User Tag List

View Poll Results: Metal. Is it music?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Si, Sì, Sim, Oui, Da

    63 94.03%
  • No, Nein, Nee, Nej, Nei, No, No, Não, Non, Nyet

    4 5.97%
First 6141516171826 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 266

  1. #151
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Rap is not music because it is twisted and ugly. It's noise and represents everything I despise and do not want near me.
    That is completely subjective, but I do not give a subjective f**k about it, either.
    Metal often sings of my ancestors and their deeds, or the glory of battle. I like that.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  2. #152
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    Rap is not music because it is twisted and ugly. It's noise and represents everything I despise and do not want near me.
    That is completely subjective, but I do not give a subjective f**k about it, either.
    Metal often sings of my ancestors and their deeds, or the glory of battle. I like that.
    YourLocalJesus, is that you?

  3. #153
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Listen to my link. Growling, yes it's in there but all things considered, it's a pretty good song, no?

    It's not fair to lump metal in with the argument that rap isn't music. Metal bands play all their instruments the same way any band does. A lot of it is very technical musically as well. Most of your real metal (I'm not talking about that crap you hear on the radio) is rooted in classical music.
    Most modern western music has classical roots. Not just metal. Also, FYI, there are rappers with live bands backing them, and it does take a lot of skill to rap, as if any of that had anything to do with whether or not it was music to begin with.
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  4. #154
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    It may be skillfully produced noise, but I wouldn't call that music. "Music" by my definition has some kind of harmony and pleasant sound to it. Preferably with a good beat that makes me want to move. I do consider rap music for all of these reasons.
    Pleasant is a subjective term. If people didn't find metal pleasant, they wouldn't listen to it. Not to say that all music entertains the mind in the same way, but there's some way that it registers with a person, otherwise they wouldn't subject themselves to it.
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  5. #155
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Most modern western music has classical roots. Not just metal. Also, FYI, there are rappers with live bands backing them, and it does take a lot of skill to rap, as if any of that had anything to do with whether or not it was music to begin with.
    And that's one of the few occasions I can listen to rap - when there's a real band backing.

  6. #156
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I have to figure out the metal I like. I think I don't like guys screaming. Maybe I just like it live...?
    Try Tool. (Now somebody's going to tell me they aren't metal, but that's just stupid)

    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  7. #157
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I like and appreciate Tool, but I wouldn't call them "metal" personally. Still not a bad suggestion though for someone looking for heavier edged music without screamy vocals.

  8. #158
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I like and appreciate Tool, but I wouldn't call them "metal" personally. Still not a bad suggestion though for someone looking for heavier edged music without screamy vocals.
    I can appreciate Tool. Especially the way they incorporate math and other complex ideas.


    Here's a totally unfounded and controversial theory: metal has roots in Germanic culture and rap in African culture. So metal represents the whitest of the white people and rap represents black people. So perhaps white people who don't resonate with African culture at all like metal and not rap, and black people who don't resonate with Germanic culture don't like metal.

    Now feel free to totally disprove this.

  9. #159
    . JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    eNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,850

    Default

    Gray areas are the most fun.









    symphonic metal.

  10. #160
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I can appreciate Tool. Especially the way they incorporate math and other complex ideas.


    Here's a totally unfounded and controversial theory: metal has roots in Germanic culture and rap in African culture. So metal represents the whitest of the white people and rap represents black people. So perhaps white people who don't resonate with African culture at all like metal and not rap, and black people who don't resonate with Germanic culture don't like metal.

    Now feel free to totally disprove this.
    metal has its roots in rock, which has its roots in blues, which is "black music"
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hi:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink:
  • :(
  • :cry:
  • :doh:
  • :mad:
  • :dry:
  • :shrug:
  • :blush:
  • :mellow:
  • :unsure:

Similar Threads

  1. Metal Musician Thread!
    By mrconfusion87 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-05-2016, 08:55 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 03:20 AM
  3. NTs and listening to metal
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
  4. Metal Appreciation Thread \m/
    By sketchymcsketcherson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM
  5. Metal Music
    By Noel in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO