• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A thread for me :D

Of course metal is music because what separates music from ambient sounds and noise is that music possesses an intention and a structure. Certain ambient genres of course break this boundary down but metal does not try such a thing unless we're talking about some weird uber kult ambient black metal but even then I don't think it counts because it's first of all black metal, not minimalist ambient.

To video drop some of my favorite bands (because I can):

Godamn, I can't link a fifth but this one is also awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgXMmZcP_c

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to figure out the metal I like. I think I don't like guys screaming. Maybe I just like it live...?
Try Madder Mortem. They have a female lead singer who has a huge range of styles and dynamics. The rest of the music also reflects that.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to figure out the metal I like. I think I don't like guys screaming. Maybe I just like it live...?

I would suggest the typical starting point for people who are willing to explore metal so something like this:

Actually, in retrospect, how could I forget about Kamelot before?

Maybe if you're into a bit darker stuff:

If you want darker stuff and less fluff I try to think out something. Maybe you'd be more into classic metal then like Scorpions, Van Halen and so on.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To video drop some of my favorite bands (because I can):
I like those bands with the exception of the first two. Scar Symmetry in particular I can't stand; they are much too similar to Soilwork for my liking, very mainstream sounding and poppy. Overproduced and squeaky clean as well.

I can't stand power metal either, it's annoying as hell.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not only is metal music but it is probably the closest classical modern day interpretation of music to date. If you listen to the rhythms, time signatures and unconventional song structures you will hear it's very similar to classical.

What examples would you cite outside of actual neo-classical?

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like those bands with the exception of the first two. Scar Symmetry in particular I can't stand; they are much too similar to Soilwork for my liking, very mainstream sounding and poppy. Overproduced and squeaky clean as well.

I can't stand power metal either, it's annoying as hell.

I personally never got into Soilwork (I think I made some vague tries but it's the same with Arch Enemy, we just never truly clicked) and after seeing them live I got kind of deterred because it was one of the worst live concerts I've seen for a band that's supposed to be so established (there's this goth band that was playing before Dark Tranquillity or possibly Kamelot that takes the price though, I forgot their name but some random Italian one... they are good at producing female-fronted goth bands), part because the sound was absolutely terrible. A lot of sound was simply not there. I like Scar Symmetry's early work (first 3 albums). I think they became shit after Christian left. Before that I thought they had a nice blend between modern metal production value (like you say, poppishly streamlined) and a crossover link to more classical MDM and to a degree progessive too I think. It actually took time for me to appreciate Scar Symmetry too, but I think I started with the wrong album. Pitch Black Progress is clearly inferior to Holographic Universe and Symmetric in Design.

As for Machinae Supremacy, I think they're the kind of band you either love or hate I think. It took time for me to appreciate their music part because it's so godamn quirky and their singer sounds like shit until you learn to appreciate his presence in the band and what he actually adds/contributes to the music as a whole.

EDIT
I remembered the name of the bad goth band. They're called Forever Slave and had that entire vampire BDSM thing going on not just lyrically but ON STAGE. Except it wasn't sexy. Or I thought it wasn't.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
While I love a lot of melodic death metal and its probably my single most favorite genre of music, I really don't like straight death metal. I guess that's kind of odd.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Katatonia's newer work is much better than their older stuff. It's more original and atmospheric IMO. The song structure is great and it packs more of an emotional punch. I'm personally more into song structure and melody more in general it doesn't have to sound crazy technical to be good to me but the song itself has to have progression and melody that stands out.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
[MENTION=7278]jixmixfix[/MENTION]

Have you listened to the new Omnium Gatherum album yet?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Opeth, saw them in concert when I was 17 their music is beautiful, melodic, dark and heavy all at the same time.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Katatonia's newer work is much better than their older stuff. It's more original and atmospheric IMO. The song structure is great and it packs more of an emotional punch. I'm personally more into song structure and melody more in general it doesn't have to sound crazy technical to be good to me but the song itself has to have progression and melody that stands out.
Actually their death/doom material is not very complex at all.

I enjoy all forms of death metal, with the exception of deathcore (yuck) and death 'n' roll (death metal + rock). I am very particular about melodic death metal though. I'm not too fond of most of the newer bands, and I prefer ones that are heavier than what has been mentioned so far. Bands like Deathevokation, Dismember, Helcaraxë, Evocation, Unleashed, and early Sentenced. And of course the classic stuff and ones in that similar style like Carcass, At the Gates, [very early] In Flames, and The County Medical Examiners. Insomnium is one of the few exceptions to this.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get on it, brother.

Yeah, doesn't click. Omnium Gatherum is definitely not for me. I remember I listened to them before and since I didn't stick to it I guess I felt the same way back then.

I enjoy all forms of death metal, with the exception of deathcore (yuck) and death 'n' roll (death metal + rock). I am very particular about melodic death metal though. I'm not too fond of most of the newer bands, and I prefer ones that are heavier than what has been mentioned so far. Bands like Deathevokation, Dismember, Helcaraxë, Evocation, Unleashed, and early Sentenced. And of course the classic stuff and ones in that similar style like Carcass, At the Gates, [very early] In Flames, and The County Medical Examiners. Insomnium is one of the few exceptions to this.

Well, there's a fine line between classic death metal which in itself could be quite melodic e.g. Death and melodic death metal. They kind of overlap to a degree when we look at the more actual death metal influenced music. I mean, I listen to Intestine Baalism and while I can see why some would call them melodic death metal and they have moments of that, I don't feel it warrants putting the melodic prefix just because they sometimes sound more melodic.

Most of all when I listen to music I'm after a good atmosphere which is why I'm also attracted to the death/doom variant of death metal. Just death metal on its own rarely does it for me. There's a certain threshold a lot of melodic death metal bands reach that click well in terms of atmosphere.

I actually don't think Swallow the Sun has been mentioned in this thread so I'll go ahead:

I love Finnish metal. They have this way of approaching music that is just very beautiful. It's like they capture the Finnish spirit.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I dont like to catagorize bands too much because I think its innacurate and not a representation of their art. To me a band just has to sound good. I just like the way katatonia sounds as they are.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I dont like to catagorize bands too much because I think its innacurate and not a representation of their art. To me a band just has to sound good.
It's really just a shorthand way of saying what overall style a band plays, it's not putting them in a box.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I actually don't think Swallow the Sun has been mentioned in this thread so I'll go ahead:

I love Finnish metal. They have this way of approaching music that is just very beautiful. It's like they capture the Finnish spirit.
I like me some Swallow the Sun. Which album of theirs do you think is best/most accurately portrays their sound?