User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP

Default Favourite Painters

This may be a thread already, I'm too lethargic to look, but, as I'm considering taking Art History as a minor, who are your favourite painters -- though it's not necessary, if you could post a image link that would be much obliged.

I've found myself both intrigued and emotionally affected by the works of Munch, Van Gogh, Rothko, Da Vinci, Giotto, Vermeer, Cézanne, Seurat, and so and so forth.
    One by one, over the months, the other bulbs burn out, and are gone. The first few of these hit Byron hard. He's still a new arrival, still hasn't accepted his immortality. But on through the burning hours he starts to learn about the transience of others: learns that loving them while they're here becomes easier, and also more intense—to love as if each design-hour will be the last.

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

I can't go on, I'll go on.

Samuel Beckett - The Unnamable

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

The old Dutch Masters are a favorite. So are Leighton, Parrish, Sergeant, the Wyeths, Nagel, and it may not be "painting" but Mucha and Montaigne, as well. I'm also a big fan of Remington.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Off the top of my head; Edouard Manet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet, J. M. W. Turner, William Hogarth, John Constable, and Thomas Gainsborough.

Composition IV by Wassily Kandinsky is probably my most favourite painting ever. I liked most, if not all, of his paintings up to Composition IV, as that make the start of when he started doing 'completely' abstract work. I can not really appreciate abstract art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

I've always been partial to Van Gogh and Turner. "Starry Night" is my favorite painting. It's even on my credit card
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Ah yes Turner, I knew there was someone I forgot (even though I have this as my Desktop background http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...team-speed.jpg), I love the raw power of his land/seascapes; and his allusive application of paint seems to be a harbinger for the impressionist aesthetic -- and in some respects the abstract expressionists, this Turner watercolour looks like a less somber Rothko: http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth...r/i/colour.jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Off the top of my head; Edouard Manet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Claude Monet, J. M. W. Turner, William Hogarth, John Constable, and Thomas Gainsborough.

Composition IV by Wassily Kandinsky is probably my most favourite painting ever. I liked most, if not all, of his paintings up to Composition IV, as that make the start of when he started doing 'completely' abstract work. I can not really appreciate abstract art.
    Kandinsky's a fascinating painter, quite difficult too get into, though, to contradict you, I prefer his later works, particularly Composition VII.
    One by one, over the months, the other bulbs burn out, and are gone. The first few of these hit Byron hard. He's still a new arrival, still hasn't accepted his immortality. But on through the burning hours he starts to learn about the transience of others: learns that loving them while they're here becomes easier, and also more intense—to love as if each design-hour will be the last.

MBTI
    INTP

Van Gogh is definitely my favorite painter. I love Waterhouse and Sargent for their portraits of women. I love the Impressionists. I really adore Edward Hopper--his paintings portray such a beautiful loneliness.

MBTI
    INXP

There was a travelling tour to my local gallery recently of Da Vinci's preliminary sketches for many of his famous works.. complete with all the scribbles of his inventions in the border. It was quite entrancing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Van Gogh is definitely my favorite painter. I love Waterhouse and Sargent for their portraits of women. I love the Impressionists. I really adore Edward Hopper--his paintings portray such a beautiful loneliness.
    I’ve just been looking at a selection of Hopper paintings, I think you're right with your 'beautiful loneliness' analysis, his characters appear to be isolated in their own space, thus lending the works an inner torment, of sorts. I adore Van Gogh, and have a lot of respect for him as an Artist, for similar reasons stated above, his works exhibit an inner torment, or despair, in the face of existence, yet retain a playful delight, through his use of colour and contrast.

MBTI
    INTP

I tend to be most obsessed with surrealists, like Magritte, Dali and Max Ernst. I was recently introduced to David Ho - I really enjoy some of his work too.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I really like Kandinsky. Klimt is also an obvious favorite.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.