M. W. Turner, William Hogarth, John Constable, and Thomas Gainsborough.

Composition IV by Wassily Kandinsky is probably my most favourite painting ever. I liked most, if not all, of his paintings up to Composition IV, as that make the start of when he started doing 'completely' abstract work. I can not really appreciate abstract art.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've always been partial to Van Gogh and Turner. "Starry Night" is my favorite painting. It's even on my credit card :)

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
Ah yes Turner, I knew there was someone I forgot (even though I have this as my Desktop background http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/turner/i/rain-steam-speed.jpg), I love the raw power of his land/seascapes; and his allusive application of paint seems to be a harbinger for the impressionist aesthetic -- and in some respects the abstract expressionists, this Turner watercolour looks like a less somber Rothko: http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/turner/i/colour.jpg.

Off the top of my head; Edouard Manet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet, J. M. W. Turner, William Hogarth, John Constable, and Thomas Gainsborough.

Composition IV by Wassily Kandinsky is probably my most favourite painting ever. I liked most, if not all, of his paintings up to Composition IV, as that make the start of when he started doing 'completely' abstract work. I can not really appreciate abstract art.

Kandinsky's a fascinating painter, quite difficult too get into, though, to contradict you, I prefer his later works, particularly Composition VII.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Van Gogh is definitely my favorite painter. I love Waterhouse and Sargent for their portraits of women. I love the Impressionists. I really adore Edward Hopper--his paintings portray such a beautiful loneliness.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
There was a travelling tour to my local gallery recently of Da Vinci's preliminary sketches for many of his famous works.. complete with all the scribbles of his inventions in the border. It was quite entrancing.

Cerpin_Taxt

MBTI Type
INTP
Van Gogh is definitely my favorite painter. I love Waterhouse and Sargent for their portraits of women. I love the Impressionists. I really adore Edward Hopper--his paintings portray such a beautiful loneliness.

I’ve just been looking at a selection of Hopper paintings, I think you're right with your 'beautiful loneliness' analysis, his characters appear to be isolated in their own space, thus lending the works an inner torment, of sorts. I adore Van Gogh, and have a lot of respect for him as an Artist, for similar reasons stated above, his works exhibit an inner torment, or despair, in the face of existence, yet retain a playful delight, through his use of colour and contrast.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to be most obsessed with surrealists, like Magritte, Dali and Max Ernst. I was recently introduced to David Ho - I really enjoy some of his work too.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I really like Kandinsky. Klimt is also an obvious favorite.