• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Metal is derived from a 70's and 80's style that resemble bands like black sabbath, motorhead and metallica. Tool has an alternative sound similar to newer forms of "D-tuned" rock such as alice and chains, peach and helmet. All those bands came out in the early 90's with "D-tuned" guitars little soloing and heavy low key rhythm. So technically they should be in a genre called Alternative rock or Alternative Metal. It's fairly outside the box of "metal" as it is genuinely it's own style.

In the classic "heavy metal" sense, though, pretty much nothing in this thread is metal.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here are a few songs from one of my most favorite technical death metal cds. Ulcerate is probably one of the most unique bands of that style, sounds like if Deathspell Omega played death metal. Very intense and atmospheric stuff; they use a lot of weird chords and atonality, with a large range of dynamics and a strong 'wall of sound' feel, though it is far from indistinguishable as the production is very balanced. I don't expect anyone will like this, as it is pretty far out there and unorthodox, even for death metal, but I'm bored, so whatever.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And if you thought that was weird...heh.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Metal is derived from a 70's and 80's style that resemble bands like black sabbath, motorhead and metallica. Tool has an alternative sound similar to newer forms of "D-tuned" rock such as alice and chains, peach and helmet. All those bands came out in the early 90's with "D-tuned" guitars little soloing and heavy low key rhythm. So technically they should be in a genre called Alternative rock or Alternative Metal. It's fairly outside the box of "metal" as it is genuinely it's own style.

Metal. Is it metal?

:D

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here are a few songs from one of my favorite gothic metal cds, Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens. That one and An Elixir for Existence are really their only good ones. On both of those cds, Morten Veland (formerly of Tristania) does everything aside from some vocals done by one or two other people.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just came across this old school death metal gem I missed last year, a project done by members of Drudkh. In spite of it being their only release so far, it's awesome and easily shows that they really know their stuff.

Permabanned
yeah man

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
mu·sic
/ˈmyo͞ozik/
Noun
The art or science of combining vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.
The vocal or instrumental sound produced in this way.

Almost anything can be music, if it is created with a sense of harmony and found to emotionally resonate with someone.

The question that come afterwards of course is... is it good music? But that's an entirely different debate altogether.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is quite a lot of music out there that has little to no harmony (see the Ulcerate and Portal music I posted on the previous page for an example). That definition of music is rather archaic and excludes many genres.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's only one part of it. Even if the harmony is the most simplistic, basic kind that is conceivably imaginable, it's still a harmony.

Otherwise, it's just noise. Noise can be soothing, but it isn't music.