Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Si, Sì, Sim, Oui, Da

63 94.03%
  • No, Nein, Nee, Nej, Nei, No, No, Não, Non, Nyet

4 5.97%
First 67891018 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    If metal is music, is it still music if it's played by robots?

That's a Motorhead song, so yes. The robots are playing it but they did not make it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    That's a Motorhead song, so yes. The robots are playing it but they did not make it.
    Hah, thanks for clearing that up, Sprinkles. I was just looking for an OP relevant premise to post this vid.
    (I've seen Motorhead in concert.)

Hah, thanks for clearing that up, Sprinkles. I was just looking for an OP relevant premise to post this vid.
    (I've seen Motorhead in concert.)
    Haha sorry, I wasn't sure. The concept of robots making music is an interesting one so I thought that's what you were shooting for.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Haha sorry, I wasn't sure. The concept of robots making music is an interesting one so I thought that's what you were shooting for.
    No, but to make up for my fluff, I'll posit this. While a song played by a robot, composed by a human, is still music (functionally the same as playing a CD)... is a song played by a robot by an algorithm still music? And who's music is it?

No, but to make up for my fluff, I'll posit this. While a song played by a robot, composed by a human, is still music (functionally the same as playing a CD)... is a song played by a robot by an algorithm still music? And who's music is it?
    If it's not a self aware machine, I'd call it zombie music.

I take this from the concept of the philosophical zombie - indistinguishable from a normal human but lacks qualia. Superficially human but spiritually dead, effectively.

Also it's ironic that some metal bands know more about music than most people. They just CHOOSE to sound the way they do.

Take this for example:

Now compare it to this

You think they don't know how to make music?

Or how about this

vs this

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

@sprinkles Yeah, metal fans can be some of the most closed minded, musically... which does stand in contrast to almost any musician who cares enough to be good.

@sprinkles Yeah, metal fans can be some of the most closed minded, musically... which does stand in contrast to almost any musician who cares enough to be good.
    Yeah. I think some groups are shocked by the fans. They aren't about hating on stuff.

But then again some groups have assholes too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Just because any particular type of music doesn't sound good to you does not invalidate it as being art. Saying that it's just a bunch of worthless random talentless chaotic noise that nobody who has any semblance of a brain should ever enjoy is a knee-jerk reaction to being incapable of looking beyond the surface of what you do not personally enjoy in order to see all of the effort and talent that goes into composing and playing it. All art is subjective, especially so the enjoyment of art, so to push upon it any sort of haughty 'objective' judgement is just plain idiotic and immature. Not everyone is supposed to be exactly like you and have the same mindset as you. Music that does not fit inside your nice little narrow-mindedly definitive box is not worthless. There is an awful lot of music out there that I can't stand at all, but I am not so stupid as to go around claiming it isn't music just because I don't like it.

MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

There's no robot I've heard that sounds as great as Klaus Meine (Scorpions)!! I'm waiting for that....