User Tag List

View Poll Results: Metal. Is it music?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Ja, Ja, Ja, Ja, Si, Sì, Sim, Oui, Da

    63 94.03%
  • No, Nein, Nee, Nej, Nei, No, No, Não, Non, Nyet

    4 5.97%
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 266

Thread: Metal. Is it music?

  1. #121
    Senior Member Array Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    A thread for me

    Of course metal is music because what separates music from ambient sounds and noise is that music possesses an intention and a structure. Certain ambient genres of course break this boundary down but metal does not try such a thing unless we're talking about some weird uber kult ambient black metal but even then I don't think it counts because it's first of all black metal, not minimalist ambient.

    To video drop some of my favorite bands (because I can):







    Godamn, I can't link a fifth but this one is also awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgXMmZcP_c

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  2. #122
    Senior Member Array _eric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I have to figure out the metal I like. I think I don't like guys screaming. Maybe I just like it live...?
    Try Madder Mortem. They have a female lead singer who has a huge range of styles and dynamics. The rest of the music also reflects that.








  3. #123
    Senior Member Array Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I have to figure out the metal I like. I think I don't like guys screaming. Maybe I just like it live...?
    I would suggest the typical starting point for people who are willing to explore metal so something like this:



    Actually, in retrospect, how could I forget about Kamelot before?

    Maybe if you're into a bit darker stuff:







    If you want darker stuff and less fluff I try to think out something. Maybe you'd be more into classic metal then like Scorpions, Van Halen and so on.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  4. #124
    Senior Member Array _eric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    To video drop some of my favorite bands (because I can):
    I like those bands with the exception of the first two. Scar Symmetry in particular I can't stand; they are much too similar to Soilwork for my liking, very mainstream sounding and poppy. Overproduced and squeaky clean as well.

    I can't stand power metal either, it's annoying as hell.

  5. #125
    Senior Member Array Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Not only is metal music but it is probably the closest classical modern day interpretation of music to date. If you listen to the rhythms, time signatures and unconventional song structures you will hear it's very similar to classical.
    What examples would you cite outside of actual neo-classical?

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  6. #126
    Senior Member Array Entropic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    I like those bands with the exception of the first two. Scar Symmetry in particular I can't stand; they are much too similar to Soilwork for my liking, very mainstream sounding and poppy. Overproduced and squeaky clean as well.

    I can't stand power metal either, it's annoying as hell.
    I personally never got into Soilwork (I think I made some vague tries but it's the same with Arch Enemy, we just never truly clicked) and after seeing them live I got kind of deterred because it was one of the worst live concerts I've seen for a band that's supposed to be so established (there's this goth band that was playing before Dark Tranquillity or possibly Kamelot that takes the price though, I forgot their name but some random Italian one... they are good at producing female-fronted goth bands), part because the sound was absolutely terrible. A lot of sound was simply not there. I like Scar Symmetry's early work (first 3 albums). I think they became shit after Christian left. Before that I thought they had a nice blend between modern metal production value (like you say, poppishly streamlined) and a crossover link to more classical MDM and to a degree progessive too I think. It actually took time for me to appreciate Scar Symmetry too, but I think I started with the wrong album. Pitch Black Progress is clearly inferior to Holographic Universe and Symmetric in Design.

    As for Machinae Supremacy, I think they're the kind of band you either love or hate I think. It took time for me to appreciate their music part because it's so godamn quirky and their singer sounds like shit until you learn to appreciate his presence in the band and what he actually adds/contributes to the music as a whole.

    EDIT
    I remembered the name of the bad goth band. They're called Forever Slave and had that entire vampire BDSM thing going on not just lyrically but ON STAGE. Except it wasn't sexy. Or I thought it wasn't.

    I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

  7. #127
    Senior Member Array swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    While I love a lot of melodic death metal and its probably my single most favorite genre of music, I really don't like straight death metal. I guess that's kind of odd.

  8. #128
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Katatonia's newer work is much better than their older stuff. It's more original and atmospheric IMO. The song structure is great and it packs more of an emotional punch. I'm personally more into song structure and melody more in general it doesn't have to sound crazy technical to be good to me but the song itself has to have progression and melody that stands out.

  9. #129
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    While I love a lot of melodic death metal and its probably my single most favorite genre of music, I really don't like straight death metal. I guess that's kind of odd.
    I'm the same way.

  10. #130
    Senior Member Array swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    @jixmixfix

    Have you listened to the new Omnium Gatherum album yet?

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Metal Musician Thread!
    By mrconfusion87 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-05-2016, 08:55 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 03:20 AM
  3. NTs and listening to metal
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM
  4. Metal Appreciation Thread \m/
    By sketchymcsketcherson in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM
  5. Metal Music
    By Noel in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •