• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And could it still logically be considered music if you're one of those who doesn't consider rap music? Why or why not?

PS: Sorry, I didn't feel like hunting for Cyrillic characters.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In 200 years time, they'd still be listening to Metallica.

Pantera too.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Metallica is not metal. I'm talking about screeching or growling into the microphone.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes, proper metal just needs some adjustment from brains to fully understand it.

In 200 years time, they'd still be listening to Metallica.

metallica is hard rock, or it was hard rock, now(since load) its just hard pop.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
You already lost the discussion with your failed definition of metal.

metal.jpg

metalmommy

so ready
yes, proper metal just needs some adjustment from brains to fully understand it.

metallica is hard rock, or it was hard rock, now(since load) its just hard pop.

Roots. Great album. Sepultura was not the same without Max.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
'Kay, guys, would you consider this music?

Because if I didn't consider rap music, I'd have to have second thoughts about calling this music, awesome though it sounds.

metalmommy

so ready
'Kay, guys, would you consider this music?

Because if I didn't consider rap music, I'd have second thoughts about calling this music, awesome though it sounds.

Eh. It's wannabe death metal. Not impressed, but if you want to be into death metal and the real thing is too much for you, this is a nice watered down version.

Perhaps I should mention i'm a metal snob... *cough*

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And could it still logically be considered music if you're one of those who doesn't consider rap music? Why or why not?

PS: Sorry, I didn't feel like hunting for Cyrillic characters.

What kind of question is that? "Can it logically be considered music?".

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eh. It's wannabe death metal. Not impressed, but if you want to be into death metal and the real thing is too much for you, this is a nice watered down version.

Perhaps I should mention i'm a metal snob... *cough*

It's not death metal. It's black metal (used to be NSBM, but not so much anymore), you metal snob, you.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Dude! Metal is as musical as it gets (seriously). If you think not, I'd have to question which "metal" bands you're listening to.

Listen to this and tell me it's not wonderful:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because if I didn't consider rap music, I'd have to have second thoughts about calling this music, awesome though it sounds.

That's music. The real question is..do you consider this singing?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Can't we just define music as a series of stimuli producing effects intended to produce a signal to the psyche by means of a persons auditory organs and be done with it?

Why complicate things?

metalmommy

so ready
It's not death metal. It's black metal (used to be NSBM, but not so much anymore), you metal snob, you.

Lol, yes, you're right. I was being lazy. Plus, I only had the patience to listen to the first 45 seconds or so. Even calling it black metal is a bit of a stretch...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't we just define music as a series of stimuli producing effects intended to produce a signal to the psyche by means of a person's auditory organs and be done with it?

Why complicate things?

Perhaps because certain genres of "music" lack melody.

metalmommy

so ready
That's music. The real question is..do you consider this singing?

Rap is not really about the "music" per se. The music part is just the vehicle for the lyrics. Good hip hop is about the words...what's being said. More stylized poetry, if you will. Now, the shit that's on the radio...well, that's a tougher argument for music...