• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
if this isn't music fuck you
I'm pretty sure by now that consensus says it is music.

I wouldn't say that somebody's music wasn't music even if I thought it was a steaming pile of nasty shit.

I hereby commandeer this thread for the purposes of reveling in things that a few people don't want to hear. If you click it, it's your own fault!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] said.

(opening is a bit cheesy, but it's supposed to be.. it's power metal.)

And here's one with a chick singer, again, power-metal subgenre. Still metal. Still music.

Takes some significant skill to be able to play a lot of metal, AND to belt out notes like that without wrecking your larynx. I know some do the cookie monster growls (which even that requires some skill), but as for clean vox, some have had classical training to do that. It most certainly is music, regardless if you can detect the beauty or melody.

There's an interesting talk on Radiolab about how we perceive music, and dissonant sounds.. how we neurologically & emotionally respond to sounds- including music.
They discuss the debut of Tchaikovsky's Rite of Spring.. the dissonant sound was new, sinister- triggered aggressive responses. The audience broke out into fights. Old ladies were beating up one another. Needless to say, they collectively hated it.

Couple years later, the piece was presented again, and Tchaikovsky was lauded as a musical genius.

If you have an hour to kill, give this a listen: http://www.radiolab.org/2007/sep/24/

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]

They're typically in a key and a rhythm anyway. People just can't wrap their head around the rough texture.

Dissonance sounds TOTALLY different. But even dissonance has its place in music. We have a tendency to want to be in tune and rhythm and it takes a special kind of mind to NOT do that on purpose (without also being pretentious about it)

This isn't metal but I consider it a good example of how seemingly dissonant sounds are actually structured, we're just not typically used to hearing them in this way.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION]

They're typically in a key and a rhythm anyway. People just can't wrap their head around the rough texture.

Dissonance sounds TOTALLY different. But even dissonance has its place in music. We have a tendency to want to be in tune and rhythm and it takes a special kind of mind to NOT do that on purpose (without also being pretentious about it)

This isn't metal but I consider it a good example of how seemingly dissonant sounds are actually structured, we're just not typically used to hearing them in this way.

:yes: That's what I meant by dissonant, in terms of the key & rhythm being totally missed, on the part of the listener. I should've said 'seemingly dissonant.'

It's remarkable how the mind recalibrates to process new stimuli in new ways, when we give it the chance. And even when we don't.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
:yes: That's what I meant by dissonant, in terms of the key & rhythm being totally missed, on the part of the listener. I should've said 'seemingly dissonant.'

It's remarkable how the mind recalibrates to process new stimuli in new ways, when we give it the chance. And even when we don't.

Yeah. The difference between consonant and dissonant:

If all the distortion were stripped out of metal, as mentioned before, mostly it would be consonant, not dissonant. It might still be considered a dark or even aggressive or droning melody but it would still be one.

But then again, dissonance is a blurry line. Some chords we use now were probably thought to be dissonant way back when. Like dominant sevenths - they didn't even used to be considered a chord, but jazz musicians said "I don't care. I'm using it anyway." but time passed and now it is considered an actual chord.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh is this the thread where we share awesome metal videos? Cool cool.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I haven't liked all of Soilwork's stuff but this new single from their upcoming album ain't too shabby.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm pretty sure by now that consensus says it is music.

I wouldn't say that somebody's music wasn't music even if I thought it was a steaming pile of nasty shit.

I hereby commandeer this thread for the purposes of reveling in things that a few people don't want to hear. If you click it, it's your own fault!

The singer sounds like he's puking awesome!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Metal even inspires great cartoons.

I might've mentioned these before.. but I blame the 80s for my love of metal. Just look at this commercial from a popular toy back in the day.

And don't get me started on the metal cartoon intros. [some are just metal in vocals.. but still!]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Stream the new album in full (out on the 29th):

http://hatebreed.com/

Nothing new to see here. Good ole, classic, break stuff, metallic hardcore. At least they've got the formula down to a science. I only listen to this kind of stuff working out/running. That being said, I'll be adding this to its respective playlist when it comes out.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And could it still logically be considered music if you're one of those who doesn't consider rap music? Why or why not?

PS: Sorry, I didn't feel like hunting for Cyrillic characters.

They're both music. Not liking a form of music doesn't make it "not music."