63 94.03%
  • No, Nein, Nee, Nej, Nei, No, No, Não, Non, Nyet

4 5.97%
First 789101119 Last

WALMART

if this isn't music fuck you

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    if this isn't music fuck you
    I'm pretty sure by now that consensus says it is music.

I wouldn't say that somebody's music wasn't music even if I thought it was a steaming pile of nasty shit.

I hereby commandeer this thread for the purposes of reveling in things that a few people don't want to hear. If you click it, it's your own fault!

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

what @jontherobot said.

(opening is a bit cheesy, but it's supposed to be.. it's power metal.)

And here's one with a chick singer, again, power-metal subgenre. Still metal. Still music.

Takes some significant skill to be able to play a lot of metal, AND to belt out notes like that without wrecking your larynx. I know some do the cookie monster growls (which even that requires some skill), but as for clean vox, some have had classical training to do that. It most certainly is music, regardless if you can detect the beauty or melody.

There's an interesting talk on Radiolab about how we perceive music, and dissonant sounds.. how we neurologically & emotionally respond to sounds- including music.
    They discuss the debut of Tchaikovsky's Rite of Spring.. the dissonant sound was new, sinister- triggered aggressive responses. The audience broke out into fights. Old ladies were beating up one another. Needless to say, they collectively hated it.

Couple years later, the piece was presented again, and Tchaikovsky was lauded as a musical genius.

If you have an hour to kill, give this a listen: http://www.radiolab.org/2007/sep/24/
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

@Lexicon

They're typically in a key and a rhythm anyway. People just can't wrap their head around the rough texture.

Dissonance sounds TOTALLY different. But even dissonance has its place in music. We have a tendency to want to be in tune and rhythm and it takes a special kind of mind to NOT do that on purpose (without also being pretentious about it)

This isn't metal but I consider it a good example of how seemingly dissonant sounds are actually structured, we're just not typically used to hearing them in this way.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @Lexicon

They're typically in a key and a rhythm anyway. People just can't wrap their head around the rough texture.

Dissonance sounds TOTALLY different. But even dissonance has its place in music. We have a tendency to want to be in tune and rhythm and it takes a special kind of mind to NOT do that on purpose (without also being pretentious about it)

This isn't metal but I consider it a good example of how seemingly dissonant sounds are actually structured, we're just not typically used to hearing them in this way.
    That's what I meant by dissonant, in terms of the key & rhythm being totally missed, on the part of the listener. I should've said 'seemingly dissonant.'

It's remarkable how the mind recalibrates to process new stimuli in new ways, when we give it the chance. And even when we don't.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    That's what I meant by dissonant, in terms of the key & rhythm being totally missed, on the part of the listener. I should've said 'seemingly dissonant.'

It's remarkable how the mind recalibrates to process new stimuli in new ways, when we give it the chance. And even when we don't.
    Yeah. The difference between consonant and dissonant:

If all the distortion were stripped out of metal, as mentioned before, mostly it would be consonant, not dissonant. It might still be considered a dark or even aggressive or droning melody but it would still be one.

But then again, dissonance is a blurry line. Some chords we use now were probably thought to be dissonant way back when. Like dominant sevenths - they didn't even used to be considered a chord, but jazz musicians said "I don't care. I'm using it anyway." but time passed and now it is considered an actual chord.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    749 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Certainly not death metal...
    "I am making a friendship application and 'Do you think JUNO (film) is awesome?' is a compulsory question..."
    ~A Malazan Fallen~
    DFTBA!

---

58% RightBrained
    sp/sx[so]
    IEE
    ENFp
    7w6 4w5 9w8 - 749 Magical Thinker
    x|O|tWx
    sceuI
    Dismissive-Avoidant

MBTI
    ISTx

Got a new one for those that like ultra melodic death metal:

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh is this the thread where we share awesome metal videos? Cool cool.

-end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Sweet.