Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Si, Sì, Sim, Oui, Da

63 94.03%
  • No, Nein, Nee, Nej, Nei, No, No, Não, Non, Nyet

4 5.97%
First 4121314151624 Last

Permabanned

Opeth, saw them in concert when I was 17 their music is beautiful, melodic, dark and heavy all at the same time.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    @jixmixfix

Have you listened to the new Omnium Gatherum album yet?
    nope

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    nope
    Get on it, brother.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Katatonia's newer work is much better than their older stuff. It's more original and atmospheric IMO. The song structure is great and it packs more of an emotional punch. I'm personally more into song structure and melody more in general it doesn't have to sound crazy technical to be good to me but the song itself has to have progression and melody that stands out.
    Actually their death/doom material is not very complex at all.

I enjoy all forms of death metal, with the exception of deathcore (yuck) and death 'n' roll (death metal + rock). I am very particular about melodic death metal though. I'm not too fond of most of the newer bands, and I prefer ones that are heavier than what has been mentioned so far. Bands like Deathevokation, Dismember, Helcaraxë, Evocation, Unleashed, and early Sentenced. And of course the classic stuff and ones in that similar style like Carcass, At the Gates, [very early] In Flames, and The County Medical Examiners. Insomnium is one of the few exceptions to this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Get on it, brother.
    Yeah, doesn't click. Omnium Gatherum is definitely not for me. I remember I listened to them before and since I didn't stick to it I guess I felt the same way back then.

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post

I enjoy all forms of death metal, with the exception of deathcore (yuck) and death 'n' roll (death metal + rock). I am very particular about melodic death metal though. I'm not too fond of most of the newer bands, and I prefer ones that are heavier than what has been mentioned so far. Bands like Deathevokation, Dismember, Helcaraxë, Evocation, Unleashed, and early Sentenced. And of course the classic stuff and ones in that similar style like Carcass, At the Gates, [very early] In Flames, and The County Medical Examiners. Insomnium is one of the few exceptions to this.
    Well, there's a fine line between classic death metal which in itself could be quite melodic e.g. Death and melodic death metal. They kind of overlap to a degree when we look at the more actual death metal influenced music. I mean, I listen to Intestine Baalism and while I can see why some would call them melodic death metal and they have moments of that, I don't feel it warrants putting the melodic prefix just because they sometimes sound more melodic.

Most of all when I listen to music I'm after a good atmosphere which is why I'm also attracted to the death/doom variant of death metal. Just death metal on its own rarely does it for me. There's a certain threshold a lot of melodic death metal bands reach that click well in terms of atmosphere.

I actually don't think Swallow the Sun has been mentioned in this thread so I'll go ahead:

I love Finnish metal. They have this way of approaching music that is just very beautiful. It's like they capture the Finnish spirit.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

Permabanned

I dont like to catagorize bands too much because I think its innacurate and not a representation of their art. To me a band just has to sound good. I just like the way katatonia sounds as they are.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I dont like to catagorize bands too much because I think its innacurate and not a representation of their art. To me a band just has to sound good.
    It's really just a shorthand way of saying what overall style a band plays, it's not putting them in a box.

Permabanned

It's really just a shorthand way of saying what overall style a band plays, it's not putting them in a box.
    Its clearly putting them in a box.

Permabanned

Its clearly putting them in a box.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    I actually don't think Swallow the Sun has been mentioned in this thread so I'll go ahead:

I love Finnish metal. They have this way of approaching music that is just very beautiful. It's like they capture the Finnish spirit.
    I like me some Swallow the Sun. Which album of theirs do you think is best/most accurately portrays their sound?